“Can't wait to return!”

Ranked #2 of 40 Speciality Lodging in Mijas
London, United Kingdom
“Can't wait to return!”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

As trial members, this was our third visit to the Marina del Sol/California Beach resort and we had a wonderful week.

We had chosen a one bedroom appartment in Marina del Rey, because we like the town of Fuengirola and it is tthe nearest part of the resort to town. Although we arrived before mid day our appartment - no 530 - was ready and we were thrilled with the location - palm trees by the balcony and a superb sea view. The appartment was beautifully clean and well equipped, although the kitchen area was on the small side, with some of the equipment being housed in the TV cabinet in the lounge.

We were asked to attend a presentation, but when we declined, our refusal was accepted and noone bothered us further.

There was some refurbishment being undertaken in this section of the resort so there was no entertainment provided. A complimentary minibus service, however, was on offer to and from the California Beach part of the resort and we spent quite a few lovely evenings, having dinner and enjoying the entertainment at the Sunset Bar. As always, both in the Safari restaurant and in the bar , the service was exemplary. Fabio and Miguel are wonderful hosts, anticipating the customers' every needs.

We enjoyed our week in the winter sun so much that we decided to book again for the same time next year. After having some difficulty, because, apparently only a limited number of appartments are available to trial members, we contacted Member Services. Irina there could not have been more helpful and we will be back in that lovely spot again, both in the autumn and next January!

Carol L

Room Tip: Marina del Rey is a lovely, small complex and if you want a good sea view as for an upstairs appartm...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Carol L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We returned yesterday from a promotional visit to Club La Costa. We think my husband was approached at Malaga airport last summer and thats where they got our contact details from. Anyway, booking was ok. I tried to change to Tenerife after the original booking was made. They said they would get back to me with a price difference. Didn't get a call and by the time I contacted them a couple of weeks later, Tenerife was already sold out. So we decided to settle for Costa Del Sol.

First impressions were good. A car picked us up from the airport and reception was efficient. I was already a bit wary as I'd found it so hard to get information on the internet about the company, so was pleasantly surprised by the accommodation we were offered at Santa Cruise suites in the California Beach Resort. Beautiful apartment with a separate double bedroom and en suite bathroom. There was also a fully equipped kitchen with bread, milk, OJ tea bags etc. Very welcome as we arrived late at night.
We ate in Safari restaurant that night, and I had one of the best steaks ever. Beautiful meal and great service.
On Tuesday we had the 'presentation' and were collected from our apartment at 3 30 pm which meant we couldn't plan anything that day. We were taken back to Safari for lunch and spent at least 90 mins there with the rep BEFORE the presentation began. Repeatedly told it wasn't a hard sell, by 7 30pm we were both exhausted. We were interested in the product and the pricing, but it took them so long to get to the point. Everything was repeated at least twice if not three times. We have signed up as the deal suits us, but boy was it tedious. I work hard day to day and did not want or need this interminable imprisonment. They kept saying it was just a few minutes more to get the pricing and the paperwork done, and we eventually left just before 10 00 pm with a bottle of cheap plonk and a cab back to the restaurant to get dinner.
We have friends who have signed up to this years ago and have fantastic holidays all year round, however they are retired and able to pick and choose when and where to go. I'm not entirely convinced that we will a) save any money on holidays, or b) have great choice, but we will be able to offer this to our teenage daughter and friends and know they will have quality accommodation in a safe resort.
Fuengirola is cheap and tacky and at this time of year full of expats.After a precarious walk along the side of a dual carriageway, you reach a promenade and its about 40 mins walk to the centre of Fuengirola from there. Cant imagine the standard is any better in the height of summer. Its not an area I would choose to return to apart from the CLC resort being of such a high standard.The Marina has a strip of restaurants and is nice to sit out there but they have the usual picture menu's offering typical english fare. There are a couple of restaurants offering fare from Germany for example.

Another important point is the CLC resort is VERY hilly and could prove very challenging to infirm folk. Wouldn't like to walk small children around it either as cars are everywhere.

So there you have it. The jury is definitely still out.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank cityssliker
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at CLC Club La Costa World, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and may we welcome you to CLC World. we were glad to see that you enjoyed your apartment and had a lovely meal in our Safari Restaurant. We believe that at our presentation we are talking about an important investment in holidays for people and their families to enjoy for years to come and it would not be right to try to compress the information needed to make such an important decision into too short a time. We needed to find out from you the sort of holidays you and your family like to take so that we could offer a holiday product that best suited your needs. We try to do this in an informative and interesting way as well as offering a guided tour of the resort to showcase the different accommodation we have and we do appreciate that this can take some time. Our aim is to provide members with choice, quality accommodation, outstanding facilities and great offers and please be assured that our member services team is here to help you make the most of your membership. Do not hesitate to contact the team on memberservices@clcworld.com or telephone 0034 952 66 99 98 for advice and help. Fuengirola does not always look at its best in the winter months but has a lot of charm and several attractions. Marbella is a bus ride away and the wonderful city of Malaga is easily and cheaply reached by train from Fuengirola. The Costa del Sol has a lot to offer our visitors, both along the coast and inland and is well worth exploring a little more on a return visit. Our resort is built into the hills but we do find that our visitors, both young and old, enjoy taking advantage of the 'train' which stops at all points around the site! We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Resort Manager, Costa del Sol
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We stayed here in Feb for one week. We had 2 2 bed apartments at the Sierra Marina (Last year we stayed in marina del sol) The apartments were spaciouse, clean, well appointed, everything you need in kitcken etc. All the 2 beds at sierra marina have a sea view from the very large balcony.
We did an rci exchange again, and i would reccomend either CLC at sierra marina or CLC at marina del ray, as CLC at marina del sol was basic.
Again, the pools were lovey and there was a heated one which was good for kids. The kids club was open which was a godd supprise for our daughter, where she was welcomed back by Gary who is just fab!! The resturants again were very good, although one was closed along with one of the many pools for a full refurb, which looked promising!
We will def visit here again. Please dont be put off by petty reviews for the smallest of things, at the end of the day this is Spain, not the Ritz in London.

We will stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Sierra marina or marina del ray
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank cinders17_99
Kerry
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Stayed here at the end of june for 12 days as an end of school holiday with 3 friends, and we had a blast.
The townhouse was just what we needed, spent most of our time lounging at the pool. Having the bar right beside the pool with wifi and refreshments was perfect.
The apartment was lovely, albeit balmy at night, we felt it suited our needs perfectly.
With such close proximity to the beach, shopping centre and feungirola, we often ventured on evening strolls.
We were also lucky to be here the time Spain won the euros so the atmosphere was fantastic.
Reasonably priced for students/young people and everything on site where we needed. The service was impeccable and staff very friendly.
Would return here in a flash if it were possible.

Room Tip: Townhouses are brilliant due to proximity of pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Laura F
London
Reviewed 23 January 2013

CLC sent us to experience their resort and place for marketing purpose. I would certainly say that they are excellent providing high quality accommodation. It was wonderful apartment given to us with high quality two toilets and bathrooms, kitchen with sitting area and excellent bedroom. You can't get better self catering apartment than this. Whole resort area was brilliant. Restaurant was superb and serve delightful food. We had our evening dinner 6 out of 7 days at CLS restaurants though there were plenty of options to eat somewhere else that's how good it was. I will certainly go again if they send me for same price. I didn't sign with them though as I can't afford.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jpatel
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I travelled in Jan 2013 for two weeks with my two kids and my parents. My parents are members here and used their points so that myself and my kids could have a fairly inexpensive holiday, and as my parents have been here before they said they knew what to expect and where everything was etc, it seemed ideal. This is a long review but worth a read if you're considering investing, and take note of the photos.

I would like to say that overall I had a very pleasant stay and that most things were ok but there are a few niggly points that have made me rate it so low. I will first start with the positives.

We had two apartments in the Santa Cruz area and they were quite close to each other which was good, and the views from the balcony were fantastic. The apartments were well laid out and well equipped with the usual itmes in terms of kitchen equipment etc. we were also provided with dressing gowns, towels and a range of toiletries. In the fridge we found a welcome selection of items including bread, butter, jams, eggs and milk, just enough to get you by the first night and morning. We used the 'Safari' restaurant twice for dinner and twice for lunch during our two week stay and each time I felt the staff were pleasant and attentive. The kids loved the pool area and we spent a number of days just relaxing there. The Sunset bar was very close and happy hour was from 7pm-8pm where most drinks were half price and they had a cocktail of the day too. Entertainment was advertised daily from 8.30pm. There was a small land train service that was free to use that took you to other areas of the site and we caught this just outside reception to the 'local' shop that was onsite as it was cheaper than using Zak's. The kids enjoyed a horse ride at what I don't think is part of the resort but is on the site, and we also used the Ponderosa Rib House a couple of times. (I have written a separate review)

Now for the negatives and I don't know where to start in all honesty. The reception staff ranged from helpful and friendly to rude and dismissive. I work in a hotel on reception and if I treated guests the way I was treated at times I would quit my job now as it was completely unacceptable. I was made to feel in the way, at one point as I approached the reception desk the member of staff got up and walked away. Another was very upset I had interrupted her conversation with a colleague. The land train although useful changed it's operation times halfway through our stay and I only saw these new tiems displayed at one stop on the route. When I asked reception about this they looked at me like I was an idiot.

The housekeeping in the apartment was hit and miss, on arrival it looked ok but I noticed a few things that had been missed. There was a mountain of dust behind an easily accessbile pot plant and hairs coming out of the jacuzzi bath nozzles, they weren't mine, yuk! Each housekeeping visit yeilded different results and not one consistent visit was made. One day there was still cereal left on the floor that one of the kids must have spilled at breakfast and my bathroom bin was only emptied 4 times in the two weeks. We were readily handed with a piece of paper to sign one day when we refused any of the service and just asked for the kitchen bin to be emptied.

The jacuzz in in the main apartment was a lovely addition but was badly maintained with cracks all around it and a shaky handrail for getting out. It also hadn't been cleaned prior to arrival.

Team Marina is responsible for the activites put on at the site and also covered the evening entertainment. Some activities were cancelled due to high winds which I understand. However there was no miniclub at all the second week, which left the kids very disappointed. Also on more overcast days it would have been nice to have a kids play area with a slide and climbing frame etc as the pool was too cold. In terms of the evening entertainment this was atrocious. The singer, Nuria Lima, was quite good, although at one point she wasn't even singing, she just put on a track and did the backing singers part. One evening it was supposed to be a disco night with Gangnam style music, whilst not really my taste I thought the kids woud love it. This night consisited of older couples doing the tango, Julio Iglesias style music and one play of Gangnam Style. Now is also probably a good time to say the entertainment didn't start most nights until 9pm, as she didn't turn up until at least 8.45pm! We tried our hand at the black jack night but left quite disappointed after we had to explain the rules and how to play to the dealer. we didn't use the bar the second week at all.

The last very niggling point is made up of a couple of incidents. When my parents booked they asked for a three bedroom apartment with a jacuzzi in either the San Diego suites or Santa Cruz suites. They were told this wasn't available but they could have a two bed and one bed in Santa Cruz and they would get them close. They had the one bed and me and the kids shared the two bed with the jacuzzi and we did all the cooking etc in the two bed. During our stay there were two 3 bed apartments with jacuzzis available, as they were being used as show apartments. This was very frustrating and to be honest a bit of a mick take as my parents had to use extra points on 2 apartments when they could have had one. Similarly the standards in the three bed apartments were very high with immaculate furniture etc, and this is what was sold to my parents when they joined but they hadn't received it this time, so it was very misleading. I have posted photos. One morning we were all invited to breakfast and afterwards they made the sell to my parents. After telling the staff no several times they still weren't being listened to so the staff removed them from the marketing list. This is wrong, my parents weren't interested this time but does that mean they should miss out on offers or new resorts? Just accept the answer you're given! Again though they were being sold the 'perfect' apartments that in this case never materialised for use.

Again I would like to reiterate that I overall enjoyed my stay but if this had been the 'sell' for me I wouldn't have bought. One night in the bar I spoke to another guest who says she alternates between two different resorts each year to keep them on their toes. This shouldn't be necessary, and working in the holiday and hospitality industry myself I know how important it is to cultivate new customers but also the high importance of keeping the ones you have.

All of the negatives i have listed here were left in the questionnaire they give you to fill in before departure. I only hope that they actually take some notice because it wouldn't be hard to stop the standards slipping. They never actually market themselves as 5* or say those words, but that is the impression you get from the literature with the language they use, 'luxury', 'deluxe', 'premier plus', all words designed to evoke the best of the best and sadly it didn't quite match up in reality, as you don't get what they sell to you.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Igpants
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at CLC Club La Costa World, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Thank you for posting your review and we were glad to see that overall you enjoyed your holiday. We do set high standards for our maintenance and the levels of service from our staff and receive many positive comments. Your feedback is important to us because it helps us to maintain those standards and we offer our apologies for falling below the levels you expected and be assured that your remarks have been passed to the relevant departments. Unfortunately Team Marina mini-club was not operating during the second week of your stay because of low occupancy and we are sorry that this disappointed your children and apologise for any inconvenience. Apartments are subject to availability but we do try to ensure that families and parties travelling together are accommodated as near to each other as possible. Our members have chosen self-catering holidays rather than hotels and have stipulated not to have daily visits from the housekeeping team and our arrangements are designed to keep apartments clean and tidy in as unobtrusive a way as possible. May we take this opportunity to reassure you that your parents, as members, will always be kept informed about future special offers and resort devlopments.

Resort Manager
English in Bahrain
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Chose this resort after being recommended it from dial a flight. Told them that my husband works away so quality time together for us as a couple was equally as important as family time with our three young children. Top of the list was a kids club which they could all attend. On arrival we were shown a clean yet very dated apartment. Didn't have a clue before booking just how many different types of accommodation were available and we definitely drew the short straw there! (we paid to hire an air con unit as the fans did nothing to cool the place down). Anyway my main gripe was the fact that despite advising of the ages of our children before arrival, and in fact double checking it with dial a flight again before we left, once we arrived my youngest daughter was told she was too young to attend the kids club. To say I was annoyed would be a massive understatement as this was the main reason for choosing this resort. So don't take your three year old even if they say that they can attend the kids club, because they can't. It's from age 4 apparently. Seriously misled and totally disappointed :(

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Jacki07
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at CLC Club La Costa World, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
We were sorry to see that you were disappointed with your holiday. Our family friendly resort does have a popular children's club and if you visit our website www.clcworld.com/costadelsol/kids-club you will see that we do say that Team Marina organises a mini-club for 4-11 year olds, and that babysitting facilities can be arranged. The printed welcome information available in our accommodation also refers to this. It appears that your booking agent may have misunderstood this and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Resort Manager, Marina del Sol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mijas
Eurostars Mijas Golf & Spa
#5 of 27 in Mijas
Myramar Fuengirola Hotel
Myramar Fuengirola Hotel
#7 of 37 in Fuengirola

Been to CLC Club La Costa World? Share your experiences!