“Holiday Lights”

and up
Norfolk Passport to Fun
Ranked #3 of 77 things to do in Norfolk
Reviewed 23 November 2013

There is something about a million lights that makes me feel like a kid! I walked the Garden of Lights with friends and it is beautiful and fun. The route is 1 mile or less and when walking, you can catch a tram to return or walk back and enjoy the lights again. There are holiday themes, fairy tales, under the sea, up with the stars and moon, pumpkin patch and more. Nov 22-27 5:30pm-8:30pm the area is open for walkers and WOW you are really in the middle of it all. Nov 28-Dec 31 5:30pm-10pm open for cars.

3  Thank goneagain2
"nice gift shop"
in 9 reviews
"great place to visit"

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Unfortunately we were all too tired from other activities earlier in the day that we didn't get to see as much as we would have liked. They do have a free tram ride that makes several stops throughout the grounds, but we got there in time for the last ride, so we couldn't get off at a stop unless we were willing to walk a long way back. It was still nice to ride the tram since it was a narrated tour & we got to see areas that we wouldn't have walked to, since the place is huge. The tram is also wheelchair accessible. Admission is only $11, which I thought was a great price. One unique thing they have is an overlook of the Norfolk International Airport. You can watch planes take off & land & they have the radio communications from the control tower piped in to listen to. They have a small cafe/snack bar & a nice gift shop.

1  Thank dopey1200
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was visiting a friend in Norfolk during the government shutdown, so our initial plans of visiting federally funded sites were thwarted. Instead, tripadvisor led us to this place--and I'm glad it did. It was beautiful, and there was so much to see, even in October. I definitely plan on driving back down in the Spring to see it in full bloom. If I lived closer, I'd definitely buy an annual membership. Gorgeous.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is an extremely large place with lots to look at! The tram ride (which is free in the fall) is super interesting. I had a bad impression of them after taking one at the Virginia Zoo, but the girl on this one was extremely knowledgeable and the facts she told about the Garden were relevant and interesting. There are tons of different varieties of gardens and the Rose Garden and Statue one are really nice. Deborah helped us when we arrived, showing us good places on the map and answering all of our questions. It is pretty cool they do events there and that the place has been around for 75 years! Great place for couples especially, but also good for families (the WOW exhitbit for kids is nice - they can learn and have fun at the same time), and solo walkers, they even allow bikes on Mon, Wed, and Thur I think. We even got to watch planes take off and land from ORF right next door by climbing a small hill! (The Norfolk Int'l Airport is their next door neighbor). I would recommend this to anyone!