“Good service, not so good food”
Review of Olive Garden

Olive Garden
Ranked #193 of 791 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had a group of 11 for a Saturday 4:30 dinner. One steak was over cooked (ordered medium rare). It was sent back and a new one was gotten. It took at least 20 minutes for them to bring a second bowl of soup to one of our party. Tour of Italy dinner was dried out, left in oven too long I think. I did the review "Poor service ruins the day." This time the service was better. The majority of the food was good and as ordered. Olive Garden is a favorite of my elderly parents (eggplant parmesan), so we go there for special occasions. The waiter was very good, but the food was disappointing for some in our group.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We always enjoy the soup, salad, and bread. Our waitress was a sweetheart. It was a Saturday and she was extremely busy but our service was excellent. We felt like we were her only customers!

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We eat out often. Hadn't been to O.G. in years. Met friends for lunch. We ordered off the lunch menu - eggplant parm/chic parm. After salad and mediocre bread/rolls, our lunches arrived. I do not eat fast or eat a lot but the portions of both eggplant and pasta would easily fit into my hand.
Good thing we had salad previously because the portion sizes were really SMALL. Mentioned it to the server and she just shrugged and said it was the "lunch portion." Really?

Would never go back. Not cheap and not much food offered.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

First of all, let me say our dinners for 10 people were comped by the manager. But that was only after we started heading out the front door. The restaurant was not very busy for a Sunday after church crowd. We sat down and ordered our drinks. Everything was fine. We placed our food orders and then came the problems. Maybe Olive Garden believes they are losing money on people eating salad and breadsticks. Our salad bowl was barely enough for 2 people. They brought 2 such half-filled bowls. We, of course, asked for more. One person had ordered soup and had to ask for it twice after everyone else was served their dinners. One person ordered a spaghetti dinner and got the AYCE pasta bowl which was not filled. I ordered the AYCE pasta bowl with angel hair pasta and received a half-filled bowl with regular spaghetti and light on the sauce. It seemed they were trying to save on the portions. Maybe they are used to seeing so much food thrown away. Others were less than satisfied with what they had. I asked for a re-fill on my AYCE pasta bowl and was given about a palm-sized amount with very little sauce. When we were finished and asked for our checks, we waited at least 15 minutes and still no one came back. My wife went to complain to the manager and the rest of us waited for a few more minutes before heading for the door. We had two servers who waited on our table. When you want to pay for your meal but can't, it is ridiculous to wait so long for the check. We will never eat at that place again. The food itself was tasty and up to their usual standards, but the portions and lack of attention to us is why I wrote this review from my work.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Staff were extremely friendly and courteous. Food arrived quickly and was standard Olive Garden fare. Only complaint would have been my minestrone soup could have been hotter. The staff more then made up for that.