“Nice lobby and rooms but this place is not the place you want to go to if you are trying to get work done or relax.”

Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I won't be coming back to this hotel again. I came here for work and they have been renovating a room across the hall. It has been a week of loud hammering and electrical grinding. When I asked for this to stop or a different room I was told they were trying to resolve the problem and i could not have a different room. Only when I complained a second time did they stop. Very inhospitable and unpleasant customer service.

• Stayed July 2012
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We are at the very end of an extensive room renovation. The final rooms are being completed and unfortunately we had to chip away concrete for about an hour and a half this week to finish a room. I’m really sorry that this wasn’t completed faster and that we did not get them to stop the first time you mentioned it. We tried to complete this during the middle of the day to have the least impact on our customers since the hotel is at its least capacity during this time. I can certainly understand why this was frustrating to you.

The renovation has turned out amazing. As you stated, the lobby and rooms are very nice. We now feature Courtyard’s Refreshing Business lobby concept (designed to give travelers the flexibility to work and socialize however they choose while on the road), and completely renovated guest rooms, meeting rooms, corridors, fitness center, and pool.

The open, bright and contemporary new Courtyard hotel lobby welcomes guests with vivid contrasting colors, including blue, green, orange and red. The traditional front desk is replaced with separate welcome pedestals to create more personal and private interactions when guests check in. This will allow staff to move about to show guests the lobby features and provide assistance. Flexible seating options range from a communal table in the middle of the action, to more private media booths with high-definition televisions, to a more intimate, semi-enclosed lounge area.

A signature element of the new lobby is the exclusive GoBoard technology, a 52-inch LCD touch screen packed with local information, maps, weather, and news, business and sports headlines. Guests can navigate using the touch screen to find restaurants, local attractions and directions.

Guests can connect to free WiFi, and there are ample electrical outlets throughout the lobby to power digital devices. The enlarged business library features several complimentary computer terminals along with a free printer and separate computer stations dedicated to printing airline boarding passes and checking flight status.

Dining has been completely redesigned with The Bistro – Eat. Drink. Connect.; offering casual, flexible seating; easier access to food and higher quality, healthier menu options for breakfast; and light evening fare, including snacks, wine and beer so guests can unwind. The Market, a 24/7 shop for snacks, beverages and sundries, is always open for late-night cravings or the toothpaste you forgot to pack.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I hosted a meeting of 30 out-of-town managers for my company just last week at the hotel. Dawn, the director of sales, was outstanding. I have hosted at least a dozen events at hotels (this being the smallest), and Dawn was by far the easiest to work with and most flexible in my experience. The food they prepared was great, even when working off the menu to meet my desires. The three wait-staff they had working our small group were excellent. They had a positive attitude and were very attentive. We did suffer an air-condition outage during our meetings, however the engineer was right on top of the situation. Our only real issue was some of our lighter sleepers were bothered by the train noise in the morning, however they were able to request a free noise canceling machine if they wanted it. All-in-all, it was a great and easy experience for me as meeting host. I would have a meeting here again in a heartbeat! Oh, plus the location is fabulous with plenty to do right around town. An airport/oceanfront shuttle would be a great addition to the services provided, though! :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank GhentJosh
Tony_Parrow, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Hi Josh,
I am so glad that your meeting went so well! We were glad to have your business and look forward to the next one.

I am also pleased to say that we have added windows that block out the light rail noise in all the affected rooms. It has been very successful and everyone has been 100% satisfied with the results!
Thank you!
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I am a frequent business traveler. My family and I stayed here in June 2010. The dowtown location is very convenient to Nauticus, the restaurants of nearby Granby Street, and Norfolk's Harbor Park, home of the AAA Norfolk Tides, the Baltimore Orioles' minor league affiliate. The rooms are clean but need some upgrading/updating. Indeed, during our stay, the hotel replaced all the window treatments on our floor. We noticed the change after we returned at the end of the day and saw that our suitcases and belongings had been moved. We would have appreciated being told this in advance. I have also seen other comments about the parking valet services. Everytime we came back to the hotel, the valet was unavailable so we parked ourselves, including upon arrival. The valet never parked our car. Breakfast is available from an on-site Starbucks. However, the restaurant is small so there can be a line waiting for service. Although this hotel does have plusses, its minuses merit second thoughts about returning.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank BruValM
, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for the feedback! I am glad that you noticed the upgrading that we are doing! I apologize that you were not alerted to the replacement of the drapes ahead of time. This is now complete along with the new beds, furniture, carpet and more! The restaurant is very popular and this does sometimes lead to short wait times but they are very efficient and we are usually able to get orders out within a few minutes which is must faster than most busy restaurants. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope that you will try us out again for your next visit.

Tony Parrow
Cullowhee, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Everyone from the car valet to the housekeeping staff were very knowledgeable and courteous.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Wanda K
Midlothian, Va
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I recently conducted a 2 day meeting for my team and used the Norfolk Courtyard Marriott due to it's central location and outstanding facilities. The staff was very cordial and provided assistance every step of the way.

Additionally, Dawn Anderson was extremely helpful with some post meeting administrative tasks I needed quickly - she was great. If you're looking for a great meeting place, keep the Norfolk Courtyard Marriott at the top of your list.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Tom N
seattle
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stay at this location frequently on my way to the Outer Banks, as well as for business. The staff at this hotel is fantastic. Chris Parry really takes ownership of the property and goes the extra mile for each and every guest.

Plus - the hotel is shouting distance from the McArthur Mall (straight out the back door and there's the cross walk.) This is a plus makes the Courtyard a little bit too irresistible!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank punkinpi
Slatington, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My son needed a medical procedure in Norfolk at a Children's Hospital. The Courtyard Norfolk Downtown removed a lot of the stress during this period of time for our family. From the beginning with reservations through checkout, the entire staff and management at the Courtyard was just so helpful and caring. They felt like an extension of our family. The Courtyard was spotless in terms of cleanliness, and in the event of a need of any type, a solution was only a phone call away. The Assistant General Manager, Theresa Thompson, personally took the time to help me with some personal details regarding our stay and wanted to be there at checkout to be sure we were satisfied with the visit. In six months we travel again from Pennsylvania to Virginia for my son's check-up and I am certain we will be at the Courtyard Norfolk Downtown once again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the patio deck are very nice.