“Understaffed and no cutlery supplied”

Eurostars Mijas Golf & Spa
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Mijas
Reviewed 26 October 2013

No Kettle , No iron , no utensils .

Knives and forks have to be bought ( unbelievable but true )

I have never stayed in a 4 Star pace that never supplied cutlery etc unless you paid more

Staff unhelpful

To sum up don't book here or be prepared for 2 star service

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Michael M

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Just back from it, had a really nice break there, staff really friendly and helpful, spotless, lovely apartments, lovely kitchen with dishwasher bed very comfy, large balcony.
Only 2 bad points : the flat had no kitchen set (cutlery, plates, glasses...) if you want it you will have to pay 15 euros extra. And the spa timetable was wrong (says open from 5 to 9pm everyday, but we found it closed sunday monday tuesday), but must be because we were not in the high touristic season.
About 40 min from Malaga city centre, lovely beaches around, particularly in Torremolinos which is 20 min from the hotel. We also had a day trip to Gibraltar which is 1h30 min from hotel.
The weather was amazing for middle of october 25 to 30 degrees. If only I could live there !
Would surely recommend this hotel. Loved it.
I wish I could be there still.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor to get a great view on the golf, mountain and the sea.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I can only say that this hotel is Fabulous, How any one can complain i will never know. The staff were friendly and helpful. All the rooms are suites with a lovely bedroom with king size bed, kitchen area with fridge hob, sink, microwave, sitting room with modern flat screen T.V and the bathroom was very spacious and modern.

You do need a car as it is a 15 minute drive from the coast and there are no Bars, Restaurants, or shops near the hotel, The hotel Bar/Restaurant only opens at night from 8pm to 11pm

There is free use of two computers in the reception area and also free wifi in the rooms. If you book online direct with the hotel you also get Free enclosed parking and you can have a Free glass of cava in the Bar between 8pm & 11pm on the day you arrive. The whole hotel is clean and very modern and is perfect for a short break.

The only downside is that there is no kettle, or toaster and you have to pay 15 euros for a box of kitchen equipment which has cups, wine glasses and cutlery should you wish to eat in the room or you could take your own. See photos attached.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Spent a week here with my family, husband 3 kids! Read all the reviews and concerned before I went! Main concern was the pool as it is the essence of our holiday with kids! Reviews kept saying problems with pool beds not enough! So being a little concerned decide to e mail them direct to ask what there take on the lack of pool beds was! Received a clear precise e mail back with a few days stating " hotel policy is we remove towels after 30 min and customers can collect them on there return" great my kinda policy! But.... That's just it no one to remove the towels! This hotel has huge potential the problem is the team running it! Ask reception a question or direction to a beach or restaurant and they give you one sentence " you know the round about at Macdonalds" in fact one day I asked for a good restaurant and reception said " I don't know". The reception seem ill equipped with advice of surrounding area considering the area is out in the sticks a bit! Twice I asked to see the manager and was told, he only comes on a Monday or there front desk manger is in on tues it was fri, could nt be bothered! There is the problem, no one is managing this hotel so the extras are nt there, the team is sloppy and the hotel gets neglected! Pool is such a shame 2 years ago it would have been lovely but sadly no one is maintaining it! Piece s of wood from fence loose or missing, grass hideously baldy brown and mud patches, lights at night in pool one side work other dose nt, yesterday's cups glasses napkins ice cream papers all around the pool no one cleaning the area! Beds all over the place instead of laid out in a orderly manner for the following day! Yes there's a life guard but clearly not a pool boy , he simply tans himself and watches the pool! My room shower broke, cupboard door hanging off, cushions in balcony worn and torn, corridors there was plaster coming away and desperate need of a paint! Any glass balcony s, glass front door, lift glass, sliding glass doors always filthy with finger prints no pride taken in the building! Basically this hotel is let down by the little things, yes bed clean, clean towels, staff smile, breakfast well organised huge selection reception ran well check in check out, all the things that are standard seem to be ok, it's the finishes around the hotel that are lazy uncared for and unattended! Thus hotel lacks a team wirh pride and branding. This hotel needs a constant manager walking the hotel making them-self know to staff and customers! Regularly checking and correcting the little things that sadly become big things when your seeing them every day! Biggest let down is how bad the pool area, staff and maintenance of the pool is. Let's face it that's that the core of any sunshine holiday when the beach is a 15 min drive away and the hotel need to take into account there is no beach so all you have is the pool! Yes it is out the way but thank god! It's away from traditional Spain high rises and main road/motorway s! It is worth being out in mijas mountains for the views and tranquility! Yes you need a car and you need to drive into mijas town each evening but well worth it as again this is unspoilt Spain not to missed! This hotel is situated in a essence of luxury, private villas and golf course s, shame is the hotel is not luxury but only needs the basics of care to turn it into luxury! This hotel is missing the point and a huge market as it is the only hotel in the area, no competition perhaps that's is what's needed for this team to pull there socks up! Would I go again..... I have given my concerns to the hotel management if i was guaranteed there would be these un costly and basic easy changes made, then yes I would! Tho I ll be surprised at this standard if this hotel will still be there for me to reebok in the next 5 years. Has I say I m not pointing out thousands of pounds worth of repair or maintenance but simply a good gardener pool boy and
maintenance team! Food at breakfast lovely huge choice pool bar and bar really cheap and yes lose the 15 euro kitchen equipment no one dose it and most just take cups and glasses from breakfast and I just asked for a pan! Car hire is cheap and use a I phone or map and you ll find mijas pueblo town well sign posted and easy to get to!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank 1help
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is an odd hotel, it is not a golf hotel as it hasn't got a golf course, its not a family holiday hotel as its got a minute pool with insufficient sun beds, its not a business hotel and its certainly no great spa hotel neither. I am just not sure what market it is aiming for and it is in the middle of nowhere. We booked a 2 bed self catering room - and thank goodness I read BABunny's review as I was prepared - there is no kettle, no toaster and no bottle opener! There were 3 of us in our group and we were given (well, we had to pay 15 euros) for a box of equipment with only 2 cups and 2 wine glasses! On the plus side the rooms are quite big and are cleaned everyday which is nice, the balconies are also large. On the downside a car is essential especially if travelling with children - there is nothing for them to do, the pool is too small to be interesting for very long! The golf course is approx 3km away down a steep hill, I would have gone stir crazy if we'd not had a car. Other than the hotels own bar and restaurant which we didn't try there is only one little bar/restaurant in the immediate area - which didn't look great so we went to MIjas old town most nights but this was a 15 minute drive away. There is a small supermarket next to the bar/restaurant but Tesco it isn't! You have to reserve your fresh bread the day before otherwise there will be none left by midday the next day! In summary, ok for a short break but be prepared to drive....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We booked 1 bed and got a 2 bed. Room 406 recommend for afternoon sun and views of golf courses.

Very clean all the way through and plenty of towels. Simple but effective furniture and very comfortable beds. Housekeeping come daily to change soiled towels , empty all bins and made the beds. Nothing else.

The kitchen - There is a two ring hob (very efficient) and comination oven, 2mins 30sec for full grill to toast each side of a piece of bread) slimline dishwasher, fridge with freezer compartment with ice trays. Then nothing else....and I mean nothing! we paid €15 for a pack which gave us 2 glasses 2 wine glasses two plates, dishes side plates cups and saucers pasta pan, fry pan, small pan strainer and cutlrey. Missing items can opener and wine/bottle opener....but we managed ...I was a girl guide!! I pushed the cork in with a knife and used the groove in the work surface to open a bottle of beer!

Having learnt from previous self catering experiences I always travel with a thermos coffee cup mug, a loo roll a kitchen roll, a washing up sponge and a super cloth, salt and pepper sachets, uncle bens microwave rice, cupa soups tea bags, coffee powder and sugar....so glad I did...

Next time my list will include ...dishwasher tabs, washing up liquid and Swiss army knife.

Water for teas we boiled in pasta pan with lid on..that was faster than boiling a kettle (if we had of had one!)

We bought groceries from Aldi the first time ( you will pass Aldi about 1km before you turn into the Golf resort. Or if you leave the resort you will find a Lidl and iceland near Mirmar complexes.) Miramar is back the roundabout you exited at the A7 to get to the golf resort and turn left.

We bought everything we needed from these two stores. We made breakfast in our room, ate out for lunch in one of the villages or beach areas along the A7 motorway and then made an evening snack in our room.

We used a hand towel for a draining board and another for a pot cloth. Couldn't be bothered buying a big box of dishwasher tabs for the two of us.

The hotel amenities are poor. The food we were served in the bar area was ok but not as described. garlic prawns with white asparagus looked more like a heavy mushroom omelette with a token prawn. €15 for the three courses. If I had to eat here again I would have ordered one full set meal and shared it between the two of us...the portions for the three courses were enormous. French salad, beef stroganoff and melon for dessert was my meal and it was very tasty. Basic and quite boil in the bag but tasty all the same.

We had no problems getting sun loungers but you have to be quick. If you can't beat them join them and claim a bed with your beach towel that you must take with you. We were reserving beds at 9.30ish. Better than in egypt where we had to abseil down the balconies to claim beds by 6am

The pools were clean and refreshing. We spent most of our time in the children's pool laid out taking the rays.

The grass could do wo some attention as it is very patchy. A bit of AstroTurf wouldnt go a miss. At times I could get a waft of cat pooh but could never find any.

The snack bar only opened on the weekends whilst we were there and was to remain open everyday there after for the season. We didn't use it.

Tv stations were rubbish - we could only find 1 English speaking channel which was Discovery Max which was endless rounds of 'hows it made' I am now very educated on just about everything from contact lenses to crush'ems yogurt pots. Thank the lord I pre loaded my iPad with sky go stuff.

Late afternoons we would sit of the balcony over looking the street and views of the golf course with a tinto verano (red wine and limon soda) tons of ice and soaking up the late afternoon sun..we got a better tan from that session than sweating it out by the pool. (at Aldi buy the unlabelled red wine bottles at 65 cents a bottle and mix with their own large bottle of limon soda) tried and tested and that mixes the best tinto verano.

We went to the restaurant by the entrance of the hotel.

NOTE Only open from 7pm to 11pm and closed all day Tuesday.

Friendly it is not. It's a basic taverna and the drink being served all were sourced from Lidl !!! The service was soooooooo sloooooow...from arriving to ordering 20 minutes, they never asked us if we wanted more drinks. After a further 30 mins our prawns pil pil arrived ( very nice) 40 minutes after our starter plates were taken away our main course arrived. Again...huge portions. We had pork with green pepper corn sauce with jacket potatoes..3 thick loin cuts of pork and 2 baked potatoes!! We should have shared it. We both pack the extra pounds but it beat both of us. Half of it went back to the kitchen as we were too full. They did offer a €14 set three course menu and that looked good.

If you didn't hire a car and decided you wanted one, Mano the guy who owns the orange management office next to the supermarket and restaurant can arrange one for you.

We think a car is a must if you want to get out and about.

We have enjoyed our time here and we are talking about coming back. For a week we have coped very well and enjoyed the surroundings.

Free wifi - downside though is that it logs you out after 5 minutes of inactivity. Vouchers are given at reception. One voucher per device. We had 5 devises and were given 5 vouchers.
Free on road parking
No help with bags to your room (but never like my bags out of my sight anyhow)
Very few English people.

For the £320 for the two of us for the week (accommodation only) booked through hotels4u.com we feel it's been a fabulous bargain and if you look at the places I normally stay at I think that could be a good balance of opinion. (our original accommodation fell through at the last minute and we wanted to be in this area due to other commitments made before we travelled.

Room Tip: 404 405 406 407 or the same numbers on the 5th floor. Wonderfull views and late afternoon sun.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank BABunny
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Generally, NIce rooms. Low standard facilities. Not enough sunbeds for a half filled hotel. Overpriced average 'looking' food. Free wifi though.
I am 8 months pregnant and my husband booked this hotel for 2 nights as a treat for me at the end of our normal week holiday in a villa. We wanted a bit of luxury before the baby came. We booked a suite with a terrace as we have a 4 year old. We paid an extra 10 pounds a night for a second bedroom for our son and rang ahead for a space in the garage as we had a car full or stuff we wanted to leave in it...safely/6e a day. There were plenty of spaces in the garage although some spots are a little tight. There is parking available on the roads leading up to the hotel if you don't want to pay for a space in the garage. its on the Coin road inland from Fuengirola. About 5-10 mins drive from Fuengirola depending on which part you go to/come from.
Upon arrival:Nice reception. Walkways between reception , pool, lifts areas are run down and look terrible. Our room was lovely. We had a small kitchen. Had to ring reception for all kitchen equipment and they wouldn't bring it to the room. we had to collect it. When i explained i couldn't carry it because i was so pregnant and husband wasn't around they gave me a suitcase trolly to wheel the box back to my room. They wanted it back straight away....yeah right!. By the way no one helped with baggage either. They don't have kettles here so had to boil water in a saucepan for tea. I didn't have any washing detergent left for washing dishes or tea towels. None of which were supplied. They do have a small dish washer so i had to use it with just water.
Our bedroom was really nice with a big kingsize comfy bed. Plenty of space. Large terrace. But door fell off wardrobe as i opened it. Our son's room was a twin. Nice clean linen and towels throughout, can;t fault cleaniness of rooms. The room service menu has 2 salads, a club sandwich, 1 pasta, 1 burger, 1 soup option, cheesecake, fruit dessert, all between 13-16 euros. Desserts are about 10e. A little pricey i think for quite standard hotel food. Didn't order from it but i wonder if i'd have to go a get that myself too???!! The pool bar is ok but sells those cellophane pack squashed sandwiches for 8 euros. So do as others do and bring your own snacks to the pool. I saw other families with 'macdonalds' bought for their kids and ate them with no trouble from anyone that i saw. It was obvious the hotel was half empty. Yet there weren't enough sunbeds or umbrellas for the customers there and im not one of those idiots that bags sun loungers at the crack of dawn. The pool is split into 2. A 0.4m round pool for the little ones, and a deeper up to 2m deep pool. NIce pools. Haven't tried the spa yet but hubby went for a run in the gym and the belt was loose on the tread mill that he had to hold onto the rails so as not to fall. I saw a nursery type place but no-one inside. The roman pool is only accessible via the spa and you have to pay for it. Restaurant looks very dull. Brightly lit. Flat pack style place. Nothing special at all considering this hotel is a 4 star, Restaurant not inviting at all so we went out. Have yet to check out the spa . This hotel is unfortunately like so many in Spain where they have high Star ratings which only indicates the type of facilities they have and unlike other country hotel standards does not represent the actual quality of those facilities. bit of a let down once i left my room. .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Phyllis C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mijas
Muthu Grangefield Oasis Club
VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol
#3 of 4 in La Cala de Mijas
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron
Crown Resorts Club Marbella / Club Regency Palms

Been to Eurostars Mijas Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!