“Pictures do NOT tell one thousand words”

Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here 6 nights and it was not what I saw online. Walls had viable holes, outlets hanging off walls which prevented me from using the clock. The halls and elevators looked like they haven't been vacuumed in days. The sleep number beds were broken. The restaurant inside the hotel was awful. The staff was okay but limited. Overall, I would not stay ever again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Larry S, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Reviewed 23 July 2014

A Wonderful experience for my husband and I and our three kids:) the staff was very helpful and courteous! All special requests were met and in a timely manner. The suite was very spacious with a good size kitchenette. Thanks so much for a great stay!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Traveler0987654

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Customer service is horrible. The booking mistake that they made was a great inconvenience. They were unwilling to even fix the mistake let alone offer any other suggestion. The woman at the front desk was very sarcastic and unhelpful.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Badu1996

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all the feedback we can get from our guests to ensure the best possible stay for all future guests. I have sent you a message on here so that I get get more information about your stay. Please contact me so I can resolve the issue you had and ensure that the same issue does not happen to other guests.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel suited our needs while we looked around Norfolk. Some minor issues with our room which were rectified by staff upon our request. Rooms were comfortable and staff were friendly. Wouldn't want to stay there for more than two nights, due to lack of amenities and things to do.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at this dump over the weekend while attending the jazz festival and all I can say is you're better off staying at Motel 6. First of all I love the view of public housing it was so scenic...not! The iron did not work so I called the front desk to request another one and they said they would send on right away.....30 minutes later when it arrived by someone blasting rap music thru her headphones, I just shook my head. Saturday the ice machines on all floors were broken. How? The only working one was in the lobby but the main thing was flushing the toilet. I had to fill the waste container with water to do so...I'm not lying and I called the front desk to complain and Charles reply was he had to speak to his Manager which was a run around. Let me give you some advice, do not do not stay here and shame on Booking.Com for listing this dump. Stay away from room 916!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sean S

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are so sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay here at the Norfolk Plaza. We have taken efforts to ensure that other guests will not have to deal with the issues that you had during your stay.

I hope that you will give us another try. In the future, if you contact me directly, I will ensure that your stay will be beyond your expectations.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel for the Jazz Festival this weekend. I have to take my hat off to them. We really had an enjoyable stay. The lobby and the decor were great, and rooms very pleasant. The hotel location was ideal, because it was close to everything we needed (Food, Drinks, and the festival. however what really made it a great stay was the Front Desk staff, and housekeeping. They made you feel very welcomed, and made you feel like they truly appreciated your business. They met the needs of our special request, and even made my brother honorary guest of the day. They printed up a plaque for him at the front desk, gave him a really nice room with a card and gift bag. Housekeeping made the towels into swans kissing on the bed. Housekeeping was always nearby to take care of any concerns we had. To top it off we got the room at a really great price. Matter of fact we're going to VA Beach in a few weeks, and plan to stay here for the better price.
Now there were “some” cons so I wouldn’t call this a 5 star hotel, but at least for us the Staff made it easy to overlook the small things.
Over all great place to stay!

Cynthia Pegram

Room Tip: Room on the front side of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_NP2, Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Ms. Pegram,

I am happy to hear that your stay at the Norfolk Plaza was an enjoyable one. I sincerely hope that you will be staying with us again, when in Norfolk.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel for a family reunion gathering. When I arrived they told me that they didn't have me down for a reserved room. My wife had made the reservation about two months before we arrived. So I then asked if I could get a room. They quoted $50 more than the reservation price. I told them that I was with the family reunion and could I get the family price they told me no. So I just stayed in my dad's room. The air conditioner didn't work, they sent a maintenance man and he flipped a breaker. The air conditioner kept shutting down, I flipped the breaker again and again. Finally it shut down permanently, hot the entire night. Moved to another room the next night, a little better but the room was dated small tv I think a 19 or 20 inch tv. Full sides bed with air queen mattress, didn't work. So many things wrong. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone $109.99 a night very disappointed. WILLIAM Jr

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank William A

I am sorry to hear that your stay at the Norfolk Plaza hotel was not enjoyable. Staff in Front Desk, maintenance and housekeeping have been made aware of the issues faced by you during your stay and are working diligently to make sure that such issues are not repeated again.

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely apologize for the issues faced during your stay.