The hotel is on Lavadores beach a 30 minute bus or 15 minute taxi ride from Porto city centre. We bought a 3 day Andante travel card (11 euros) at the airport, caught the metro to Casa de Musica and took the 902 bus which drops you outside the hotel at the end of its journey.
Check in was quick and efficient; the receptionist was helpful and gave good advice about sightseeing. The other staff were friendly and service was of a high standard.
Bedrooms could do with a bit of minor refurbishment, but were great value - we paid £47 per twin room breakfast included. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom had a separate toilet and a decent bath/shower, all spotlessly clean.
Good breakfast selection of cold meat, fruit, cheese, baked goods, and some scrambled egg and bacon, which they re-filled if asked - don't be shy! We ate a very good dinner in the restaurant, probably the best meal of our stay in Porto. The bar snacks we ate one night weren't up to much, on the other hand.
Walk along the ocean for great sunsets. Some beach bars to the south, but a 10 minute walk north brings you to a lovely beach with dramatic breakers, a great view of Porto and the Duoro estuary and some Neolithic carvings on the rocks, according to a friendly local who befriended us.
The main disadvantage with the Casa Branca is that it's a bit away from the city centre and there's not a lot going on around it in October, but I'd say that the positives outweigh this negative and the taxis are cheap and speedy, sometimes scarily so! I'd recommend it to friends visiting Porto.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at Praia de Lavadores, next to Douro's and only 10 minutes from Oporto's Historical City Centre, Golden Tulip Porto Gaia Hotel & SPA offers an absolutely amazing view, starting with its 57 rooms, all decorated with quality and comfort so you can daily enjoy the splendor and magnificence of the Atlantic Ocean. Equipped with a large variety of facilities and services, such as 57 rooms, the "Casa Branca Restaurant", the Baccus Bar, the Alvarez Bar, Health Club with indoor heated pool, sauna, gym, Jacuzzi and Turkish bath, Golden Sense SPA with relaxing and beauty rituals, 6 meeting and banqueting rooms, Wi-Fi Internet, Room Service, Laundry Service, parking facilities, insuring all the quality and accuracy in details that qualifies our taste for welcoming and providing you an unforgettable stay. Let yourself be enthralled by the delicious local gastronomy at "Casa Branca Restaurant", where the traditional flavours mix with the most famous regional wines. In perfect harmony with nature, Golden Tulip Porto Gaia Hotel & SPA it's strategically located 6km from Oporto City Centre, 50 km from Aveiro, 50 km from Braga and just 20 km away from the International Oporto Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Golden Tulip Porto Gaia Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Branca Beach And Golf Hotel
- Casa Branca Beach Hotel
- Hotel Casa Branca Beach
- Golden Tulip Porto Gaia Hotel And Spa Portugal/Vila Nova De Gaia