“Virginia Zoo, Virginia, VA”
Review of Virginia Zoo

and up
Norfolk Passport to Fun
Ranked #5 of 76 things to do in Norfolk
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This zoo is amazing. The animals living environment are very well kept up. The animals have a lot of freedom to roam around. The grounds and nicely spread out. There is a wide variety of animals to see. The zoo does offer other attractions, like feeding the animals, ride a train around the zoo and listen to the conductor talk about some of the animals. I recommend wearing good walking shoes, wear sunscreen, and enjoy yourself. There is a lot of places around the zoo that are great photo opportunities for the family. All and all it was a great trip. I would love to go back again.

I took a total of 142 pics of the zoo and their animals. Please feel free to check it out. URL: https://picasaweb.google.com/108976067105384479321/VirginiaBeachVA#.

Zoo URL: http://www.virginiazoo.org/

Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is a nice zoo! There is a train you can ride for two dollars per person which gives you an overview of the zoo. It runs.. I believe every half hour and takes about 20 minutes to tour. We went with my children's grandparents, and our three children ages 15, 7 and 21 months. The exhibits were interesting with many animals that our kids had not seen. The zoo was clean overall and the bathrooms were as well. There is a nice gift shop. There are several fountains in the entry area that the kids can play in if you choose. Certain things are not allowed in, but if you can take water I would recommend that. They didn't seem strict about it. I had a diaper bag and stroller. Great photo opportunities. I would say 1-2 hours to go through the zoo. You walk through at your own pace. Take a stroller for young children, but be aware they may have to come out at times to see some animals. There is a food court area, but we didn't go, so I am not sure about prices or quality of food. There are flower gardens also. Overall a very nice trip, we really enjoyed it!

Reviewed 5 September 2011

I have been going here for a long time and it just keeps getting better. The attractions are excellent. The kids love the water display in the front and they love all the animal and displays they offer . its a great way to spend your afternoon.

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Compared to our Zoo at home in Dane County, Madison, WI which is FREE and bigger: this zoo was small, boring and relatively expensive at $22 for for two (adult + teenager). I trusted the judgement of my host relatives, who thought they had free admission but there was some discrepancy about the passes not being valid for more than the two of them; I ended up paying and the admissions clerk was nasty about it. We rode the train courtesy of my host and could not see any of the animals from the train. The one positive part was that the train conductor was really upbeat and pleasant. The train was uncomfortable as the seats were very small. Not worth the trip or the expense when there are many beautiful and free things to do in VA. An unremarkable zoo.

2  Thank Te R
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We took our 2 year old to see the large animals that we dont have at our small local zoo. She was impressed. We all loved the giraffe exhibit. Ticket prices are a little high especially if it's something you would do often if you lived nearby. They don't give a discount for the last few hours of being open either. One price all day. We rode the train and my daughter really liked that. Worth the extra money to do it. Take drinks & snacks with you.