“Discriminate against Allergies”

Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 August 2013

While my stay was comfortable I stayed at this hotel due to there being no pets allowed. I have severe allergies. Imagine my surprise when I go to the elevators on my floor and run into a lady with a little "rat dog" and she says its a service dog-what kind of service could this little thing provide. I asked at desk if they keep track of the rooms "service dogs" stay in and they don't. I am not guaranteed a safe environment and might as well pay 1/3 of the price to stay in a hotel that allows pets.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Bryan K, Front Desk supervisor at Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

I am sorry for your inconvenience during your stay… We have strong constraints in regard to service animals. I have copied some items from the Americans with Disabilities act and posted them in this response to your comments.
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), privately owned businesses that serve the public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities, are prohibited from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. The ADA requires these businesses to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed
Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.
These regulations apply to all hotels and public areas with regard to service animals all hotels must allow service animals to provide them with the same hospitality and service as all our guests. We are extremely happy to be able to help all our guests. I am sorry that your experience was not the best during your stay because of this, The rooms are expertly cleaned after all guests check out of hotel and we have never had a negative incident providing the best service we can to our disabled guests with service animals. I thank you for your concern and hope this helps you understand the role our hotels plays making everyone’s stay here pleasant and safe.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

When checking in, we requested a cot. Seeing as it didn't easily fit in the standard room, we were moved to an accessible room, which had plenty of room to accommodate us all. Great service, going above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable. Very much appreciated!

The room was clean, though it could use a bit of a refresh on the finishing touches, but overall, it did the job.

Location wise, it's located just a short drive from Virginia Beach (but way more reasonably priced), central between Williamsburg, Va Beach, Norfolk, and the Chesapeake bridge.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SDubord
Bryan K, Front Desk supervisor at Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you and again thank you!!!! Your comments are so kind really makes me proud to be part of the team here at the Hampton inn and Suites… Our team here is truly cares and tries to help people as much as we can. We are a great location for almost all of the Hampton roads area. I know I am biased but we all believe we are the best hotel in Norfolk. I am glad to see by review your travels were safe and successful. We hope to see you soon!!!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

If you're looking for something close to the Norfolk International Airport, the Hampton Inn is the prime choice. Comfortable rooms, a great morning breakfast and quick access to all the major routes going north or south of Norfolk.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Earl B
Bryan K, Front Desk Supervisor at Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for your review!!!! We are happy you had a great time at our hotel and enjoyed yourself. We have such a super location we are seconds from interstate 64 and only 19 minutes to the beach, which is one of the many reasons we are a sure bet for a great stay. We also have the great Hampton standard which we try to exceed at all times. We hope to see you soon and have great year!!!!

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Hampton Inn continues its consistent high quality, affordable accommodations. I stay in Hampton Inns all over the US and found this one to be good. I would recommend it for anyone staying in the Norfolk, VA area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mickiechapman
Bryan K, Front Desk Supervisor at Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thank you for recommending us!!! It’s great we were able to maintain the very high Hampton standard for you. Your comments really capture Hampton Inns commitment to our guests and the values we know are important to you. I know that the team here works very hard to maintain and exceed our guest’s needs and expectations. Thanks for letting us know we are on track and continue to enjoy your summer. See you soon

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The hotel was nice. Clean, comfortable. The breakfast was enjoyable. The pool was fun. The service staff was very courteous. They always spoke in the halls & were quick to bring whatever we asked for. The front desk staff was only adequate. They didnt go overboard on friendliness, but they were ok. The hotel would have gotten 5 stars from me if they had been a little better. But overall yes, I would recommend staying here.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SpikesShieldmaiden
Bryan K, Front Desk supervisor at Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

How nice of you to take the time to review the hotel. It is so important to us to get this kind of feedback so we can gauge our service and amenities. We do have a wonderful team here and I am disheartened the Front desk team let you down. Our team here is our most precious “WOW” factor and it seems we were not firing on all cylinders for your stay. I will congratulate all our staff and see how we can improve our Front desk team. Here at the Hampton Inn and Suites “Ok” is not an acceptable quality of service. Thank you so much for helping us become a better and the Friendliest hotel in the Norfolk area. Enjoy the rest of your summer!!!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I really appreciate the staff here, we had been displaced from our current lodging quarters at the Naval base and we were offered a place to stay right away even at the last minute. We are truly grateful for your hospitality here and make our experience memorable for us. We will be back definitely at your location whenever we are in the area!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank royalgurl
Bryan K, Front Desk Supervisor at Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you and we appreciate you taking the time to leave these kind comments. We are so happy we could help you with your lodging needs. We have a very caring team here and try our best to help people in need. It give us a real sense of satisfaction to know we are helping people. The best part is we have a great hotel here and it makes it so easy for us to be at our best… Thank you again and see you soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Was an excellent hotel. The kids had a good time at the pool especially when we would get back to the hotel late, the pool hours were fantastic. The breakfast was awesome each day; lots to choose from. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbie L

Hi, from the team at the Hampton Inn and Suites!!! We are so happy you had good time here at our wonderful hotel. We are a great place for kids and the family as well as business travelers in the area we do keep our pool open a little later so our guests get to enjoy the beautiful pool we have. Hampton Inn breakfasts are famous for the variety and the quality. I love to get comments like these make me so proud of our hotel and our team here. Thank you and spread the word!!! We are here and waiting to give you the best we have.