“Wow, Really?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Empire Little Bar Bistro - CLOSED

Empire Little Bar Bistro
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Los Angeles, California
“Wow, Really?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

Holy Cow. After spending the prior weekend eating our way across NYC, we were totally blindsided by Empire Little Bar! This little place nestled under the Tazewell Hotel serves up a great variety of Asian-Cajun (right?) fusion tapas that will take your palate on an interesting tour of a wide variety of flavors. Plates were around $5-$6 each, (which is actually decent pricing for tapas, unlike in LA where the dare to charge $10+ for small bites!), and we shared about five of them.

Notable: Petit filet of beef, Pork & ginger pot stickers & the goat cheese/tapenade plates

The service was impeccable, even after a concert let out across the street and the place filled up around midnight. The drinks are STRONG and the local brews will quench the thirst of any weary traveler. It was very cool to take part in the hip-vibe of the theater district because we were only in town for a night. Excellent people watching!

Huge PLUS: OPEN LATE!!!! I wish that this place was located near my house...

**Note: They will be changing locations soon

Visited May 2013
1 Thank RockieK

Nowhere
“Cozy but great apps”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

First off, this is a very, very small bar and it gets crowded quickly. The apps are fantastic and they rotate- I've had a few things off the menu (mac and cheese quite often) and it's consistently good. They don't have a bathroom, though- you have to cut through and go to the hotel next door. (I haven't been there in a few months, so it might have changed).

I always feel like this is the classy option on Granby Street. Would reccomend.

• Visited November 2012
Suffolk, Virginia
“Great food, not great ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

My husband and I ate at Empire once. The only reason we haven't gone back is the ambiance. I've been there before for a cocktail and it was summertime and it was absolutely freezing in there. When we went to eat there, it was winter and, again, freezing...to the point of uncomfortable.

The only thing that gives this place a good rating, in my opinion- and it's an important thing- is the food. The menu is very creative and we tried maybe 6 dishes (as tapas) on the menu. Outstanding. But if you want a quiet, little place to eat- forget the quiet part. And the bathrooms are in the hotel. It's noisy and busy and cold, but if you're okay with all of that- eat there. I don't know if I'd take a first date there- it was difficult to have a conversation- but definitely go for the food. We'd go more often, but I hate eating when I'm absolutely freezing.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
“Quick one drink but busy bartender”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

My colleagues and I decided to go in after the verbal recommendation from someone down the street.

This bar is small but it had a good atmosphere and people unlike the other places. Also this is adjacent to a hotel.

Me colleagues and I grab some seats at the bar and waited for the bartender for approx 10 minutes since she was busy with the other patrons. When she came over, I asked for one of the beers described and mounted on the wall. At first she didn't recall but when I pointed at the wall she immediately brought it over.

We only had one drink and decided to check other places, but well come back since the menu looked pretty good and the bar had a nice ambiance.

Gloucester, Virginia
“Great little bistro.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

Get there early since space is limited. We loved the seared steak and the lobster dishes. An extra treat was the potatoe salad, spinach, and fruit combination. The Bistro offered a large variety of adult beverages, we chose the wine, Dr. Loosen.