This hotel is located in Gaia on the South side of the Douro river, about 40-45 minutes walk from central Porto, and about 30 minutes' walk from the old Port wine lodges. Alternatively, the excellent and cheap Metro system is a 15 minute walk from the Hotel (Euro 1.20 per journey for Zone 2 which covers central Porto out as far as the seaside town of Foz), and you can change Metro lines or hop on a bus to continue your journey so long as it is completed within the hour. The hotel itself, standing as it does on a hill, is visible from most of Porto, so a good landmark for fixing your position. The hotel itself is excellent: modern, stylish, with pleasant en-suite rooms (ask for a higher floor room with a river view for excellent panoramic views cross the city and river). Because the hotel is located in Gaia, where a lot of locals live, prices are cheaper than in central Porto so it is worth exploring the local area. We had breakfast at a bakery near the Metro station (Joao de Deus) where a coffee and freshly-baked croissant (often still warm from the oven) cost Euro 1.40, and became so well-known to staff that after a couple of days they brought us our order without even asking! Similarly, a local Chinese restaurant offered an excellent all-you-can-eat buffet for 12 Euros including drinks. El Corte Ingles department store is also adjacent to the local Metro station (with an entrance direct from the Metro station itself). The Reception staff in the hotel were very helpful with local information, and happily printed off our boarding cards for our onward flights. The hotel also has a very pleasant, spacious bar lounge area near Reception and also a few tables on an outdoor terrace near the main entrance. I would not recommend this hotel for those who do not like walking or for the less mobile; however, if you don't mind a short walk to the Metro, or even a longer walk after breakfast downhill to the beautiful river gorge that Porto stands on, I recommend this hotel: the local neighbourhood will give a more authentic experience of Porto in contrast to the scenic city centre and World Heritage area. It has a very nice spa too where use of the hydrotherapy pool, sauna and steam room costs only Euros 15 per person for hotel residents. A relaxing and reviving alternative to sightseeing in case of a rainy day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Choose the Holiday Inn Porto Gaia and enjoy the magnificent views over the Vila Nova Gaia and Porto cities. The Holiday Inn Porto Gaia is a four star deluxe hotel located in the heart of Vila Nova de Gaia - Porto. The hotel is only a short distance from the worldwide famous port wine cellars, the historical city center of Oporto, blue flag beaches and also train and metro station. We welcome you into our inviting and ample lobby where you can enjoy different sensations. Try the flavors of typical Portuguese food in our restaurant and bar "Food & Friends." Our rooms and suites are the perfect place to disconnect from the outside world and appreciate the small details like the complimentary internet access. Our executive floor located on the 22nd floor is an experience that you need to try. All the bedrooms located in this floor have access to the executive lounge, to the gym and the amazing panoramic view over the river Douro and the cities of Vila Nova de Gaia e Porto. The hotel Holiday Inn is the perfect choice for your meeting or event. We have at your disposal a congress center with 1500 m2 and 16 meeting rooms equipped with stat of the art audiovisual technology and a group of specialized professionals that will help you. Its strategic location with Porto Congress center, the short distance from the Trade Fair Centers - Exponor and Europarque and the airport Sá Carneiro make Holiday Inn Porto Gaia the perfect choice for leisure as well as business trips. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Porto Gaia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Porto Gaia Hotel Vila Nova De Gaia
- Melia Hotel Gaia Porto
- Sol Melia Gaia Porto
- Holiday Inn Porto Gaia Portugal/Vila Nova De Gaia