“Ideal when staying at Los Amigos Beach Club” 4 of 5 bubbles

Las Casitas
Ranked #141 of 442 Restaurants in Mijas
Cuisines: Bar, Mediterranean, European, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Braunton, United Kingdom
“Ideal when staying at Los Amigos Beach Club”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

This restaurant is in the centre of Los Amigos Beach Club and serves food from breakfast time until late night-time when there is also live entertainment in the same area. We had one full English Breakfast and one lunch from the varied day-time menu, neither of which could be faulted. The food was hot, well cooked and as described on the menu. It was served efficiently by polite friendly staff.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Very good food, atrocious service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

We ate twice at Las Casitas and on both occasions there were problems - serious problems.

Let's do the good stuff first. Location is fine, slap bang in the middle of a DRI resort which is one of the best we've stayed at so the bar is already set. Given that you likely have to drive or get a taxi to anywhere in this location, having an onsite facility is a big draw.

Food quality and menu choice (for non-vegetarians) is excellent. Plenty to please the tastebuds and good to see more than meat and a handful of string fries as is often the case in this part of Spain.

Next, the menu is well priced for an on resort restaurant. Specials running at up to €16 is perfectly acceptable and they are changed every day, producing nice surprises like chorizo and spinach stuffed chicken breast, tempura king prawns with a piquant sauce, Argentinian rib eye steak with a black pepper crust. Yummy stuff.

Third, the way in which they assemble and present dishes is first rate. On this score they're punching above their weight. When they say the spinach is wilted it is. When they say 'mashed poato' they mean a smooth and well flavored mash.

Finally, food quality is certainly very acceptable. My steak on our second visit was cooked exactly to order and of high quality.

But...and this is where things go downhill very quickly, service aspects of this eatery leave much to be desired.

The wine menu is very short and unimaginative but then there is nothing above €20 which is VERY cheap for a restaurant. So...first problem - the wine and food menus are out of balance. We could not for example, get a decent Ribera del Duero to go with a steak.

Next - this is not a place for vegetarians. One choice only. But then being a vegetarian is also a choice and rarely well catered for in Spain unless you do your research well in advance.

But it is the service where everything goes pear shaped. First night we were offered bread - never arrived. Next, when we ordered carajillo (espresso with a small shot of brandy) we got Irish coffee. OK - so my Spanish is not up to snuff but I've been ordering this drink for eight years all over Spain without incident.

Then when we got the bill I was certain it was wrong and asked them to check it. The bill was much less than I expected. The waiter assured me it was correct and I paid then what they asked, leaving a generous tip as part compensation.

Next evening, we were told that it would be better to arrive 30 minutes later than we wished. "We're a bit busy at that time." OK - I can handle that. But when we arrived, the head waiter rushed over saying they'd undercharged us the previous evening. No hello, how are you etc. Just a straight up statement made as though it was our problem. "Sorry, but that's not my problem," I politely but firmly shot back.

We were then shown to our table. The place was busy and filling up but we then waited 10 minutes before anyone came to offer a drink and another 5 minutes before we saw a menu. By the time we saw our food we had been waiting an hour but that's our problem - how so?

The same surly waiter came over waving a time ticket insisting we had not been waiting as long as we had. Duh? At this point I said: "Food in five minutes or we're leaving." That got the astonishing response: "Are you threatening me?" At this point I'd had enough and said - again firmly but politely: "Not at all. I am simply telling you. I am not prepared to wait more than another five minutes when I've already waited close to an hour."

At this point food duly arrived and it was very good. But by that stage the evening had been ruined.

This is a terrible shame. Las Casitas could be so much better and it is all down to service. Heck, I'd even pay a bit more because the food is really good and the ambiance is certainly as good as you can expect from a a resort. Other reviewers have fared better but then having visited twice on successive evenings and had problems I am thinking this is a 'feature' of the current management. And to put it into perspective, one waiter told me that they are well down for August numbers but are well booked for September and October. That doesn't surprise given the overall state of the EU economy. Surely, that's the time when you double down on service?

The following day I asked at reception about Las Casitas ownership. It is a franchise operation. I believe what they really mean is that it is a leased operation as I don't know of other restaurants carrying that brand. Whatever the situation, it is a great pity that an otherwise top rate apartment complex is spoiled by a restaurant that delivers great food but falls wildly short on service.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“The place on the Costa del Sol !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Can't fault it. We have stayed for the last two weeks and its hom from home. Have been comimg to Los Amigos Beach Club on and off for 16 years and it just gets better.
This year the team have been outstanding, from Lynne, Georgia and co on breakfast and days to AJ and Danny on the pool bar, to Miguel and Jose and the evening team and all those whose names I don't know, I want to thank you all for the outstanding service and quality of food and drink.
Gordon and Lisa, this has been a long journey but you've Arrived !! Many thanks for making or visit special. Mark and Cath from Bolton. We will be back !!

• Visited August 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, very poor service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

Tried just once and although not full, the service left a bit to be desired.

Drinks: we ordered a beer and water (agua sin gas) ... only the beer arrived at first with the waiter asking, 'Just one drink' ... to which we replied 'no' and explained we had also ordered water. It then took 2 more visits back to the table before the water arrived, as they came back to clarify if it was still or sparkling!

We then ordered the food: Chicken caesar salad and fried chicken with fries, asking for the coleslaw to be served separately. When the food arrived, the coleslaw was not separate!

Dessert: Tiramasu - I was offered cream or ice-cream with it, so I opted for cream ... it came with neither! My partner ordered ice-cream, after it was explained it was 3 scoops (chocolate, vanilla and strawberry) he asked for just 2 scoops of chocolate and 1 vanilla, as he did not like strawberry ... thankfully the strawberry flavour was omitted, however only 2 scoops!

The food that we had was lovely and based on that alone we would return, however, after such poor service and lack of listening skills or just taking the order down correctly, we would think twice before we visited again.

If you do decide to try Las Casitas just make sure they understand the order, as I'm sure the food will be lovely, as our was.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Malaga, Spain
“great food great entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

We spent a Wednesday evening at Las Casitas with 4 friends, the food was great the portions were huge, a choice of A la Carte or a set menu both full of great choices, the entertainment was super, and even though the restaurant was'nt full there was a great atmosphere, really friendly staff, they have entertainment every night I would recommend Las Casitas if you want good food and live music during the week, very good value as well.

• Visited September 2012