“Hmmm...”

Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

Nice bar. Nice entrance hall (fora holiday inn). Descent sized rooms. Comfortable bed. Pity the pillows are lumpy and half the size of regular pillows. And shame my shower leaked all night and then flooded the bathroom in the morning. Breakfast is hot - bacon eggs etc. what you expect of a holiday in. Decent wifi connection.

• Stayed: November 2012
SHSCSGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday inn Norfolk Airport. We appreciate your business and am sorry to hear you had a less then perfect stay. We take feedback very seriously and will look into the matter you addressed in the review and use them to better ourselves. Also the pillows have been a long time issue with Holiday Inn and the good news is they have been changed and must be in place by 2014 to have the correct sizing for the bed. We will begin to phase them in beginning next year. We hope to see you again in the future so that we can earn a 5 the next time. Safe travels and happy holidays!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

The Holiday Inn at Norfolk, VA airport was a welcomed surprise. The staff (all, Concierge, bus drivers, in restaurant) were friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Gave suggestions.

Hotel lobby was clean and open. Smelled clean.

Room was large, well appointed. Bed clean and comfy. No icky quilted cover - yuck. Bathroom was large, very clean, well organized. HBO

Food in restaurant was surprisingly good. Even the wine, though inexpensive, was well chosen and tasty. Waitress really talked to us and made us welcome.

Came away well rested and relaxed before our flight. Very nice. We were surprised.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bijou554
SHSCSGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the property. Over the past few months we have undergone quite a few changes and glad to see that you got to enjoy them on your trip. Please come back and join us again in your travels. We here at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

We spent the night for an early departure from the airport. While the room was quiet, the phone did not work, the room was very damp and the rug washer to walk on... Yuck
The driver at 5:30am was very grumpy. He probably became Moreno since we didn't tip him either. Sorry but a poor attitude doesn't earn a tip in my book.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to read that you did not have an overall excellent experience during your stay with us. It is our goal for each and every guest to leave wanting to join us again in the future. I will share these comments with our team and ensure that the issues you brought up are addressed accordingly. We do hope in the future you join us again so that we can show you the brighter side of our service. Thank you for taking the time to write a review as it will be utilized as a training tool. We hope you have safe travels and hope to see you again at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Hotel had oversold rooms and tried to bump us. We specifically booked this hotel to catch an early flight out the next morning. They did give us a room, but the air conditioner didn't seem to work very well. The lobby was under going renovation and was taped off making it hard to navigate luggage carts. It overall wasn't horrible, but didn't meet our expectations. We only stayed there about 8 hours!!! Checkout was smooth.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank NC_Mom2Boys

Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize for the less then perfect stay you experienced with us. Unfortunately during the time you joined us we were undergoing our final phases of renovation which at time can cause a few hiccups. We are glad to see although not flawless that your stay was not horrible either. You will be glad to know our renovation is now fully complete. We hope you come back in the future and allow us to wow you into being a loyal Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport guest. Safe travels.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Good Spacious rooms, Micro and Frig, quiet and roomy. The out door pool is so large it is almost like three pools connected. Be sure to try a Greenwich pizza from the BLU, we were pleasantly suprised it was delicious. Great location to go to VA Beach Amplitheater Show. Also very refreshing to have staff that can actually speak English. Everyone helpful and friendly. Very likely we will stay again. Only one draw back on our visit, everytime a cloud went over satellite TV went out. They just need to tweek their antenna alignment.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are pool side
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank r j
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I had gotten into a car accident as I was traveling through Virginia Beach/Norfolk area. With the help of family, They contacted Milton, who was working the desk, and said they could pick me up from the site of my accident (car not drivable). I figured I would be able to use my intercontinental points, as I did not have much money on me, and trying to keep my spending down. While Milton was very nice, while I was checking in, I asked if I could have used my hotel points for a room. He simply said "you'll have to call reservations", and checked me in with my credit card. He also told me "breakfast starts at 6 and ends at 10". When I got the bill, I was charged the rack rate $149.00 for the room, plus $20 in taxes. Not exactly what I wanted to pay for just a place to get some rest and a shower. Furthermore, when I went downstairs the next morning to get breakfast, I was told that if I didn't have a coupon, I would have to pay for breakfast. I was a bit flabbergasted that the price of the room did not include breakfast, as were two other people that had also assumed breakfast was included in the price of the room.

When looking at the Holiday Inn website, rooms with breakfast are coming up at $124, and regular room rate is coming up at $111.00

I then realized that I was at a Holiday Inn..not a Holiday Inn Express. I would have been better at a cheaper hotel and calling for a taxi.

Milton sounded great on the phone, and he knew my situation of having a car accident on Sunday night with no way to get around. When it came to the money from the hotel, he didn't try to get me any discount or help me in any way other than to get me to the hotel, then gouge me for all it was worth. Poor customer service overall.

Next time..I'm staying at Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Look at Hampton Inn around the corner on USAA drive..at least they include breakfast in the price.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Maxx2004
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Dear Maxx2004,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the hotel location confusion and for the poor customer service. I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 June 2012

My family held a birthday party here this past weekend. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to plan a gathering. The rooms are clean, the banquet facilities are lovely and the pool a nice bonus. Manager M. Parker and the other managers on duty along with their staff, did a wonderful job of hosting our event. From making sure our room needs were met to preparing the banquet dinner and breakfast. We thank everyone involved from the courteous shuttle driver to the wonderful wait staff for making this an enjoyable experience for our family of 50 plus members.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BrownNorfolk
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review! We appreciate your kind words and are thrilled that we could make your events memorable ones here at Holiday Inn. We hope you come back again in the future for more events so we can be a part of those as well. This review will be shared with the staff. See you at the next event!