“Nice menu and great food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Green Onion
Ranked #69 of 695 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Joaquin Valley California
“Nice menu and great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Had the Scallops. They were very good and perfectly cooked. A great menu with many choices. Casual atmosphere and close to Old Dominion University. (probably 5 minutes by car). Bar on site.

Visited February 2014

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“beyond bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

bartender rude, mussels no broth, cold just a bad experience. we arrived on a Sunday morning around 11:00 am. Restaurant not that busy. 3 cooks working, Maybe a 50 seat restaurant. more than enough wait staff. When I ordered at the bar, bartender said she couldn't hear me, maybe because she was 10 feet away and made no effort to come closer-she had an attitude maybe because she was hung over??. when we sat at a table took 15 minutes to be approached by a server. we ordered mussels because we heard they were good. came out 35 minutes later. They were cold and no broth and bread uncooked, it was white and cold like it just came out of a box. we sent them back and a few minutes later our breakfast came out. the mussels never reappeared. I ordered eggs benedict the menu said smoked pork tenderloin. what I got was Canadian bacon. eggs over cooked and not runny. the waiter gave us 50% off our bill but I would have liked a good breakfast.

1 Thank louisb411
Franklin, Virginia
“maybe an off night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

This is a place my wife has gone to several times for brunch, so I was eager to try it for dinner. It sits on a corner in a nice little section of Ghent among some upscale stores and salons. Parking can be tricky, but we got in right away in a nearby lot that is within easy walking distance. Inside, it's a bit quirky, tables to one side, a bar in the middle and couches on the other side. It has a sort of coffee style/cozy feel in the couch section and a more "sleek industrial" feel near the bar area. It's as if they can't quite decide to whom they would like to cater.
As for the restaurant, wow. We were so disappointed. We went with two other friends and were seated promptly. Plus! Our drink orders were taken and received quickly. Plus! And then the pluses ended.
The menu is limited. 3 soups/3 salads. Okay. Good. Appetizers, only 3-2 seafood and one cheese. There are no pasta dishes, 4 seafood dishes, 2 beef dishes, 1 pork, 1 duck, 1 chicken.
Our friends ordered a salad and 2 entrees, and the salad didn't come until the main courses. Our salad (we shared a caesar) was, of all things, bland. No tang, no tartness, no creamy goodness. No nothing.
Then we waited for dinner. And waited. And waited. The waitress apologized, brought out the salad and bought a drink for the salad delay.
My wife ordered the salmon. It arrived not just undercooked but cold..as were the potatoes and asparagus. We sent it immediately back as all the other entrees had arrived. It came back a very few minutes later...all still cold. We sent it back and refused to order another item. The waitress was extremely apologetic and bought us a drink and a dessert.
I ordered the chicken with the artisanal macaroni and cheese and asparagus. The asparagus was good. The macaroni and cheese was thick and creamy, but lacking any subtle or intense flavors, so it ends up being hot and creamy, but not much else. The chicken was nicely done but came with an odd side of...buttery ???
Our dinner companions seemed to enjoy their meals, a filet and lamb.
Now, let me be clear. This place touts an executive chef and charges a good sum-not NYC, but not cheap either: 19 for the chicken, 25 for the salmon. Bread with dinner? No. This will cost you 2.50. Additional sides are between 4-6 dollars.
So you go expecting that it's going to be fabulous. The waitress said they were "really busy" and had gotten in a crowd. (A table of 8 were seated around the same time.)
I appreciated the server's apologies, but what I really wanted on our monthly splurge was a memorable meal. And it was. But not for the right reasons. She may yet tempt me for a cheese plate for brunch at some point, but I am not eager to return.

1 Thank washnahi
Norfolk, Virginia
“Brunch Fail”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

After looking up the reviews and looking at the menu online, my mother and I decided to come here this morning for Sunday Brunch. The main reason I chose this place is because their corned beef hash sounded really good on the menu. We planned to get there when they opened because we had other things to do but when we got there we were told they were running 15 minutes behind.

We ended up waiting anyway. The decor wasn't great...wasn't terrible. We both already knew we wanted to try the corned beef. Seconds later, the waitress comes back to tell us they didn't have it today. So, they're "behind" and they didn't have the item we want. Great.

We searched for other things to order but nothing else really looked as good and everything was overpriced for brunch. An omelette with no sides was $13. I settled on shrimp and grits and got a side of challah toast for $1.5 that was literally as wide as two fingers put together. They were also out of strawberry jam or jelly. The sauce on the shrimp and grits tasted like melted cheese and thousand island salad dressing. I told the waitress and she just said "oh...I'm sorry". I didn't feel like being difficult so I just ate the 4 pieces of shrimp and she threw the rest away. My mother asked for her eggs scrambled hard and they were clearly still very "wet". Our bill was $31 for a large bowl of thousand island cheese grits and wet scrambled eggs+bacon. Wasn't the best start to my day to say the least.

I don't know about lunch or dinner but brunch was a fail :(

Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the best Ghent options.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I love the Green Onion! Brunch is to die for-- the food is very fresh and outstanding, and the atmosphere is fun and laid-back. It's a nice slightly higher end option on Colley Avenue.

Visited December 2013

Been to Green Onion? Share your experiences!