“No hidden secrets - a lovely Oasis away from the craziness of Fuengirola!”

ILUNION Hacienda del Sol
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Mijas
Newcastle upon Tyne
“No hidden secrets - a lovely Oasis away from the craziness of Fuengirola!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

I did quite a bit of research into this hotel as soon as the holiday was booked and really it's exactly as the photos depicted and I'm happy to say I can't agree with the disappointing reviews, I can only think the reviewers were having a bad day! The hotel is immaculate from the reception area which is extremely plush, to the rooms to the pool area! The staff are very helpful (some more than others, but it was rather amusing to witness the waitress who had a tendency to throw things onto the table such as dishes, cups etc!!)
Initially I was disappointed with the room as it was Ground Floor and had full bars the length of the window but it overlooked the pool and after just one night I realised that I wasn't there to spend the holiday in my room so although I asked if we could be moved I decided against this in the end - it was actually perfect to check out the pool in the morning and also no stairs to climb (lazyitis hits as soon as I get off the plane!) We also had a secret stairway to the pool right next to the room (108) so we were out very quickly in the morning!
All staff worked extremely hard to maintain the hotel & grounds and this was obvious. The dining room and terrace were great and very large. The food choices were exceptional, it's no surprise I've put on weight and there was no issue with flies as one reviewer pointed out. Of course you're going to get a few flies on the terrace as it's outdoors but there was no flies hovering around the food indoors!
You had a to wait a bit sometimes to get served at the bar but this is an AI hotel mainly and it was an extremely busy week so I think the staff did really well considering! I waited no more than 6 minutes which in the circumstances was more than acceptable!
My biggest bugbear was nothing to do with the hotel and I don't blame them at all but the reserving of sun beds around the pool was beyond a joke. No word of a lie when I say there were towels put on beds at 6am!!! And the people mainly responsible were the Brits! I refused originally to get drawn into the whole reservation thing but you really had no option but I think if I went again I'd just take the towels off. People have no right to these beds! I'm going to name and shame one family in the hope that they read this and Alison L would agree with me on this one. They were a family of 3 from the Liverpool area, dad with a beard, mum with blonde hair and their late teens/early twenties daughter who had their blue hotel towel out on the beds in the corner of the pool every morning at 7am but never came out to use them until at least 3pm EVERY DAY!!!! They all placed their books perfectly on top of their towels (the mum was reading One Day, the dad was reading Treachery or something like that although I'm surprised they read any of the books the amount of time they spent with them!!) By the 5th day I was totally fed up that they were so selfish when others were having to lay their towels on the ground so Alison L and her family and I decided to remove their towels! Yes, it was us and we don't care you selfish selfish people!! So, all I will say is if you have the guts get removing those towels - no one has the right to reserve a sunbed and reserving and not using it all day is just damn right rude!
I honestly don't think it's the hotels responsibility to police this - we have to take it upon ourselves and in future I won't hesitate to remove towels if someone is blatantly not using it!
Anyway, back to the hotel - fab food, fab staff, rooms very big and great wet room style bathroom (no bath but not necessary!) cleaned every day to a high standard!
Entertainment was er.. interesting! Everything started about 10pm so you wouldn't pick this hotel if you want an early night and your room looks onto the terrace! The flamenco dancers were great, the cocktail maker was amusing and the karaoke man on the last night (Sunday) was great as he engaged everyone in English and Spanish! Sadly the karaoke man on 1st night (Monday) was awful, he spoke no English so he only engaged with the Spanish kids & we were subjected to basically an hour of 4 Spanish kids belting out songs terribly! He also loved playing his keyboard but like I said, it was all highly amusing so no issues with that!
We only left the hotel for one evening to go up to the beautiful town of Mijas! You HAVE to visit Mijas, it's stunning and the views are stunning too. It's only 10 mins by bus, just don't trust the bus timetables - basically just wait and the bus will come eventually!
I didn't miss the beach at all which surprised me but as we travelled through Fuengirola on the transfer bus I could see that I wasn't missing out on much!
The hotel was a real mix of nationalities - there were quite a few kids the week we were there but they were pretty well behaved (the French kids being the worst!!)
The pool is definitely not Olympic size but it's very big compared to other hotel pools!
Yes, you have to go to Mijas or Fuengirola for shops or bars as there is very little near the hotel but I was here to chill, not to shop or do a bar crawl!
Overall, it was a really beautiful typically Andalucian style hotel & I had a very relaxing week! Would def go back if I wasn't the type of person who wanted to try different places each holiday! :)

Room Tip: 108 was on the ground floor so no stairs and it was close to the 'secret' stairs to the pool...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank naomi-a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel with my husband and three children aged 21, 17, 14. The hotel is everything and more that the brochure says. Rooms with a view and very spacious, beds extremely comfortable which can be a rarity these days. We had half board and the food was excellent with a great choice for breakfast, from fruit, cereal, full english, toast, crossaints/cakes and the food at night was 2nd to none. Soup, salads in abundance, 5 mains to choose from, ice cream and a variety of sweet treats to choose from. Drinks were reasonably priced too. Staff very helpful. Very clean pools although you do have to reserve your sun beds but believe this is what you do anywhere in spain. The palm trees and scenery from the hotel could have been anywhere in the world, it was just so beautiful. Catch the local bus just outside the hotel to Mijas a beautiful little town in the hills and well worth a visit or Fuengirola which was more touristy. Visited the aqua park too which was a great hit with our youngest. Entertainment on most evenings from Belly dancers, flamenco dancers and a bit of a jive too. Met some lovely people on holiday and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Definately worth a visit.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed nice, on one side you get a balcony overlooking the pools and the other side yo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ALISON L
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Enjoyable holiday location. Nice and quiet which is what we wanted. Not dominated by the Brits (even though I an one) which was also nice for a change. This is a low key type location with friendly staff and nice atmosphere, well worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank xyz63Uk
tenerife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

stayed at this hotel for 5 days, and it was fantastic, food amazing, drinks plentiful, we did all inclusive with a wide range of wines beers cocktails all included, food was fantastic with a great selection at every meal time, rooms very clean and air con was well needed, lovely views from the hotel, we travelled up into mijas which is gorgeous, very easy to get too from the bus stop outside the hotel, I would def go back to this hotel

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dell22
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband and I took our 20 month old son for his first holiday abroad to this hotel on the 28th July for 14nights. We stayed on the all inclusive basis.
Hotel- perfect for couples or families. A high standard of cleanliness upheld throughout the hotel and grounds. The reception staff very friendly and welcoming and keen to help out with enquiries, taxis, bus timetables etc.
The staff, aside from the lovely andulucian warm weather, make this hotel. They were always so helpful and friendly and we got to know a few quite well in our two weeks there. A special mention to Cesar, he is so sweet and kind and his English is remarkable! Sergio who appeared to only be around at dinner time is a lovely man who was helpful, quick and always happy. All the staff doted on our little boy and he absolutely loved the attention. The pools were kept clean and adequately sized for the amount of guests. The sun beds have to be reserved, as others have reported, but I have never been to a hotel where this is not the case! The food was always fresh and hot regardless of how late you rolled in! We loved the food, the salads the fresh fish and meat dishes that were available at both lunch and dinner. Plenty for my little one to eat too. Fresh fruit and yummy puddings every day. Snack bar round the pool had ice creams crisis and nuts available for all inclusive guests. You could order from the snack bar menu when the lunch and dinner buffet was closed, we had a couple of very lovely burgers from there served with fresh salad.
The rooms were newly decorated and furnished. Lots of space, lovely bathroom and the air con worked a treat. My husband was actually cold during the night!
The town of mijas is a must see, very pretty and traditionally Spanish. Fuengirola ok, just a short cheap bus ride away but a bit like Blackpool! Loads to do there if you like that sort of thing. Or instead jump on a cheap train at fuengirola and head to benalamadena for the day.
Wouldn't hesitate to return! Love the hacienda puerto del sol!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Kiwifruit86
Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Our first trip to mainland Spain, what a treat! Hotel located on main road towards Mijas in a quiet area. Train from Malaga airport to Fuengirola- 2.65 Euros single (35 mins) and taxi 11 Euros to hotel (8 mins). We were all-inclusive and had room on the west side of the hotel ground floor which reflected what we paid - excellent value for money, didn’t miss the coveted sea view or balcony at all. The hotel felt like traditional Spain, was spotlessly clean and all the staff were really helpful. Our room: large single beds pushed together, comfortable mattress, hard pillows, spacious, air-conditioning quiet and worked well, TV had Sky news. Additional inner door meant we had no noise from corridor so we were guaranteed peace. Bathroom with bidet cleaned daily. Pool was good size and temperature. The restaurant area seemed well organised so no queues or rush for food and buffet (always hot) was well stocked right to the end of the service period. Nice choice at mealtimes, loved the fresh salads. We enjoyed being in a hotel with mainly Spanish people and there was a lovely atmosphere in the hotel. Perfect for a relaxing holiday. If you go, don’t miss Mijas which is a beautiful village. We’d love to go back and explore the area further and would return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook entertainment area which goes on to near midnight.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LM_2014_a
singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel is brilliantly located on the road to Mijas, brilliant because the location is quiet and yet you can get down to Fuengirola or up to Mijas in 10mins. The scenery is beautiful, the rooms are comfortable and well equipped, the food is good and evening entertainment on hand If you don't want to go out. All this at a reasonable room rate. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mulika01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mijas
TRH Mijas
El Oceano Beach Hotel
Eurostars Mijas Golf & Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron
Hotel & Spa Benalmadena Palace

Been to ILUNION Hacienda del Sol? Share your experiences!