“Great for family stay”

Pushkarskaya Sloboda Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Suzdal
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed in the main building, and on the ground floor.
There's no lift to upper floors so it helps, however it can be a bit noisy especially since we're facing the entrance, and we heard people talking outside the window till late.

Rooms are reasonable except the mattresses are a bit soft.
Got a coupon to the sauna, but then it's only for 9-11am in the morning, so no chance to use it.

Had a leisurely walk in the yard with facilities like merry-go-round, see-saw, so if you had younger kids they'd love it. Otherwise everything in Suzdal is in walking distance and a late night walk with the sun still up is very peaceful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We did a month long travel of Russia July 2014 and this was by far our favorite hotel!! The tranquility of its setting, the gardens you stroll through, the old streetlamps lit at evening, and the quaint and comfortable rooms were fabulous. There was even free high speed internet in the room You are in easy walking to the local market for a bit of souvenir shopping and the wood museum which is a must see. The only drawback to this wonderful hotel is the restaurant. Supper and breakfast buffet was included in our package but it was well below average in quality and variety.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RheaJeena
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Suzdal is a small village and this hotel just makes you appreciate the beauty more. the rooms are comfortable. wood museum, the blue church and local market are within walking distance.

a nice hotel which is like home... the stream flowing just across the road made the stay more fun...

breakfast was strictly average :(

Room Tip: Take garden facing rooms or independent dachas.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PurPar
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 days (it was a business meeting) and were satisfied with service, food, conference room facilities.
Spa is nice and reasonably priced. Location is perfect (Suzdal is tiny so everything is within walking distance)
Hotel territory is lovely and well maintained

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I’d rate this hotel somewhere between good and average. This is the second time I stayed here. There are things which are very good and even outstanding here and there are things I cannot forgive to a 4 stars hotel.

So let me begin. There are several buildings in this hotel. Both times we stayed in the separately standing building where rooms are called “Enhanced 4****”. Both times our rooms were sufficiently spacious and neat. This it cost us 4700 roubles (about $135). Everything was clean and spotless. I cannot explain why but entering room triggered pleasant feelings and anticipation of coming relaxation.

Beds were moved together to make “double”. We slept very well on comfortable pillows and elastic mattresses. Air conditioner was absolutely silent, it was one the best I ever had in hotels.

Strangely, the TV set in such spotless business level room was comparably small and seemed outdated, although it was working well. I had several Russian channels and a few international news channels like DW (Deutsche Welle) and BBC. Taking into account presence of these famous news channels and international guests, I was perplexed that the hotel did not have RT (Russia Today) channel in the list. I’d recommend the hotel management to consider adding it.

Normally I always need tea kettle as I’m keen on tea after long trips. The electric kettle was not supplied to the room, but the reception reassured me the tea kettle can be provided on request. Fortunately we had very good alternative – two complimentary bottles of mineral water which were refilled daily. Additionally a water dispenser existed down the corridor near the entrance to the building.

Wi-Fi existed, it was included into my rate but worked terrible from my point of view. Honestly if you only need occasional access for browsing web pages and email you might not notice inconvenience with Wi-Fi. In my case I needed Wi-Fi to stay connected to corporate network for conducting meetings and phone conversations. Wi-Fi did not meet these requirements: using corporate phones with MS Lync or making personal calls with YouMagic were not possible. For that reason I had to slightly shorten my stay in this hotel and leave earlier to be able to attend a meeting from our corporate office.

Bathroom had all required things such as good but generic toiletries and even toothbrush with toothpaste. Though toilet paper was oddly cheap for 4 stars hotel. Sewing kit and shower cap were also found in a little basket near the mirror in bathroom. Having all of these the bathroom would be almost impeccable unless the wash-bowl and bathtub had serious problems with draining. I even had to contact reception to fix this. Surely, the receptionist showed professional attitude and respect to my complaint. Later that day I found that water drained well in the wash-bowl. But water in the bathtub did not drain any better what disappointed me much.

We stayed for two nights and noticed that room cleaning took place. Everything was fine however trash bin was not emptied and the same plastic bottles left by us a day before were seen the next day.

Breakfast was included in our rate and was perfect full buffet from my point of view. I was able to find everything I could imagine and what I usually have for my personal meal when I’m at home: real hot oatmeal porridge, omelette, cottage cheese casserole, hard boiled eggs, pancakes and surely standard food like cheese, ham, sausages. Last time we badly missed cottage cheese and informed ladies supervising breakfast about our culinary preferences. This time they had it in the menu for breakfast and I confirm that it was very decent cottage cheese with sour cream. Well done.
Tea, coffee, juice – everything was there. They even had decoction of rich rose-hips which I had not seen in other hotels and was very popular among guests.

For lunch and dinner we preferred café “Uley” (“Beehive” in English). There is a couple of other cafes in this hotel facility but I tell you – “Uley” is the best among them. Seemed other guests thought the same as it’s hard to find a table in the evening without prior reservation. Occasionally your dinner will be enriched with Russian Folklore show in with songs performed in traditional costumes.

When you are not the hotel, do not forget to visit churches and then maybe buy a few souvenirs in shops found everywhere downtown. Taste mead (“Medovukha” in Russian, a honey-based alcoholic drink which consists of honey and yeast) and take a bottle or two for your friends – this is a very traditional and authentic beverage.

Besides churches and monasteries in Suzdal, I encourage you visiting Kideksha to experience charm of a small village and ancient Church of Saints Boris and Gleb. I bet you’ll be impressed by view at the church, Nerl river and narrow road running through the forest far away.

So, let’s finish the long story. The biggest disappointment for me became poorly working draining system in the wash-bowl and bathtub. I lacked tea kettle in the room, but except for that the room was very good. Breakfast was perfect!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank _0Alexey0_
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Air conditioning wasn't working in main building, breakfast had many options but few were appealing, not even Kleenex in room, round beds were amusing but not practical. Extra charge for later checkout.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jotjensen
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel is well positioned within a few minutes walking distance of the Kremlin and has lovely views across the adjacent river. The rooms are nice and rustic feeling and the grounds are pretty, particularly given the view across the river to the open fields and churches. Service provided by staff is much better than average for a Russian hotel and trust me I've stayed in many!

Two things stop me from giving a 5* rating:
1) Sound isolation in rooms in the main building is very poor and it gets quite noisy by 7-730am on the weekend. Make sure you get a room well down the corridor and not near the central staircase as it is very noisy. We moved rooms the second night and it was much better. Avoid the rooms on the first floor since everybody passes them in the morning to go to breakfast.
2) They charge 500 roubles a day for parking on the grounds of the hotel - I'd understand that for underground parking in Manhattan but this is rural Suzdal and it is a big countryside complex... The policy is quite frankly very dishonest on the part of management since I would say a significant majority of guests arrive by car and therefore I think it's simply a way of making their rates look slightly cheaper than their main competitor, the Best Western, since they know most people will pay the extra charge (c.10% of standard room rate).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple