“a very enjoyable staying...”

Hotel Solverde Spa & Wellness Center
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Vila Nova de Gaia
“a very enjoyable staying...”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I was anxious to return to this hotel, perhaps not the fanciest or poshiest but since many years I always liked to stay there. The arrival of my new BMW was a wonderful excuse to drive 500 Km and revisit H Solverde again...and I was not disappointed!
I like the place, I asked for rooms with a sea view (and granted), the staff was always polited and nice. I had the pleasure of re-meeting the Chef de Table, an old aquaintance from older times and another hotel were he had worked previously, that remembered me well, and was very nice both dinner and lunch and in the bar. The food was excellent, but I was craving for the cakes the make for breakfast: yes, still as tasty as 30 years ago in the "good old times"...!!!
Having read some reviews complaining about something like a crttv (whatever that is)... My room had a 180 degrees panoramic real-time, true-color, enhanced reality, 5 dimensions (including a lovely smell from sea-spray), and, as a bonus, a full-moon the biggest in years! Yes, I couldn't change channel nor watch the news...but only a fool would!
Definitely coming back preferably in winter and with bad weather...get warm and cosy in the the room with my Sweetheart, a cup of Earl Grey, watching, listening and smelling the storm in the balcony, enjoy that lovely breakfast....

Room Tip: I prefer with a sea view...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
GSolverde, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Solverde Spa & Wellness Center, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Mr. José G.,

We would like to thank you for your comments, and also pleased to know that we have made your stay at Hotel Solverde a pleasant one.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in the near future for any assistance you may need in your next visit to Portugal.

We hope to see you soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a week long business trip and was generally very pleased with my stay. All staff everywhere you go within the complex are extremely friendly and helpful and the facilities are great! Really enjoyed the indoor and outdoor pools and sauna / steam room facilities at the end of a busy day of meetings.
There are some areas in need of improvement such as the TVs in the rooms and the exterior does look a little dated in areas. Maintenance work was being conducted so steps in the right direction! One thing I was very disappointed with was the hotel restaurant. One evening I visited and was the only guest for the duration of my meal!? Not once did I see a single other person eating in the hotel restaurant - and maybe for good reason. I specifically ordered a pesto based seafood pasta dish (double checking with the waiter that it did not contain cream - which he confirmed) only to be served a creamy pasta dish with white wine??! When I queried why - the waiter just said that they had ran out of the pesto sauce so thought a 'cream' sauce would be ok!!?? I was stunned! Didn't I just say I absolutely didn't want a cream sauce......? Oh....sorry sir!
Apart from this I would absolutely suggest that you stayed at this hotel and I will be sure to visit again when in the area on business

Room Tip: Strongly suggest a sea view room
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
GSolverde, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Solverde Spa & Wellness Center, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear Mr. Dean,

We hope to see you soon.

Yours Sincerely,
Guest Relations - Hotel Solverde
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 20 April 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on 2 previous trips to the area, which is why we returned. It is situated in a lovely location, on the beach, with miles of walks available. The hotel staff were lovely, very friendly. The foyer is inviting, with fresh flowers. Bar area was very nice too.
However, the hotel is a bit tired! Our room needed maintenance, needed re-furnished. The outside pool area needed maintenance also.
The restaurant meal, dinner, was average, quite expensive. Wifi was only available in the foyer, by sitting on a certain sofa, as explained by receptionist!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
GSolverde, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Solverde Spa & Wellness Center, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Sir,

About the opinions based on the experience of your stay, we have taken notice and we will give special attention to them with the objective of improving our services.

We hope to continue counting on you as a client of the Hotel Solverde.

Solverde, Costumer Service
Mons, Belgium
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The reason for booking this hotel was for the 5 star rating. The hotel at most was probably 3 stars. And that's being generous. The room was a decent size but expected better quality bed and bathroom. TV was a 27" CRT from the mid 90's. I expected a flat panel but that's just me. I usually like a huge TV in my hotel rooms. The mini bar fridge was tiny and out dated. On the outside it states that the fridge is exclusively for hotel drinks. Basically saying not to put your own stuff in there. Not that we didn't but... come on now. If your a 5 star hotel why do you care what we do with the mini bar fridge?

Our room was cleaned after the first night. The rest of the trip we had to use the same towel and bedding. Not sure why they stopped cleaning our room after the first night. It wasn't even during busy season. So not like the staff were preoccupied.

We ordered room service the first night and the food was pretty bad so the next day we went across the street to Lidl to grab a few things to make our own sandwiches. I asked if they could bring us a fork, knife and some mayo packets. When the guy arrived at the door with the stuff he handed me a bill for 3 euros. For utensils and some sauce packets??? Come on now. The swimming pool was nice... there's no hot tub though. Unless you pay extra. The sauna areas are not co-ed so if you go with your gf or wife,be prepared to relax on your own. Oh and to swim in the pool,even to just lounge, you must wear a swim cap. And if you don't bring your own, then you have to buy one for 4 euros each. Come on now.

The day before leaving we decided to try lunch at the hotel restaurant. Do not get the penne. I couldn't finish it. The pasta was wayyyy too salty. All in all... pretty disappointed in the exerience I had here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jay P
GSolverde, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Solverde Spa & Wellness Center, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear "Jay P",

We are trully dessapointed to hear that you had a bed experience in our hotel.
We recognise that the TV are old fashion and we are already evaluating that situation.
Regarding the cleaning of the rooms we may assure that all rooms are cleaned and all the towels and bed sheets are daily changed, unless the guest takes the "Save our Planet" procedure (available in all rooms) in wich if they keep the towels hanged they wont be changed and if they let them in the floor (or inside the bathtube) they're changed. Probably thats waht happened but it could have been clarified with the front desk during the stay at any moment.

Nevertheless we do hope to welcome again and we are sure that you'll change your opinion about our hotel and staff.

Solverde, Costumer client.
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I spent a week in Espinho on a business trip. The hotel is right on the beach and I loved everything about it. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and comfortable. Nice amenities. I had a fantastic sea view. The food at the restaurant is excellent and I was particularly impressed with the professionalism and attention to detail of the waiters. By day two, they already knew what kind of coffee or tea we liked to have at the end of dinner. The spa is pristine and the indoor pool and gym are excellent. Well worth a stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alwaystravelling3
Dear "Alwaystravelling3",

This is the main reason for our daily effort. Reviews like this one let us know that we are on the right path.
Thank you so much for your kind words.
The Solverde staff hopes to welcome you soon again.

Solverde, Costumer service.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Visiting this hotel in December and in its full Christmas decor was simply amazing. Although I did not ask it looked like some of the staff had been given the opportunity for some creative flair and it worked.

This beach front location combined with spa and wellness facilities is just a short journey form the amazing city of Porto. Rooms are sea facing, comfortable and clean with balconies and outside sea water pools are heated of course.

The hotels restaurant is very capable of delivering the ultimate dining experience and to be honest on my travels I rarely take dinner in the hotel. This is one time I am pleased to have eaten certainly some of the best presented and tasting food for a long time.

Occupancy levels vary and this is a popular hotel so early booking is to be considered.

Room Tip: ask when booking for higher floors
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WhickerSmith
Dear Mr. "WhickerSmith",

The hotel staff and specially the restaurant staff were delighted with your review.
We hope to welcome back again soon.

Solverde, Costumer service.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 12 December 2012

If you want to be in Porto and yet near the sea, this hotel has excellent location-with a beautiful sea-view. Nice lobby as you enter. Room was fairly comfortable. Balcony was ordinary and not clean. The pool and spa were adequate; the spa could have a more prominent signage for men/women- comprehensible to non-Portuguese people too. Use of cap by men spoiled the fun of swimming. Reasonably close to a spate of seaside restaurants and a casino to boot.Does not feel like a 5-star property though.When I was chatting with the taxi driver on way to the airport and told him about the Yeatment being a much better 5 start hotel, he said ,'how can you compare a Fiat with a Mercedese?' That pretty much says it all for the hotel. But lobby, dining room are quite nice and the breakfast quite satisfactory. Service very warm and staff helpful.

Room Tip: Try for a sea-facing room at higher floor for a gorgeaous view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Mr. "wineguyindia",

We are pleased with your comment. We will revise the signage used in the Spa area in order to improve the comunication with our guests. As for the use of the cap thats not the hotel legislation but the portuguese legislation aplied to all indoor swimming pools. We only "follow the rules".
We are happy with your comment and we expect to welcome you again soon.
The taxi driver opinion is as valid as any other opinion and we are very happy to have many good hotels in the Oporto area. The Yeatman is unquestionably one of the best in the world but the Fiat / Mercedes question seems a bit exaggerated.
We keep on doing our best as we do for the last 20 years always thinking in our guests.

Solverde, Costumer Service.
Novotel Porto Gaia
Novotel Porto Gaia
#4 of 14 in Vila Nova de Gaia
Golden Tulip Porto Gaia Hotel and Spa
Golden Tulip Porto Gaia Hotel an...
#12 of 14 in Vila Nova de Gaia

Been to Hotel Solverde Spa & Wellness Center? Share your experiences!