“Feels like a "cult"”

CLC Club La Costa World
Ranked #3 of 39 Speciality Lodging in Mijas
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a promotional holiday costing about £200 (accommodation only) on the proviso that u attend a "presentation".

The highs: clean, well kept resort, 4 star in my eyes not 5 but somewhere u will be happy to take ur family to. We had a room with communal pool and jacuzzi overlooking the sea. Good. Clean.

The lows: location is weird, middle of nowhere. Very steep climb from a motorway to home for u and the beach is shockingly small with very limited facilities. Can't walk to fuengirola as a family unless you walk 1 mile along a motorway 1 foot from HGV's. so u r stuck in resort without a car.

Definately hire a car.

Lows: the resort feels plastic and synthetic, not Spanish.

The presentation: nightmare. Full stop. I've got a baby and a four year old and we were kept for nearly five hours. It's a real emotional sell. Trained sellers that feed you, water you and treat you like kings and queens leaving you desperate to pay them. You feel you need to pay them to leave, to justify your holiday.

It's a smart and sophisticated setup.

The presentation details: I said I took four weeks per year holiday. They came back and said we can give you entry to our club for £22000 and an annual maintenance (that rises based on an AGM) of €949. This got me 1500 points and a login to a website. I was stunned. I saw a brochure from another member we stayed with and one week (without some blagged discount) would cost 1750 points. They tried to sell me the points as two weeks providing I got two offers, free upgrades, vouchers etc.

The up and short is that you pay a ridiculous amount for a login to a website that allows u to take a holiday for a maintenance fee. The maintenance fee will rise. So why bother, well the places they have r good quality and if u have £20k+ to give away then after 12-13 years ur holidays will actually be slightly cheaper but hey, who knows what state the property is in after that time or whether these guys won't have outsourced the operation to a Chinese outfit to run globally. No idea.

Safe to say we had a great holiday but this presentation was dire.

Tactics used included "if u but today then I will give u a special price because this is the last fraction available". You must sign today to get this price etc. shocking 80's style stuff.

The weird thing is, talking to other members its like a cult thing. It's as if they justify buying in by saying things like they come here every year. I don't get it but then again I like adventure and different places to go each year.

Be careful parting with 10's of thousands. It will easily go after u have been fed and given a few drinks...

Otherwise enjoy a super cheap break.

• Stayed: August 2013
11  Thank Andystone99
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at CLC Club La Costa World, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for your comments. We do recognise that investing in the opportunity to holiday around the world with us is an important decision and we take seriously the need to spend time with guests to find out what they enjoy doing,and whether there is a product that we can offer that will be of interest and may be offered with an attractive discount. With nearly 30 years experience of offering holidays, more than 50,000 members and 250,000 holidays arranged annually we can assure you that we make available a great deal of information, both printed and online, about the many holidays that can be enjoyed via CLC World, as well as providing a member services department and travel club that can be contacted for advice and assistance. Some members very much enjoy coming back to Spain each year, often to meet up with old friends, as well as taking up opportunities to go elsewhere in the world, and would probably not regard their holiday activities as a cult! we do of course recognise that our way of holidaying is not for everyone and wish you well on your future travels.
Resort Manager, Costa del Sol

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and and myself and two children have just come back from a say at clc marina we went to sunbave at the other clc side which we didn't know know we couldn't and were inbarised by the manager he said we could go another day as he was inviting us but we didn't go as we were so inbarised my daughter as learning difficulty and looks older than she his the life gard on the pool at the marina was lovely and friendly to the kids he is a credit to the place

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Paulinerya
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have just come back from visiting CLC world and I have to say it is a fantastic place to stay! The apartments are very good and have everything you need although there is no air con in some but can pay extra for it. The restaurants have very good food and up to standards especially Zacharys bar. The range of pools is excellent there is a shallow pool near Zacharys which is suitable for children and then there are other pools that are deeper which are great. Not a bad word to say about my stay here and would love to visit again!
One only problem is that your room is only visited once by maids and that is once a week and that is the only time you get towels changed but I was there for 10 days and I managed with the same ones for a week so its not too bad.
There is a welcome to Spain meeting at the El Rancho restaurant but you don't need to go really. There is one woman that talks to you and tells you what is on at Zacharays and other places on a night time in the complex which is helpful but a man talks to you after about time shares and buying an apartment but you aren't forced to do anything you don't want to so that is good. The meeting isn't essential as you can visit Team Marina office and they will give you all of the sheets with activities on that you would get at the meeting.
I would recommend this holiday to everyone whether you are on business, with family or just going as a couple, fantastic holiday!

Room Tip: Rooms up from the supermarket on the way to the beach are the best rooms. A lovely restaurant opposi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Emily T
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We are just back from a week long promotional holiday in San Diego apartments in Club La Costa. The studio apartment was a bit small but very well equipped. We arrived to find a fridge stocked with all the basics you would need to get you started. Much appreciated. I was dreading the "promotion" tour we had to agree but was very pleasantly surprised. We were taken for a lovely lunch, listened to what it was all about, then toured some amazing apartments and then back to listen to some more. Although the whole thing lasted about 4 hours, it was interesting and there was no hard sell or push. Our sales rep was lovely! ( she with the Irish nana from Co Mayo!) Our whole experience was excellent. Staff couldn't have been more helpful. Would definitely take the opportunity again if offered. Don't know if would be wise to wise to buy into.

Room Tip: Ask for the San Diego apartments!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnnMarieDerry
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 week in july for £199 we got the phone call !! Ok the deal is you get a cheap holiday if you agree to attend a presentation on buying a property at one of there resorts, we had no intention of buying so we was in it for the cheap holiday, the presentation lasted about 4 hours I would say yhey was a little pushy so stick to your plan!
The resort was nice we stayed in a marketing suite on the ground floor at Santiago resort, our room was of good size with all modern cons in the kitchen good size bathroom and bebroom with sky tv in both lounge and bedroom our apartment was clean and plenty of clean towels, the food was good there was 3 restaurant's on site serving various foods from snacks to a la cart
Overall I would go back to this resort but I wouldnt go through the presentation again.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank tigst4r
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location. Apartments were very luxurious,clean and with lots of appliances. Pool area had plenty of beds and lovely pools. Safari Restaurant was excellent and very reasonable. Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank zoemrst
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Received a call offering us heavily discounted accommodation at Marina del Sol after completing a questionaire at Tenerife airport after our holiday in the New Year. The offer was for our family of four at £249. We took up the offer and arranged flights. I admit I was a bit sceptical at first after reading the mixed reviews on here but thought we would go with an open mind. Please bear with me with this review I do tend to be thorough with my reviews so I can give you a good insight into how we found our holiday. Also I have read some recent reviews that are not good but we had a totally different experience to some of the most recent reviews.
Date of holiday 21st July - 28th July.
Arrival: Check in excellent, only us checking in approx 7pm. Was told prior to arrival via a courtesy call from CLC that we would be in a 1 bedroom apartment with all mod cons etc. Upon check in we were told we were in a 2 bedroom townhouse! Good start. Ourselves and luggage were taken round to our accommodation via the porters/car. Although we were just behind the reception its a one way system around some of the complex. Entered accommodation and Wow! Fully fitted kitchen inc washing machine etc, large lounge and dining area with a dining area to seat 6 people, sofa, chairs, stools, tv, dvd player and cd player etc. Spotlessly clean couldn't fault in any way. Terrace with table, parasol, 4 chairs and 2 further reclining chairs. Terrace led out onto a large lawned communal area. Fab view of sea and view of coastline to Fuengirola and beyond! and a stones throw away from the pool! Couldn't ask for better. Marble staircase led up to a spotless marble bathroom with shower over bath, main bedroom, twin bedroom on rear of property. Both bedrooms had ample built in storage. Iron and ironing board in twin room storage. Air conditioning was in lounge area and main bedroom. In the twin bedroom it was ceiling fan.Again all areas were spotless. Decor was great. I am attaching some photos so you can see exactly what it was like. (keep checking back as I have some other property photos on another device that I have not uploaded yet. As soon a s I have I will put them on here).
Overall complex: No problems with staff. found them all to be friendly and would help you in anyway. Tried El Tajo restaurant - this is a must! Excellent food and service. We went there twice during our stay and would highly recommend. El Tajo is next to Sam's pantry, next to Reception. Sam's pantry is great for fresh baked bread in a morning and if you feel peckish in the afternoon there is a large selection of cakes to eat in or take out. Very yummy. They also have a small selection of groceries.There is also a small mini market on site down past Zacharys towards the beach.
As previous reviewers have said the complex is large and very hilly but there is the road train that will take you around the resort.
We also tried Zacharys restaurant.Bit like an American sports bar type place. Again was very good, in our case service was not slow as some reviewers have commented on and food was good.
Staying in the accommodation we were allocated we were allowed to use numerous pools as pointed out at check in. Zacharys being one of them. This pool did have the bar and music playing but to be honest we had a pool to go to straight from our terrace and this was great for us. It had a small childrens pool which our 4 year old loved to be in and was safe. We found that nobody was up early to put towels on the loungers! This is a first! 10am and nobody had reserved a lounger! Its a small pool area but seemed to accommodate the guests in that immediate area well. Nobody was left without a lounger. There are two toilets next to the pool, a gents and a ladies. I took our daughter to the ladies a couple of times and it was spotlessly clean. Floor got a bit wet from going straight from the pool area but this was to be expected.There is not a bar at this pool but this didn't seem to bother anybody. It was that close to everybody's house that you nipped back, got a drink from your fridge and took it back to pool. I even saw guests taking cups of tea to their loungers! The feel of this area seemed like it had created its own little community.
Check out: we had a ridiculously timed flight back at 04.15 in the morning. One of the downsides of getting the cheapest flights possible. This wasn't a problem for reception. We booked a taxi transfer for 01.30am and reception booked that to pick us up at our house so we wouldn't have to make our way to reception ourselves with the luggage. The taxi then pulled up at reception so I could officially check out. Check out time is 10am but we were actually checking out earlier than that so we still had our accommodation.
Right now for the main reason we were here - the presentation.
Again as previously stated was bit unsure after reading reviews before went. We do have family members that are timeshare members so do know a bit about how they work.
We were picked up at 9.15 for a morning presentation by a lovely guy called Stuart. We had a lovely breakfast across at the Safari restaurant. Stuart then took us to the main head office on the complex for our presentation. It was a large air conditioned room with individual desks that each 'holiday consultant' took there guests too. (some previous comments said room was hot and stuffy etc, not sure what room they were in!). Stuart ran through details of the company
etc etc explained how CLC work. We DID NOT feel pressured into signing up for anything at any point during our presentation. Stuart took us to different areas of the complex to show us the type of accommodation we could be staying in if we were members of CLC world. These were great. We then went back and discussed further how it all works. Yes the time was going on and we did spend the best part of 6 hours but that is only because we were thorough and asking questions etc and we did have 2 kids with us! We also had our lunch there as well!Now for us the whole aspect of the CLC holiday seemed like something that would suit us. My husband is very particular about finances etc and was sat working lots of sums out! and as a result of this we did sign up to become members. Now some of the previous reviewers will be thinking what, why have they done that etc etc. I am always honest in my reviews and always tell it how it is. Previous reviewers have said they have been expected to pay £18k-£20k. We have not paid no where near this. Basically you pay, what you can afford not what they tell you it will cost. Also previous reviewers state that you purchase a weeks holiday(not sure if they understood it right). You purchase points. The amount of points you receive depends on the amount of monies that you can afford. As I have just said before we didn't pay what people thought they had to pay and we still received enough points to give us more than a weeks holiday a year. For the first three years we will also receive bonus points added to our allocation. It all works on how you use your points to get the best holidays you can. If you don't use all your points for that particular year then they get carried over to the following year. We are not going away again this year so our points for this year added to next years will allow us to have 3 or 4 weeks holiday if we wish next year. There is also promotional offers for members where you can get for example 50% off(points) certain holidays, if you can work around these offers the you will save even more points. You are also not restricted or given a set week etc like some other timeshare companies. You can holiday at any time in the year, you are not restricted in anyway. You can also upgrade your points at anytime depending on if you can afford to do this. When you sign up you become a 'Fractional' member. Basically the money you pay for your points is allocated to a part of a property. Unlike some of the other timeshare companies where you don't get anything out of it at the end, you get some of your finances back at the end of the term when they sell the property. Its not an investment as you will not get the full amount back but you will get a fraction of your monies paid back. After reading some of the previous reviews I think some people don't quite understand how it works and think they get as a fractional member 1 weeks holiday out of 52 and that they are paying a lot of money for 1 weeks holiday.
I have tried to explain it best I can in simple terms. This type of holiday may not be for you but if it is then have a think about it.
Sorry if it seems like I've gone on and on and on.......Lol........but I do try to give a thorough review to give you as much information as possible.
Please look at my photos so you can see for yourself the type of accommodation we were in and the views of the complex etc.
Any questions please ask.
Many thanks to all staff from CLC world inc the marketing team, to staff on resort, to Stuart and David. Our promotional holiday exceeded our initial expectations.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
17  Thank Thefarugas
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at CLC Club La Costa World, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were very pleased to see that you enjoyed both the resort and your accommodation and it was nice to see that you experienced some of the family atmosphere that can be generated by our guests, many of whom have been regular visitors over a number of years. As you have experienced, our presentations give us the opportunity to explore with guests whether the holiday options we have to offer may suit their needs. We recognise it's an important decision and we aim to make our presentations friendly, informative and interesting, and of course recognise that this does take time. It's very important to us that guests ask as many questions as they want about how our product will work for them before joining a company of nearly 30 years standing, with more than 50,000 members who can use their points and take up special offers to enjoy holidays around the world. We are delighted that you have chosen to become a member of the CLC World family and I have passed on your kind comments to the staff in our marketing department and elsewhere on the resort. We wish you well on your future holidays and please do not hesitate to contact member services for any guidance or assistance you may require.
Resort Manager, Costa del Sol

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mijas
Muthu Grangefield Oasis Club
TRH Mijas
TRH Mijas
#4 of 27 in Mijas
Los Amigos Beach Club

Been to CLC Club La Costa World? Share your experiences!