“Best Crab Cakes ever”

Surf Rider West
Ranked #106 of 791 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The services and food was great. They served the best and largest crab cakes ever. The cakes were fresh and flaky. Nice seating area. Not as crowded as expected. Heard great things concerning the restaurant from my clients and the hotel staff. The hotel staff stated that it was the best seafood in the area. I have to concur based on the sample size.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We went to this place based on the recommendation of our hotel representative and regretted it. Walking in, I found the place to be in need of updating - it looked worn and didn't give a good first impression. The menu is small and does offer something like fried chicken or burger for those that don't like seafood. I selected the scallops which at 19.99 - thought it was a bit high. No salads with your meal unless you selected it as one of your sides - no rolls. Drinks are limited to a few sodas and tea. A bar is available as well. My meal came and although I found the scallops to be ok -baked potato fine - but I thought the corn was awful - tasted like field corn.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stopped July 12th by while staying for the Jimmy Buffett concert. The place does not look special from the outside, but inside the place is comfortable and cozy. If you love seafood that is delicious and reasonably priced, this is the place! The service was timely and the steam combo platter was amazing! If you are in the area, you need to stop by!

Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Went with a coworker per the suggestion of our local hotel. Personally, I'm not a big crab cake fan, and wasn't really in the mood to spend $20 on a fresh catch option. I was hungry and wanted some hearty food for an affordable price. This wasn't the place. After chatting with the server, decided that crab cakes really were the thing to have there, so.... When in Rome.

The crab cake sandwich wasn't what I was expecting, but it was a lot of quality crabmeat, which I'm sure most people like. I found it to be a bit bland, even with my added lemon & tarter sauce. That sandwich, with a Ying-ling was $17 + tip, a lot more than I wanted to spend to leave hungry. We both stopped at the Wendy's across the street to have another little something before heading back to the hotel.

So, in short, only go if you really want that food. It isn't the place to peruse the menu or enjoy the ambiance.

Happy Travels!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Absolutely awful. I was referred to Surf Rider West to get "the best crab cakes in town", I don't know what they were serving, but the tasteless, dried out mass of unseasoned crab meat that was put in front of me did not deserve to be called a crab cake. The only thing worse than the crab cake was the long-frozen then long-steamed flavorless corn. I honestly would have been better off walking past this place to get a salad at the McDonalds up the street.