We were given a week at this resort following a holiday presentation that we didn't take up. It's one of five Crown Resort complexes in Calahonda, a small residential development between Fuengirola and Marbella.
We visited in mid October and asked for something fairly quiet as we have children under 10 and didn't want loud partying nearby. It certainly fitted the bill. The apartments are spacious and of a good standard including good quality contemporary bathroom and kitchens. There's a spacious balcony on the coast side with ample room for the four us to sit or have a meal, plus room to dry towels. Fans provide air con and I noted a plug in heater in the wardrobe although as it was mid 70's in mid October I doubt if it would be needed that often. It is well equipped with towels, a kettle, fridge freezer, microwave and even a washing machine with washing tablets!
We were put in a front row third floor apartment which gave us sea views. At the rear there are lovely sub tropical gardens between our block and the next, although you have to watch your step on the paving stones. Access is via security gates with a coded keypad but these were often open. There is a small open air pool on site but it's not heated or manned. There are no other facilities on site. Some apartments are privately owned but most of our block was part of Crown Resorts.
Therefore you need a hire car to drive to the other Crown Resorts with facilities (Marbella and Delta Mar) and shops. We got ours via the Holiday Autos section on Last Minute.com for £109 for the week from Marbella airport.
Delta Mar has an open air pool which is slightly heated with crazy golf, internet access, a bar and large sandpit.
Club Marbella has two warm pools and a restaurant / bar. The outdoor pool is great in the sunshine and surrounded by loungers so you can keep an eye on the kids. They need to be swimmers though as the pool is around 2.5m deep throughout. The bar has Sky TV so I was able to watch English football matches. There are also plenty of bars and restaurants in walking distance although nothing very Spanish!
We went in the week before the October half term - neither Delta Mar or Marbella pools / restaurants are particularly large so I can imagine that at peak times it might be a little crowded.
Overall it was a bit of a pain having to get in the car to go to facilities at other Crown Resorts and shops, but on the other hand Caronte is a quiet retreat throughout the day and has more spacious accommodation than the other sites.
Calahonda is a good base though for driving to visit Costa del Sol attractions. Best local beach is Puerto Cabopino. For old Spain, Marbella, Mijas (the hill town not the Costa) and if you can bear the 1 hour drive, Ronda are the pick of the places we visited.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Club Caronte forms part of Crown Resorts, awarded by Trivago in 2014 “Best hotels for families in Mijas Costa”. Club Caronte is ideal for a relaxing holiday, with only 1,5 km from the beach and its ideal sea views from the apartment balcony. These spacious apartments will ensure a pleasant stay as the apartments are fully equipped. The resort has 2 swimming pools (one for adults and one for kids) and a fitness room. Distance from Marbella is 17Km and 29 from the airport. ***Guests staying at Club Caronte can make use of all the facilities at the other 4 Crown Resorts within Riviera del Sol and Calahonda*** ***A free bus service is available to other Crown Resorts, supermarket and the beach*** For further information plese visit our web page. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Club Caronte Crown Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Caronte Crown Hotel Costa Del Sol
- Club Caronte Crown Resort Mijas, Costa Del Sol, Spain