“A most pleasurable experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar

Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 695 Restaurants in Norfolk
Price range: US$19 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Norfolk Seafood Company, located on Tazewell Street, is a place where seafood lovers can find a traditional plate of flounder, scallops or crab but without the fancy ingredients and inflated prices. The restaurant is centrally located in downtown Norfolk above the Big Easy Oyster Bar. The mission of the Norfolk Seafood Company is to bring tasty seafood to locals and tourists, minus the trip to the Oceanfront. Norfolk Seafood Company The menu features everything a good seafood restaurant should offer, plus all the sides. Expect to find coleslaw, fries, green beans, and other traditional side items, all of them ideal accompaniments to crab cakes, shrimp, scallops, and other seafood favorites. Appetizers include the same gumbo featured at the oyster bar downstairs, as well as shrimp cocktail, crab dip, oysters, she-crab soup and other tasty options. A cold beer, wine or a specialty drink from the bar rounds off any meal. The menu is kid friendly, but a child's menu is also available for parents looking for smaller portions for their children. In addition, the decor and atmosphere make it clear that the establishment is a family friendly locale, ideal for celebrating any family occasion be it a birthday, anniversary, or just a Saturday night on the town.
Norfolk, Virginia
“A most pleasurable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Last week my wife and I, along with another couple, had a most enjoyable evening at this establishment. Since we all live in downtown Norfolk, it was just a short walk for all of us and it was definitely worth the walk. Starting with drinks and appetizers in the downstairs bar, we thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and great food. We then went upstairs where we met our server, "Amazing Amanda" who entertained us and made sure that we did not want for anything. The food was wonderfully prepared and quite delicious and the service provided by Amanda was absolutely top flight. I wholeheartedly recommend this place to anyone looking for a great meal at a reasonable price. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank JimCarroll3

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Great find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I were in town for the evening to see a concert and didn't make specific plans for dinner. We stumbled across this place and the menu looked good, so we stayed even though the dining room was empty (it was a little before 6). I ordered the special, which was corvina (white flaky fish) over risotto and it was delicious. My husbands crock of scallops, shrimp, and crab meat was also very good. If we were in the area again, I would definitely go back!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Excellent food and great craft beers! My girlfriend & I both loved our meals. I had the seafood jambalaya & she had the Fish of the day over rice. the she crab soup was great too.

Norfolk, Virginia
“Fantastic Crab Legs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Got back from the Middle East just yesterday morning . Exhausted I went right to bed . When i woke up it was 9:30 and I was straving . Not a whole lot to choose from at that time of night and my favorite 456 Fish was already closed for sure .
I stumbled across Big Easy and boy am I glad that I did . I ordered their nightly special a pound of crab legs for 13.99 . They must be loosiung money on them , since most places charge 18.99 and they are no where as good as these were . If you are looking for me on a Thursday, stop by Big Easy and I'll be there .
Started off with a bowl of Gumbo - the real stuff . I wish they would sell it by the quart to go . Ask for Chris , i understand he is the new manager . He went out of his way to make my night special . Bartender , Christana can make a mean Martini .

1 Thank Rob A
Wayne
“Restaurant Week in Norfolk”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Being fairly new to the area we decided to try out the Big Easy Grill & Oyster Bar in Norfolk as how could you go wrong for a $20 price fixe menu? This is a tiny place that you just might miss (Garmin did) with ONLY Valet parking which is free (save for tip to excellent valet.) Reservations made and asked how to dress and was told upscale casual. So that is what we did. Although we were much more presentable than those walking in we were taken to the basement and sat at a table by the bathrooms which was wobbly from top to bottom. We found our waitress and asked to be moved and gracious person that she was she did so immediately. I was told we were the last reservation they had that night but the place both up and down was only half full. When we asked the waitress the difference between up and down we were told up was a bit more upscale for patrons who wanted a more upscale dining experience yet here we were dressed well, bejeweled and sitting among patrons in shorts and flip flops. I will say the waitress was wonderful (ask for Carli) and the food meh as the kids would say. My salad was average salad fair and my husband's gumbo "fine" in his words. My fried oysters were not cleaned and there were pieces of shells when you bit into them but otherwise they were middle of the road but oh the greens - that made my meal. Fabulous. His etouffee was much more watery than what I make or that which we have had in New Orleans but edible. The deserts were fabulous. His brownie a'la mode was rich and delectable and my chocolate torte was decadent with a nice raspberry coulee adorning it. So it was a mixed experience. Great waitress, clearly the hostess did not find us upstairs worthy in this upscale casual restaurant, some of the food excellent and some Captain D worthy. So I say we probably will not visit again but if you want to take a chance and you are in shorts and flip flops stop in for a drink or two but looking at the regular menu one would say that this place is way too pricey for what you get. Kudos to Carli though as she was one of the best waitresses we have had bar none.

• 2 of 5 bubbles