“New owners AGAIN”

The Pagoda Restaurant & Tea House
Ranked #472 of 704 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wayne
“New owners AGAIN”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Hadn't been to the Pagoda in a few months and had visitors in from out of town so decided to take them to the historic part of the city and have a light dinner at the Pagoda. Much to our surprise it has changed hands once again! The menu is very limited and the wait staff and hostess staff new and inexperienced (but trying very hard to please.) The food is kind of Asian Fusion but my husband and I had what they called a Hawaiian bowl which was rice with a huge amount of barbecued pork on top, finished off with 2 slices of grilled pineapple. STRANGE but plentiful. Had to take most of mine home as just too much pork for one person. Our dining companion had the tilapia in miso which was an adequate portion but blandish. We sat on the upper level (don't take the steps as there are MANY - use the elevator) and our food took about 45 min to arrive (we were the only ones up there and these are not intricate dishes.) I think they are still working out the kinks and I hope they do so in a timely manner or the next time we go it will probably be under new management once again. This poor restaurant just can't figure out what it wants to be and how to be "it."

• Visited March 2014

Norfolk
“Pagoda restaurant - breakfast following Dawn & Mark's wedding”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We've walked and biked through the Oriental gardens and commented many times on the beautiful Pagoda, but never really thought about it as a place to eat.
Several days before our daughter's wedding I mentioned that it would be nice to take family members to a restaurant for breakfast (after the wedding), and both Sherrie and I came up with the Pagoda. I called to check it out, priced it, and made reservations for about a dozen of us.
Breakfast was truly fantastic - I wish I could report on what each person ordered, but suffice it to say that it was very creative and tasted great.
Service was extraordinary considering our size - great food, individualized service..we'll do this again but probably as a couple. Dinner next time? Who knows.

• Visited September 2013
Wayne
“Beautiful Serene and the food isn't bad either.”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Having moved to Norfolk area a year ago we decided to check out the Pagoda (which has just recently reopened) for lunch on Saturday. Beautiful fall day so we sat outside with a view of ships at the yard and lovely water views with surrounding high rises. Great waitstaff and restaurant manager. Food was as promised - no extras and no fancy plating but good solid somewhat (best you'll get here in Norfolk) Asian cuisine. Wonderful iced hybiscus tea for me and a coke for my husband AND for 2 only $15.28! Parking is free and in front of this beautifully landscaped (oriental gardens ) establishment. Sitting there having lunch one would never know you were in Norfolk and that, my friends is good. A must "go to" when in Norfolk. In the Freemason section of downtown and FREE parking!

• Visited October 2013
Southern Shores, North Carolina
“Lunch or Dinner”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We have had several lunches and dinners here, and they get better every time. Friday night we had drinks and took in the live music with friends. Great atmosphere and service; thank you Kelly. Saturday we had lunch with friends and the " Tuna Poke" was fabulous (grilled ahi tuna, served over avocado on top of a fried won ton, topped with aioli sauce and served with spicy cabbage. After that we sat out front and gathered more friends for bloody marys, before some left for the ODU game. Again, great setting and service, thank you K.C. and Kelly. Please give this place a try, everything on the menu is great. Enjoy the gardens.

• Visited September 2013
Norfolk, Virginia
“Great Outdoor Scenery”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Written by My Lady .... The Pagoda’s landscape of grounds and its location at the Elizabeth River were attractive and quite different from the typical waterfront restaurant. It’s a place where weddings are held. The buildingʼs architecture and colors were typical of a Buddhist structure. The main floor of the restaurant was small, but large windows allowed views of the grounds. The interior, however, was disappointing; the seating was limited and there was only a single unisex restroom. In comparison to the exterior of building, the inside appeared ordinary.

I wanted an Asian meal and the menu was not disappointing. I selected a lo mein dish with green onions, mushrooms, chopped pork, and spicy sauce. I also ordered a side of cole slaw. The lo mein was warm, tasty, and the pork and noodles were tender. The sauce more than pleased my palette. I was, however, very disappointed in the cole slaw and skipped dessert.

My Guy ordered an Ahi tuna burger, medium rare which came with sweet potato fries. He had no complaint about his meal, but he wasn’t elated either. The bill was $20 before gratuity.

We were the only customers eating indoors, received immediate attention and the order arrived quickly. There were some customers on the outdoor veranda which was an attractive setting for eating and socializing.

The beautiful grounds and waterside feature made the experience worthy of the visit. But while the lunch experience was satisfactory, we do not plan to return.

• Visited July 2013