“Excellent Course... in great condition...”

Santo da Serra Golf Club
and up
Santa Cruz Hop-On Hop-Off Tour from Funchal
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Machico
More attraction details
Owner description: Over-looking the bay of Machico lies the Santo da Serra Golf Club. Its original course, built in 1937, was redesigned in 1991 by the famous golf architect Robert Trent Jones who created a spectacular 27 hole golf course in one of the most beautiful landscapes that nature may offer. The MACHICO and the DESERTAS courses are the ones usually played on the Madeira Island Open, while the SERRAS course, though slightly plain, maintains the same game level.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Course... in great condition...”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Fantastic course and facilities...what more can I say? Was only going to play once but ended up playing all three courses, but not all on the same day. The course is in great condition, the greens are fast and designed to make you think, and you can't help but stop and look at the views, which are in themselves stunning. My favourite hole had to be the second on the Desertas course. You feel that you are teeing off from the top of the world!
I have met some great people and had a great couple of days and thoroughly recommend that this course joins your 'must play' course list.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Louise S

• Czech first
Funchal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“fantastic views”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

one gets beautiful views/scenery from most of the golf course. Challenging course but very pleasant spot of the Island

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Paulo N
Funchal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Must See and Play”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

With 27 holes and three courses to choose from you are spoilt for choice. The settings are idylic and showcase Madeira's and the courses natural beauty and stunning vistas. The courses are in excellent condition and inviting. The customer service was excellent as was the restaurant with its stylish surroundings, friendly staff, delicious and beautifully presented food. It just made a special day even more special.

Visited February 2014
Northampton, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“What a golf course”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This has to be one of the most scenic golf courses Europe, sea views on nearly every hole. Very welcoming staff, the discount through our hotel eased the pain of the green fees. Good condition despite the variable unseasonal weather which caused additional green keeping issues.
Very good and testing golf course, as you would expect from a course used on the European Tour. My wife and I are both single figure golfers and found the course exceedingly demanding on both our golf and our walking fitness. I would recommend a buggy for most mere mortals.
Hopefully will return one day.

Visited February 2014
Fareham, United Kingdom
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 326 helpful votes
“A great place for lunch with a view”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Let's get one thing clear at the beginning. I am not a golfer. I like my sports to be a competition against one or more others, where what you do, both mentally and physically, has a direct result on the others playing. Golf, despite the protestations of golfers, is not like that. What you do or do not do has no effect whatsoever on the way your companions play.

So why was I at the Santo da Serra Golf Course? I can answer in two words: Lunch and the View. The latter is just spectacular. Well, on a clear day it is. On the day we went it was variable but when the clouds (and the rain) disappeared the view was wonderful to the end of Madeira and beyond.

Lunch looked as if it might be disappointing. The board outside the restaurant mentioned one Dish of the Day which was certainly not one I would choose. However, there was a much more extensive menu inside and both my wife and I found something to enjoy. There really is nothing to criticise. The staff were friendly, the food was good and the service was fine as long as you were not in any hurry. On the day we were there someone seemed to have organised a golf buggy race for a crowd of, well, let's just say Young Ladies. I didn't think they did such things at International Golf Courses but what would I know? Perhaps I should give the game another go!

Getting to Santo da Serra is not that easy. At least it wasn't for the exhausted Renault Clio I had hired which seemed to spend half of the journey in first gear. Still. it was worth it and I'd do it again.

Visited January 2014