“Good location and nice rooms”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Norfolk Virginia Beach
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My family and I stayed here on my Marriott points while on a beach vacation. I booked this hotel because of the proximity to Virginia Beach and Norfolk. I also wanted a "Suite" hotel for the larger rooms and extras like refrigerator and pull out couch.

The location is perfect if you will be visiting multiple locations in the area and don't want/need direct beach access. There is a Ruby Tuesday in the parking lot and a Denny's across the street. You will have to drive a little if you want anything else but if you are out sightseeing that shouldn't be a problem.

The parking lot is spacious and it is easy to find a well lit spot you'll be comfortable with. The hotel was busy when we arrived in the evening but there were plenty of spots available.

The lobby is kept ICE COLD! This is refreshing considering the oppressive summer heat this year. The lobby is modern and well decorated. I like how the lounge area is open and useful during the day and not just during breakfast. It would be easy to have a meeting or sit and work in this space since it is separated from the check in area. Oddly though, the elevators and corridors to the rooms are not air conditioned.

The pool and hot tub area are small but clean and well kept. Typical of hotels today you'll feel cramped if one or more families is using the facility. I didn't use the workout facility but it looked large and well stocked.

The room was just what I wanted. The entire space was well decorated with modern furniture and amenities. The beds were comfortable and have the added benefit of being wrapped in a plastic cover. This is great to keep the critters out, although I still thoroughly checked. The air conditioning worked great and was quiet enough to sleep but loud enough to drown out some of the unwanted noise. Traffic noise was not an issue and the neighbors were quiet as well.

When I made the reservation on the Marriott site I requested a pack-n-play for our infant. At check in it was not noted on my reservation so I had to make the request again. It was sent right up but I imagine these go quickly and we were lucky to get one.

As with most hotels, I didn't have high expectations for the breakfast. While they had a pretty good selection including waffles, eggs, oatmeal, breads, fruits, and juices, things just were in order. They seemed short staffed and overwhelmed. The breakfast was very busy, as to be expected, but they didn't seem able to keep up.

I recommend this hotel and will happily stay here again when I am in the area. I stayed here for pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 June 2012

We arrived at hotel and were supposed to stay for 5 nights. We checked out after 2!! We would have left sooner but we were in town for an athletic competition and couldn't get back to check out!

Our room was newer and "neat" but FILTHY!! The bathroom floor and counters were dirty, dusty, and sticky. Pillows had an odor. previous guests had scribbled/scratched notes/phone numbers into tables and lamps. The remote for the tv had a brown crust in all the grooves. The curtains were falling apart.

We left the room by 6am on the first morning(Saturday) and did not come back until 1pm, no had cleaned our room. Our housekeeper was in the hall and I stopped to ask for extra towels when she cleaned the room. She seemed surprised that I expected the room to be cleaned. She told us she would do it if it needed it but she thought she'd do "a full cleaning on Monday or Tuesday, when she changed our sheets." She told us in the meantime, to just throw our dirty towels out in the hallway and that way she'd know to get us clean ones!!! WOW!! That explained the piles of towels lining the hallways!! YIKES!!

Called Marriott and made other arrangements IMMEDIATELY!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mbs5
Reviewed 20 June 2012

If I could give 3.5 stars, I would. I am now watching Hotel Impossible on HGTV or BRAVO and are now more aware of issues in hotels.
The area is good. There is a 7-11 and Rite Aid nearby and a Ruby Tuesday in the same complex as the hotel. Snacks are cheaper there than the hotel. It is also near the airport and not near the beach. It is about 15-25 minutes from everything.

Plus: Good breakfast that is just more than bread and cereal. They have waffles, and hot items such as eggs, grits, sausage or sausage pancakes or ham depending on the day.
The workout room is large and they *could* add in more machines. The hot tub was hot. The whole hotel is all suites. The front desk people were very nice and helpful and understanding. They see to be used to large school groups in the hotel. My room (300) was large and had a microwave and fridge including freezer area. It was relatively clean. It had plenty of towels. I like the carpet. The rooms and the beds were very comfortable and had flat screen tvs. No issues with the group regarding sleeping.

Housekeeping issues: When we arrived at 6pm, they didn't have enough rooms on two floors with clean rooms and sheets. They were waiting for laundry. One student had to get new sheets since they were yellow/dirty. One chaperone did not got his room cleaned. Obviously, this department needs some help in the hotel as other reviews have also mentioned that their room was not cleaned. My room (300) had issues with wallpaper near the desk area, rust/dirt on the lamp, and the bathroom needed to be deep cleaned as it had a ring of dirt on the bottom of the tub.

Minus: Pool is pretty small and the tiles were very slippery. I saw a young girl fall easily so I would advise to be very careful and I could see a lawsuit coming. One maintenance issues is that the whirlpool needed to be deep cleaned with the grout as it was molding and dirty. Some rooms were the tv was on the dresser had scratches on it. I would suggest having something under the stand/swivel to prevent this in the future.

Room Tip: I would get a room that is not on the front of the hotel rather in the back facing the field.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed here for a week while searching for lodgings for a move from Canada to the US. The hotel is clean and modern with comfortable beds. Close to the highway, easily accessible whether your stay involves Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, or Portsmouth. Can't find a more central Hampton Roads location. Staff was excellent, very friendly, and the free local shuttle was a definite advantage. Wifi throughout was a definite plus. Would happily come back again if the situation warranted it.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I felt that this hotel exceeded my expectations on the level of customer service. I was pleased with the friendliness of the employees and the speed to which any issues we had. I appreciated that the hotel had a full breakfast every morning. I would stay at the spring hill suites Norfolk/va beach again.

Ashley :-)

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I have been at this property for 4 days & nobody knows my name. Since it's my final day, I made the staff awre of what I do (review & blog travel) & that I'm a trip advisor junkie. I was hoping that they would spring into action and clean the common areas which were fithy for days (food stains and general debris) but nothing happened. Well, one thing did. They began trying to find out my name and room number. Most of my stay was spent in the common areas. The bathroom was not what I consider "Marriott clean*. The business center trash cans weren't emptied for days and actually had food inside which was rotting. The staff was okay but not as friendly as I'd hoped or experienced at this property in years past. Housekeeping staff is friendly until you make a special request. I overheard (my job to be nosey) the staff complaining in the lobby about a guest who forgot to take the DND sign down and still wanted service. I was most impressed with the breakfast staff. They kept the area clean and stocked and were anticipated the guests needs as much as possible. I was thinking that perhaps they should be front desk staff. I was least impressed with the overall upkeep of the property and it seems that it would take very little effort to improve if someone cared. Dust, vacuum and remove debris. Oh one more thing... apologize profusely when your guest is stuck in the elevator and comp their stay for the night. Do not keep repeating "I don't know what happened to that thing" as consolation. I got stuck also but not as long as the other guest and the issue resolved itself in my case whereas the other guest had to be assisted.
There is much competition in the immediate area for traveler dollars and it would behoove Springhill Norfolk/Va Beach to step their game way up.

Room Tip: If quiet is important , stay opposite of pool side. Kids running through halls excited about swimmin...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank TravelBlog S
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Room décor was being upgraded during our stay… we got one of the recently redone rooms and upgrade was needed and appreciated. Like the separate sitting room in the room with sofa, desk, small sink area with frig, coffee maker and microwave. Large bathroom and small sink/vanity area outside of bathroom are located in the ‘bedroom’ area. Only on TV on a swivel pedestal so you could either watch TV in bedroom OR living room space.

Full cooked breakfast offered each morning; juice, coffee, fresh fruit (apples/bananas), toast, scrambled eggs, waffle maker, ham, bacon or sausage, etc. Area can get a little congested but staff was constantly refreshing supplies. One of the best breakfast buffets we have seen.

Rooms were clean —however we were on the 6th floor and maid service sometimes didn’t get around to our room until late in the afternoon (4ish +). If you need your room done up before, definitely tell the front desk when leaving the hotel.

Indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi are wonderful… had our grandchildren over for a swim and they really enjoyed. Workout room was large enough… and didn’t seem to be used that much… never had to wait to get on to the treadmill or other equipment.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family