“Best part was the tenniscourt!”
Review of TRH Mijas

TRH Mijas
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Mijas
As, Norway
“Best part was the tenniscourt!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were happy, and the view and the aircondition was nice. The staff was helpful, but missed minibar at this standard. We ordered one and paid for it, ok but strange at this standard. Wifi also, but we got more off so in a way it is good.

1 Thank Tonje s
563felixr, Gerente at TRH Mijas, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Tonje

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am very pleased to know that you had a nice stay and to read that the views, aircon and
our staff friendliness were up to your satisfaction.

Regarding your comment of the minibar I would like to confirm that your comments have been
passed on to the relevant management teams for their further internal handling.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

On reading previous reviews , management promise to take note of issues and it is about time they did. All talk and no action , it seems..
The Hotel is tired and dated and needs to changes in so many areas and aspects, it could almost be stuck in a 196O,s time warp. . Mijas Is lovely and so are the hotel grounds , but it stops there.
Our room was described as a lovely room but apart from the view and cleanliness, where do I begin? No wi fi, safe available but extra price! No water in rooms , no fridge ( extra cost ! ) one flat pillow , no waste bin etc etc.
breakfast buffet is unappetising , hard eggs, long queues for toaster
and coffee and do on, Pool area nice but sun beds are taken early
This Hotel can't fail as it has the location but, oh what a shame. Mijas deserves a better main Hotel which appreciates the great privilege it has to be here, sadly wasted on the TRH.
On the upside staff are friendly but give them the tools to do the job please...

Room Tip: Ask to see it first . Smoking seems to be everywhere at this hotel , clean air is not easy to find
563felixr, Gerente at TRH Mijas, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Mr Roller

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us.
I'm very sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations.
Please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

However, let give me the opportunity to explain our point of view concerning the issues you mentioned.

The Hotel furniture are spanish old style and we understand that are not on your liking.
It's true that the furniture of some rooms need to be renewed,(even if it does not want to say they are not functional) but let me tell you that we are in process of refurbishment, and some rooms have been already renovated.
We hope that all the rooms will be done in a soon future for the enjoyment of all our guests

In regards to the internet service, we do provide complimentary wifi service in the lobby of the Hotel. Due to the structure of the building is very difficult to give us a good wifi signal in all
rooms, but in any case our customers can check their e -mails and surf the web.

Concerning the safe deposit and the fridge in room, those facilities can be provided with a extra cost, a requirement that can be seen by everyone in the description of our hotel services.

I really appreciate that our staff friendliness and the cleanliness of the hotel were up to your satisfaction, be assured that I will pass on your comments to the team.

Regarding the issues you mentioned of the breakfast service, I can assure you that the matter
is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Many thanks again for your review, I can assure you that both positive and negative feedback is highly appreciated, as it shows us where we need to improve.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to TRH Mijas in the near future.

London
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Cannot decide whether to give this a 3 or 4, but considering the price (we paid EUR45 or so between two in Jan), I think it's a 4.

We have stayed at the TRH Mijas a couple of times for one night stays when passing through the area as it's bang in the middle of Mijas and there's free wifi. The hotel has definitely seen better days, but frankly it's clean, the equipment in the rooms works, beds are comfortable and you should be able to find something you can eat at breakfast even if the selection is very basic (at least that was the case off season). Reception staff are also helpful with guiding you to various amenities or sights you may want to find and will call someone to the bar/cafe if it is not staffed. If you're not expecting to spend a lot of time in the room, it's totally fine for the price. I am not sure this is somewhere you'd want to go for the once a year family holiday or a romantic break, but if you're with a big group, on business or literally need a place to crash for the night, the TRH Mijas certainly is adequate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view down the hill-side! This hotel sprawls on the hill right below Mijas, so...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gal1981
563felixr, Gerente at TRH Mijas, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear client

Thank you for taking the time to post your review!
It is so great to know that you've had a wonderful time while staying with us,
and that the service provided by the staff and the hotel's location was to your liking!

I truly hope we will have the chance to welcome you back at the TRH Mijas Hotel in the near future.

Kindest regards,
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel had a very gospel feel about it. It felt and looked dated. Check was good and on learning our stay was for one night, the receptionist was quick in pointing out on a map what's where etc..
Our room was ready on arrival at 1pm even though check in is from 2pm which was nice. When we arrived at our room the door was open and we just thought that the room had just been cleaned as we had checked in early but when we arrived back after our evening out the room had a definite smell of dirty water as if there had been a leak and the carpet was giving off many years of ground-in aromas! But as it was one night and we were tired we just crashed out!

Breakfast was disappointing. Was expecting better after reading reviews on here. It was unattended firstly and what was on offer was poor. Mini cocktail sausages, half burnt half raw looking streaky bacon and cardboard looking cereals! Seen it before but just didn't expect it here. Left breakfast very unsatisfied.

The pool was nice but no sunbeds so sat at the bar for our one day! We got an idea of the customer service skills of the bar man whilst we were sat there. Not the best! A lady in her late 60's approx ordered a tea which did not impress the bar man and was about to step inside with her cuppa, no doubt to chill and have a break from the sun and was shouted back before she could step inside and was told that the cup would be left inside and there would be no crockery for tomorrows tea??! Surely a simple - please return your cup if your taking it inside would've been a better solution!

So that was our stay really. It cost us £54 for a double room with breakfast for one night. The location it great for Mijas town and what a lovely town it is. But please don't book here for your weeks/fortnight annual holiday. For those who are just staying a night or two it's worth knowing that they provide a toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable razor/shaving cream and shampoo/body wash in rooms. Usefull if your packing hand luggage only!
Will try elsewhere when visiting Mijas next time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
563felixr, Gerente at TRH Mijas, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Mrs Rachel

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing with us your opinion and taking your time
to submit it to TripAdvisor.

I have read your review carefully and I appreciate your positive comments about reception department, early check in free of charge, amenities, good location and so on.

Mijas Hotel has a good reputation among our clients and this is the reason why the hotel
was fully booked during your stay. Many of them spend some days with us several times each year and even when they know that we might be fully booked, they choose our hotel for their holidays.
Our location, astonished views, good service and competitive hotel rates are some of the reasons why our clients keep on staying with us.

Unfortunately it is difficult to keep the same standards all year round,
and therefore we regret that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.
Please, accept our most sincere excuses for the inconveniences caused.

I can assure you that we will deal with the points raised by you with my team,
in order to correct those service failures and to improve those that you have found dissapointing.

Thanks again for your review and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back TRH Mijas and provide you with a genuine hassle free experience.

Kind Regards,
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We initially were looking to have a repeat stay in Malaga but a sale through Expedia of this hotel caught my eye, so we spent 4 nights at the Mijas hotel for a very reasonable price in a superior room.
There are mixed reviews for this hotel but I really liked the majority of things about it.
The decor is Spanish, antique, retro and feels warm and welcoming. Public areas are very nice, the terrace bar overlooking the coast, the pool is so nice we were out there late afternoon Untill 7-8pm.
Our room was a superior 2nd floor and overlooked the tennis courts and had a view down to fuengerola, peaceful, quiet, spacious, very clean. The beds however were so hard, back ache was a problem and this is the only reason we would not stay again.
Breakfast was included and was adequate, mix of hot cold buffet. We did give the Sunday morning a miss though, it was very busy at the weekend and queues, we went 3 minutes up the road for a peaceful croissant and coffee.
The staff are helpful and friendly and seem to be very busy. We rented pool towels for 15 euros and got back at the end.
Mijas itself is beautiful, whitewashed, picturesque and ample restaurants and bars, the food we found was more touristy that we have found in for example Malaga and Barcelona but was still a good quality - the secret garden baked cheese, iberico black ham and fish stew were delicious!
The international festival was on in the main square with bands, flamenco, tribute acts etc and had a good atmosphere.
We had a car and visited Cala mijas too for a beach day which is small quite pleasant.
We will return to Mijas but probably rent an apartment. Other hotel options are outside the village so the Mijas is very well placed.
My only refurb tips would be new mattress or memory foam topper! Shower screen not curtain, and maybe new hall carpets as a little worn, otherwise keep the traditional charm and don't change to the sterile interior of majority chain hotels.
Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Request superior room overlooking tennis court floor 2 upwards for a view.
Dear Mrs Alison

Thank you for taking the time to post your review!
It is so great to know that you've had a wonderful time while staying with us,

I was sorry to read that we had not managed to meet your expectations
during your stay with us, especially with regards to the comfort of the bed.

We are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back and to provide you
with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Kindest regards
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The first view of our hotel we thought wow! The entrance and reception were very nice and on booking in we were given room 24. We had paid extra for a superior room, it was dreadful the room over looked the canopy of the seating for the outside bar at the back of the hotel. On asking at reception if it was a superior room we were given room 329 and expected it to be much better but sadly it was not. It was just a bog standard room with a nicer view. We also had paid for half board but don't bother the food is awful and there is lots of fantastic places to eat in Mijas. On saying that the grounds were lovely and so was the pool.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the food at the hotel it is awful. Don't have a room at the side of the ho...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie R
Dear Mr Jackie R

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the TRH Mijas Hotel,
but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.
Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We treat all of your comments with the utmost seriousness and
we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Bournemouth
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Hotel was clean and the staff were reasonably friendly. Our room had a bath with a shower above and my big hate - a plastic shower curtain that sticks to you every few seconds !! Would have opted for just a walk in shower, not sure if all rooms were like this. Only 2 plugs in room, and one was smashed, luckily I took an plug with 3 sockets which I plugged into my adaptor. The breakfast was OK, 3 self service coffee machines which were always breaking, but an acceptable range of fruit, bread and cooked food. After the 3rd day I was a bit bored with the same choice - it cost 10 Euros a day each, which we paid up front with our room. It is convenient to have breakfast at hotel but it did get a bit monotonous- couldn't have done it for 2 weeks !!! The views are amazing, especially from the bar at night looking down towards the sea in the distance. The Hotel is acceptable for the price, there are loads of beds around the pool, some are stacked so you can just lift them down and move them to the roof terrace a few feet away from the pool. Pool towels available from reception for a returnable deposit of 15Euros. Shower gels in bathroom are replaced as you use them and the maid came in every day.
All the travel info about Mijas village makes it seem very big, but it's not a big town and you can very quickly get around all the tourist sights at an easy walk. There are loads of restaurants and bars. It is a beautiful town - very good for photographers and again the amazing views are everywhere. It is built on so many levels that you can look up and see the village stretching above you with houses on maybe 6 different levels and then look down and see the same ! In the gardens you can reach over and touch the top of 20 foot high trees that are growing on the next level down.
The village is kept spotless by the Town Hall workers, even the horses pulling the carriages have slings attached to their harness to catch their droppings ! The horses pulling the carriages and the donkeys giving rides work very hard in the hot sun trotting and walking up some steep cobbled roads, but they seem in good condition and their hooves and shoes are well kept up together. I believe there are still bull fights in the ring but that is something I would avoid, any cruelty to animals would disturb me, but it is the Spanish culture and tradition, so just make sure there is nothing like that going on before you stroll up there if you have the same views on bull fighting as I do.

Room Tip: We had room overlooking pool which was good, but the rooms looking out to sea were good too. Rooms o...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Mrs Karen

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very glad to read that our staff friendliness and the cleanliness of the hotel were up to your satisfaction.
I will certainly pass on your comments to the team as this will act as positive encouragement
as they endeavour to offer the highest level of customer service.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon for another hassle free stay.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mijas
ILUNION Hacienda del Sol
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron
Hotel IPV Palace & Spa
Hotel IPV Palace & Spa
#1 of 37 in Fuengirola

Been to TRH Mijas? Share your experiences!