“Great food!”

Ranked #6 of 711 Restaurants in Norfolk
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Grill and raw bar offering fesh local seafood. Funky eclectic decor with outside dining on covered patio. Weekly Chef Specials created by award winning chef David Watts. Monday-Saturday $6 lunch specials, daily Groovy Daddy specials 4-7pm and brunch on Sunday. Something good is always happening at Captain Groovy's.
Miramar, Florida
“Great food!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I called the restaurant and asked if I needed a reservation. The young lady was cheerful and said not to worry they will get us in and reservations were not necessary for groups under 5 people. Best yet they recognized us as the family that called and had seats ready for us inside when we arrived.
Steaks, clams, fish we ate it all and left satisfied. A great choice to visit in Norfolk!

1 Thank JonSHasBeenThere

Blacksburg, Virginia
“Awesome food”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

August 2, 2014
After reading reviews, my wife, daughter and myself ate at Groovy's Bar and Grill. First my wife had the Flounder with the bronze sauce and said it was the best she had eaten. I had the Bora Bora Tuna that was truly the best I had ever had, which was recommended from the waitress who was very knowledgeable of the menu and very helpful. She was always checking (not to much) to make sure if we needed more water or anything. I also had to try the Crab Mac & Cheese which had lots of great reviews and was really good and different twist worth the try.

I would highly recommend Capt. Groovy to anyone, and plan on revisiting next time in Norfolk. I would tell you that it is a Grill not a High end white table cloth place but the service and food is very deserving of my 5 star rating.

Todd P.
Blacksburg, VA

• Visited August 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy oysters!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Found this place because of Trip Advisor.
Went for Brunch on Saturday and we weren't disappointed! Nice Bloody Mary, and good oysters, made even better by the days special. $6.50 for a plate full of fried oyster goodness? Yes, please and thank you.
Needless to say, we plan on returning.

1 Thank Esther S
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Nothing but hype!!!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Recently returned to Norfolk and was so excited to check out this restaurant that friends and family were talking about. I'm still wandering what they are talking about....
After an afternoon at the beach, we decide this would be a great way to top off the night so we stop by and sit on the beautiful patio and that is where the fabulous ends.
-Our waitress was inadequate. Did not know the specials and was not very knowledgeable on the regular dishes. Barely checked on us. When she did she would ask a question wait for on one person to respond and would spin around and take off before anyone else could respond. After the 3rd time, I just politely said "Hold on a sec, can you please wait until everyone has responded." 4 empty cups on the table and she would just refill one and walk away. Seriously thought we were being pranked...not!
-The food is really nothing to speak about. I will take it dish by dish:
-Bucket of clams-decent but nothing special.
-Bayou Shrimp with veggies-The shrimp was excellent and well seasoned. The veggies were pieces of celery and onions.
-The Groovy burger-requested well done. That is exactly what we got. Burnt, dry and crunchy. How do you mess up a burger? The fries are awesome!!
-No wake burger-ordered medium. It came out well done but not burnt. Very dry. Sent back and the new burger was delicious. The fries are awesome!!!
-The Trifecta-The mussels were overcooked, the clams were undercooked, but the shrimp was fantastic.
-Crabbie mac-all I have to say is "Where's the crab????"
-Chocolate mousse pie-nothing to shout about and certainly was not worth the price.

The price:
Considering the lack of talent in the kitchen it certainly was not worth the $92 bill. We will continue to go across the street to Surfriders.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Q_P_Cranky
Maryland, USA
“A great find!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My hubby spotted this cute place from the highway. After reading the good reviews on TA, decided to stop in for dinner after a long day of college orientation.

First, the seating is fun. We love eating outside and although that wasn't available, the hostess quickly found us a hightop on the side bar area. It was perfect.

The music playing was just what it should have been; beach sounds! I hate when you hit a place that doesn't seem to recognize keeping with the theme! But I digress...

Our server was prompt, friendly and efficient. When I could not decide between two dishes, she was able to offer an opinion based on her obvious knowledge of the menu. A great thing to have in a server! We started with the smoked chicken nachos and they were hands down some of the best we've had. Most places tend to overdo with toppings, but these were just on point.

I completely enjoyed the Bora Bora Tuna. A perfectly cooked, unique dish. The guys loved their burgers and chicken sandwiches, complete with grilled pineapple.

They offer really good happy hour prices, too, with Red Stripes and other beers only $2. We really enjoyed our meal and time here and can't wait to go back.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank sunnygirl110

Been to Capt. Groovy's Grill and Raw Bar? Share your experiences!