“Ho-hum”

219 An American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
219 An American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 712 Restaurants in Norfolk
Price range: US$18 - US$31
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brooke Ave
Description: 219 an American Bistro continues downtown Norfolk's tradition of chef inspired and locally owned restaurants. With its location central to the vibrant downtown district, 219 an American Bistro is the place to see and be seen. The cuisine is American with an Asian twist and the ambiance upscale but never pretentious.
Virginia
“Ho-hum”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We went for their Tuesday night prime rib last night. Very average. Reminiscent of Long Horn Steakhouse in Ohio. The cut was thin, not really tender, not tasty. The gravy was injected with extreme salt. Green beans were excellent as was the tiramisu. The tiramisu was actually top notch, come to think of it.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Petronius X
ronvabea, Owner at 219 An American Bistro, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thanks for your review even though it wasn't as gracious as we would have liked. Something must have happened to your piece , since we received raved reviews that night . The Trip Advisor review right before yours really liked, especially the price of $16.99 . Normally this would sell for $23.99 but it is our Tuesday Night Special.
I'm glad you enjoyed you enjoyed your Tiramisu.

Thanks again for your treview.

Simpsonville, South Carolina
“Wish I would have found sooner”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I visit Norfolk for business on a quarterly basis and have finally found a place where great service meets great food. I ordered the Tuesday special which was prime rib. Wow. Great flavor and the sides were great. My server Peter was great and I will return in the fall on my next trip.

Ben, Thanks so much for your review. I'm certainly glad you enjoyed the Prime Rib. It is a great bargain at 16.99 also.
The next time you are in ask for Ron, I woukld like to stop by and say Hi.
Jupiter, Florida
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

As soon as we entered the restaurant, we were greeted warmly by Johnny, the manager. During the evening he ensured that all was well with his guests. On the advice of Chisten, our most efficient and pleasant bartender, we ordered the she-crab soup. It was the best we ever tasted and our flounder dinner was delicious. An added surprise was their Sunday evening 1/2 off bottle of wine special. Overall, our dining experience was outstanding!

• Visited May 2014
ronvabea, Owner at 219 An American Bistro, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thanks so much for your review. I will pass your comments on to Johnny . I'm confident he will appreciate it.
Our She Crab Soup is also one of my favorites.
If you are ever in the area again , please come by and see us. Ask for Ron, since i wouud like to say hello.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Service, Great Food”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I recently dined at the 219 during a family outing an the experience was one that I would recommend to anyone looking for a higher end yet still casual dining experience. The bistro is located right in the center of Norfolk tucked in a corner location amidst several other dining options in the immediate area. I must have driven past it numerous times before and never really noticed it there.

The atmosphere inside the restaurant manages to combine an upscale restaurant feel and a feeling of laid-back and fun hospitality. The greeters and waitstaff are very upbeat and helpful and the most noticeable trait for the entire staff is that everyone was smiling and seemed to legitimately enjoy working there which is a nice atmosphere to be around. Our waiter was also extremely knowledgeable about the food and the wine list and was able to give some very good recommendations that turned out to be excellent.

The good itself is terrific. Not many places in the US know how to properly prepare duck breast and 219 nailed it. The blueberry sauce that it is served with is also phenomenal. My only complaint is that the vegetables, most noticeably the potatoes were slightly undercooked but aside from that, I greatly enjoyed my meal. I must also add that their she-crab soup is to die for!

A very pleasant dining dining experience that I would recommend to anyone in the area!

ronvabea, Owner at 219 An American Bistro, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thanks so much for your review, I will definitely pass your comments on to our staff. I apologize for the vegetables being undercooked, and will talk to our executive chef about it.
The next time you were in, please ask for Ron ,since I would like to say Hi.
Bethesda, Maryland
“A Delicious Choice”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Three of us recently dined at the 219 Bistro and could not have made a better choice. Two of us had the crab cake entree and one had the broiled seafood plate which included a nice selection of seafood (crab cake, scallops, shrimp, fish etc). The food was delicious, our waiter, Leo was wonderful with good suggestions for wine etc. and the ambiance was perfect for a relaxed, enjoyable dining experience. We ate in two other popular restaurants (one more expensive and one less expensive) in downtown Norfolk and this bistro was by far the best for food, service and value!!

• Visited April 2014
ronvabea, Owner at 219 An American Bistro, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thanks so much for your fantastic review. I have passed your comments along to Leo. He was very happy. We have also made it a part of his employ file.
Thanks Again.