“Disapointment” 2 of 5 bubbles

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Disapointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Heritage MatchRoom Mijas-Costa Malaga 09/03/13

The air passage from Gatwick to Malaga was excellent as also was the excellent train journey from Malaga to Fuengirola, so easy....then travelled by taxi to our hotel.

We found our apartment, which seemed ok...a bit dated and not a gold star, 2 bathrooms....I have had surgery on my back, so looking at all of those stairs was a little daunting. Shower head in the shower room required attention and we were going to mention it on Sunday. The apartment was very cold, draft through the windows, only 1 of the 2 rads operated.... Had to put cardigans on & extra blankets over our feet whist watching a bulky TV in the evening on an uncomfortable sofa. TV channels were terrible BBC1, ITV, SKY News and a French? Station. From 20:00 we received SKY Disney....

You defiantly need a car, no shop on site, Bar/restaurant only opens 5 days per week, chips with most dishes, I looked at the menu and it didn’t inspire me. We didn’t have a car and had to walk 30 minutes plus along the side of a very busy road (no pavements) to an Aldi to buy supplies. There’s 2 days of free buses, Mon & Fri: 10 & 11:00, then back from Feungirola @ 1:20. Maximum people – 6, prebookable.

On Sunday I had a shower in the main Bathroom, started of fine, applied the shampoo onto my hair and the water ran COLD, had to rinse off with FREEZING water. Phoned reception and the maintenance man came with a screw driver and rectified it...after 1 hour the m/man came back & the water had heater up, then my partner had his shower. We washed up in the evening & the water was hot.

So on Monday I got up with the bus in mind..ran the water AND surprise surprise IT WAS COLD, I wasn’t a happy bunny. Couldn’t phone reception as it didn’t open till 9:30. So by the time we’d had a hot shower the bus would have left.
We complained and we had the option of the M/man stripping down the water tank or move..Which we did. The new apartment was far superior although needed up dating. But on the second floor, so I had difficulty in going up the stairs as there is not a reliable stair rail. With repacking then unpacking, having a shower most of the day had passed.
We went down to the hot tub & sauna, it was freezing in the area, so we didn’t bother..

The rest of the week was passable, although the weather didn’t help and the fact that we couldn’t walk out in the evenings due to our safety.

Weather wise – Sat/Sun showers, Mon Ok, Tues torrential rain most of the day, Wed/Thurs OK. Fri sunny, Sat rain, but that was the day we were travelling home. Yipee!

I WON’T BE RETURNING.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Alice S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I don't like giving poor reviews, so I waited a week after I left before writing this one. Unfortunately it didn't really get any better in my mind, so here goes.

Finding the place is a bit of a challenge, as the GPS sent me to the golf course itself. Once I got to the resort, I realized that no matter what I wanted to do, there would be stairs involved. I have an arthritic hip, so struggle with stairs. When I booked, I specified no or few stairs, but evidently the message didn't make its way through the chain.

On the outside, the resort looks idyllic, but once inside the apartments, it's filled with dated, not particularly comfortable furniture. The unit was quite large and very drafty. There were two space heaters, but they had very little effect. There was a significant draft from the balcony window, but the only place you could get wireless was by sitting as close to the drafty window as possible. Very frustrating. I spent my time under a blanket on the sofa, working or watching TV. (How cold was it? So cold that 24 hours after washing my clothes, they didn't dry. I had to put a space heater into a bedroom and close the door.)

Wireless isn't the only amenity that's old-school; they haven't discovered flat-screen TVs, either. The one in the living room isn't particularly large, and the one in the master bedroom didn't work at all. There was a heating system in the bedroom, but figuring out the remote control meant that I couldn't really get it to work properly.

The restaurant serves so-so English-style food, for the most part, which is likely what their mostly geriatric visitors want. (I say mostly geriatric because I only saw one pimply teenager there with his grandparents - everyone else seemed 60 and over.) One night I ate in the dining room and had "lasagna" which was more like meat sauce topped with bechamel sauce and a square of pasta. The second night I just ordered a starter of squid and chorizo, and it was pretty good. There is a happy hour with half-price drinks. I went one day, along with two other couples, one of whom talked on the phone, and the other which watched a loud soccer game in the lounge. So I played with my iPad, because in the bar, my paid wireless worked better than in the unit. (When I emailed the wireless provider about the uneven signal, they blamed it on the rain - but as we're not talking satellite signals here, I have no idea why they'd use such a lame excuse.)

One day I went to the hot tub, which was cool, and shooting cold water from the jets. The "oh, the electricity must be off" response wasn't what I expected to hear; I never went back.

I had to lave the resort for a couple of days, and I returned to find the entire resort absolutely pitch black. A transformer had blown across the road, which is beyond the control of the resort, but it left me in the position of having to feel my way down an uneven pathway to find my unit (thank goodness for raised unit number signs - I read them like Braille), only to discover that my key wouldn't let me in. I tapped my way back to the office and got someone from the office to let me in with a key. But then, the toilet in the ensuite bathroom broke, and wouldn't stop running. I felt my way along the path to the office, only to discover that the office had closed, and because of the lack of light, there was no way to read an emergency number (if there was one). There were no backup generators, and it felt like the staff just abandoned the guests. The next morning, the lights were back on, and during check-out, no apologies were offered, no compensation for the inconvenience, etc. Very disappointing. (I just just come from a 4-star hotel, so the drop in service was particularly noticeable.) Oh, and when the cleaning staff saw me struggling up the path with my suitcases, they stoically ignored me. Definitely not what I'm used to.

I realize the weather and power outage was beyond their control, and am not faulting them for that. It's more the lack of response. In general, the staff was friendly and helpful, so I can't complain about them as individuals. It's more the .... I don't know...culture? corporate policies?

I don't know if I'd go back - at least not until I turn 70.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a nicer view, but it's all stairs so keep that in mind.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank rahelab
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Clean, quiet well manicured, slightly dated. Staff was friendly. The only thing that I thought was incredibly dirty was the AC/heating units built into the walls, gummed up with years of dust and smelled when you turned them on, thankfully we did not require AC because we went in March. The internet is not free, 8 Euros a day or 28 Euros a week the connection is sloooow and you get frequent dc's not worth it...should be included for free. Other then that was a pleasant stay. You will need a car to get anywhere.

Room Tip: Don't trust the in house safes, they can be open with a regular screwdriver in about 7 seconds!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 0rbis25
Elgin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks in February. Its location requires a car for getting about the area as the public transport was a few kilometres away in Fuengirola. The complex was very quiet and the main pool was closed for repairs. Views and sunsets from the balcony were very fine. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The apartment was reasonably well equipped but televisions and bathrooms were tired and require replacement/refurbishment. The clothes washing machine worked (just). Bar meals were excellent and very reasonably priced. If returning to Fuengirola I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank easthigh
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

fantastic apartment looking over the mountains and los lagos golf club. We really enjoyed our stay! .It has beautiful gardens and pools . The indoor heated pool sauna and jacuzzi were very relaxing. The food at the club house restaurant was very good and the waiters were incredibly friendly. The children really enjoyed the flamenco show.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Flannelle
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

As a group of golfers we have now stayed at the Matchroom three times in the past few years.
This is an RCI timeshare swap, all in all, a very good one in November. Each time we have stayed in one of the 3 b/room apartments, different ones, all good, clean, well maintained, with a view over the Mijas Lagos golf course and right next to the lower pool. We have rarely used the restaurant, but on the occasions we have, it is perfectly acceptable. The bar area is good, as is the beer.. The snooker room is very good, very under-used in November, which is a bonus. The pool/sauna and jacuzzi are much appreciated, after a hard day on the local courses (we walk!).
It takes a lot of courage to use the garage, the steepest slope ever seen, but once down there, it is handy for the apartment and very empty. The outside pools are usable, even in November, but not heated, it would appear. You need a car, as already stated. there are a couple a restaurants outside the complex, within easy walking distance (10 mins) La Morena ? near the motorway bridge, is excellent, as is El Golf, which is equally good, but considerably more expensive.
So, in conclusion, I'd say that the Matchroom is a great place to use as a base, to explore the local sites, like Mijas, Marbella, Puerto Banus and Gibraltar. Granada is do-able in a day. Last time we visited Seville, but best to stay there overnight, as it is a 2-3 hour drive.

Room Tip: The 3 b/room apartments have a view over the golf course.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Northumberland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

We have two weeks at the Four Seasons in Vilamoura so used an exchange week to try somewhere different. Matchroom is a nice resort set in well kept grounds. It is essential that you hire a car as there are no supermarkets within walking distance and only really the El Golf restaurant to eat at if you don't want to drive anywhere. Taxis are expensive . If the weather is bad you will struggle to fill in your day if you are tied to the complex.( we had 4 days cloud / rain but luckily we had a car). Our appartment had two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Very clean and nicely furnished . I agree with other reviewers that the tv needs to be updated. Midweek cleaning was disappointing as on one occasion they only changed the towels and emptied the bins. The outdoor pool area was well maintained but the indoor pool was very uninviting , even in the rain! Happy hour was well attended and the live singer on Thursday evening was great. Didn't eat at the complex so can't comment on food. We ate every night at the Restaurant El Golf - excellent. Overall, this probably the best exchange we have had but not as good as Four Seasons Vilamoura.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends