“Lovely hotel ...BUT”

Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Mijas
HOUGHTON
“Lovely hotel ...BUT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2008

This was a second, 7 day, visit following a superb earlier stay (two weeks in August 2004). The hotel is still lovely in many ways: stylish Andalusian building, rooms very clean and comfortable, wonderful views from the lounge terrace, sheltered sunny pool area. However, since our first visit, the hotel has become a TRH group hotel and with negative results. Formally it seemed to be family owned and run - at least that was the impression. This time, staff seemed "disengaged" with guests; not unfriendly but not smiling and welcoming. Examples: a request for a parasol for a hot and sunny terrace was met with "No - not available!" Extra pillows took four requests. Breakfasts were OK to good (as in other reports, bacon and eggs "swimming" in oil but laying on napkins on plate soaked this up! Evening meals at hotel-buffet only- looked very limited so didn't try them. On previous DBB stay the meals had been wonderful - all freshly cooked. The outside pool bar and restaurant were not in use (perhaps because it was April) and this was a big miss.

However, would we stay at this hotel again? Yes because we liked the very quiet, stylish facilities and lovely setting. It would be too quiet for many people (as might the lovely village of Mijas) but it was a wonderful week for us. We got an excellent deal on hotel through Octopus (with Nectar points) so only paid £250 for 7 nights B&B - remarkable value! Good bus connections right at the hotel entrance enables easy visits to Benalmadena, Fuengirola and onwards.

There are plenty of good or great restaurants withing a very short walk. In Particular El Pueta (consistently excellent food with a very lively owner - Leo. We ate there on 4 evenings in a row (which is unusual for us) and would have had a fifth but they are closed on Thursdays. Fiesta was excellent on one night, OK the next. It may be better to give Olivars a miss: food OK or just OK and service...well it's the first time we have not left a tip!

• Liked — location, style
  • Disliked — no outside restuarant / bar pool staff (it was April but lpeople were using pool area)
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2008

I just got back from a week's holiday staying at the TRH Mijas hotel. On first impressions the hotel is lovely, beautiful surroundings and a wonderful swimming pool, but we made the mistake of booking half board and I have to say the food was awful. If you are happy with very bland and overcooked food then go half board but if not I reccomend bed and breakfast. The best thing about the dinner is the dessert which was clearly bought in and not cooked on the premises.

Secondly, we stayed overlooking the pool and the noise in the mornings from people leaving and arriving was awfulm the acoustics in the hotel are not very good and as a result I had a terrible nights sleep.

Finally, the hotel swimming pool which looks beautiful is freezing cold so enter at your peril.

On a good note, the hotel is in a nice location and is well maintained and reasonably priced.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Londongirl0_2

Travellers are raving about these Mijas hotels

cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2008

Having read scathing reviews after booking we were wary to say the least when we arrived .This was not helped when we could not be traced as booked on arrival ..The matter was soon sorted when it was discovered that my name was wrongly spelt. The rest of the week was good ,Food was good hotel food, self -service but plenty of variety.Staff were helpful and friendly.

• Liked — situation of hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2008

Beautiful Hotel in a wonderful location. If only the evening meals were better! Had read reviews before I went, but thought maybe people were being over fussy. They weren't. The food looks OK
but is very bland and tastless. Breakfasts OK but would recommend eating out in the evening. There are plenty of good restaurants in Mijas. Try the Fiesta which is almost opposite the Hotel on the way out of the village. Good food, reasonable prices.
Found staff polite and helpful. Our party all had constant problems with door keys and safes. Very irritating as the problems were constant.

• Liked — location and views
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed February 2008
1 Thank baguette-cut
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2007

I like nice hotels with good quality up to date rooms. Unfortunately, this hotel was due a refurbishment about 10 years ago and never got one. I stayed here for the weekend, picked it due to amazing location in a very beautiful village with amazing views of the coast. The hotel is situated as you drive into Mijas (after the petrol station) on the left hand side. There is hotel parking at 9 euros per day and i can see in summer this would be a good thing. However, in winter time I can see no need to have to use this facility as there is parking literally 50 metres away in parking bays.
I arrived at 9,30 after a long day. I found the sign for hotel parking as i approached the hotel in my hire car. As i usually follow the hotels signage I drove into an underground car park. The gate was open so i drove through as one normally would if the sign says hotel parking. Unfortunately, cars were double parked all over the shop and the main access around the car park was partly blocked by an inconsiderate driver. This was not addressed by the hotel as frankly they do not understand the term "guest relations" or customer care. So I ended up scratching my hire car trying to get through the space. I ended up leaving the car and going to reception.
What happened next was an unbelievable welcome to the hotel. I approached reception explained i had just arrived and I had scratched my car due to one of their guests. A delightfully rude man called Antonio barked at me"your room number" I again explained that i had no room number as i had just arrived. I was clearly distressed as never before have i damaged a hire car. Did he care. Bluntly no.... He then barked at me"how did you get into the garage"so i explained i followed the sign and drove through an open gate. He began to rant at this point and i could not believe i had arrived at a place where the customer is treated in such a way. He did not offer to look in the car park at the offending car, he asked me to go and get the registration number. Unbelievable..... I then decided to check in and ask him for the manager. He replied "no manager here" i asked if he could contact me on arrival. He replied "no, you come and see him"Wow what customer care you have. I~ promptly asked for the complaints book as it was advertised on the wall. he began to rant at me. Before this i didnt believe the other reviews about rude staff. He actually frightened me and he should not be working in the hotel business with his appalling attitude.
The reception is nice lovely views over the coast and this is the selling point of the hotel. The rooms were old fashioned. They had old furniture*(bit musky), basic bedding, flowery curtains and the air conditioning was set on hot only. ~i have stayed in this sort of hotel in other areas but this hotel is in dire need of tlc. The bathroom had cracked and broken tiles, but the good news is it was clean. I was lucky as i travelled in winter so i had got a good deal. This hotel is the only in the village and I think they know this and treat customers like dogs. They ended my card to the room on the 2nd day and i visited reception. They validated my card without asking my name. I could of been anyone. Would i stay here again. yes after i have had a satisfactory response from TRH group about the customer service skills of their staff being addressed, The village was lovely with lots of great restaurants. I did not eat in the hotel as i had heard the food horror stories.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff attitude
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank charlie_dog
West .Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2007

Very happy overall with Hotel Mijas.
Car parking at extra cost very welcome whilst reception quite friendly though battling with English, however not a drawback.

Views from room to coast fantastic whilst pool area well maintained even at this time of year.

Breakfast buffet most adequate however, bacon immersed in oil, not to our delight.

Made mistake of dining in for Buffet on first evening despite net warnings.

Try Tamisa Restaurant 50 metres up hill in same street or Fiesta down hill 50 metres in same street.

Would happily stay here again.

• Liked — views & pool
  • Disliked — Buffet
  • Stayed October 2007
2 Thank petanne
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2007

My fiancee and I recently spent a week in Spain situated in Mijas.
The hotel was generally good, the great views and the fact that it was quiet definitely one of the plus points.

We were disappointed with the gym and spa facilites though. The spa did not offer any treatments while we were there and the gym really needs to by updated and improved as there was only really a creaky bike and rower to use.

We sampled some great food in Mijas and every restaurant we went to was friendly and welcoming.Here are some recommendations of places to go:

Fiesta - a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Standard meat and fish fare but they do an outside BBQ which is delicious!
El Puerto - the friendliest owner 'Leo' is there. The food is tasty and very reasonable. We went back twice. Next door to Fiesta 5 mins from the hotel.
La Alcazabar- very expensive restaurant where you pay for the view. The food was fantastic, I had a very succulent steak in Malaga wine and the service was excellent.

• Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Thembi78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mijas
ILUNION Hacienda del Sol
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,173 reviews
Eurostars Mijas Golf & Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron
Los Amigos Beach Club

Been to TRH Mijas? Share your experiences!