“Fabulous Restaurant and Excellent Staff”

El Oceano Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Mijas
Dublin, Ireland
“Fabulous Restaurant and Excellent Staff”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Firstly, this review is based on our experiences in the Restaurant and in the hotel public areas. As we didn't stay there, I can't comment on the rooms.

We visited this hotel twice in the period of 10 days during a stay on Mijas Costa. From our arrival in the hotel, through to being seated in the Restaurant, our welcome and treatment from the staff was nothing but excellent. The public areas were spotlessly clean and were very welcoming.

Our second visit to the Restaurant was going to be on my husbands birthday and I asked Jan on Reception if I could order a cake for him. Her attitude and manner was one of the warmest, friendliest and nicest that I have encountered in a long time.

If our first visit to the hotel restaurant was good, it was really surpassed by our second visit. On the second visit, we took our drinks outside and had a look around the pool area. I am fussy about cleaniless and appearance and I would have to say that the pool area was spotless and beautifully laid out.

The food in the Restaurant on both occasions was absolutely excellent. It was presented beautifully and the food was also hot when served. The service was very prompt and professional yet very personal. And even though the restaurant was extremely busy on our second visit, service did not suffer in any way.

As for the cake I'd ordered, it was delivered beautifully to my husband and Jan who'd been on reception when I'd ordered it even gave us a free cocktail each. On leaving, the staff arranged for us to bring the rest of the cake home with us.

Nothing seemed too much trouble for any of the staff in the hotel and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Hopefully on our next trip to Mijas Costa, we'll include a stay of a couple of nights here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Celticcreation
eloceano, Manager at El Oceano Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Thankyou for your kind words and glad you enjoyed the experience! Looking forward to welcoming you in the very near future!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
herts
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I dont like to moan and although the hotel was pleasant and the waiting staff excellent I feel that the reception guys could work on their customer service. I was assured when booking that wifi was available in the rooms. It was not. The more I asked the more I was fobbed off. Almost as if it was my fault!! In the end I just had to accept I would not have wifi in my room. No compensation was given I felt I just had to lump it. A shame as the place is lovely and clean. The rooms are small but adequate and the food is good but not much choice and more expensive than venturing out. It would have been better to have discussed this with the management but unless things are going well, they really don't want to know.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank ETricker
Many thanks for your comments and apologies for any inconvenience caused with the free wifi provided. Unfortunately we experienced some issues with the wifi in some of the rooms over that particular weekend yet all the common area wifi was working well . We can assure you that the technicians have now resolved the issues.
Reviewed 12 September 2011

A very pleasant family run hotel that give guests top quality food and drink.

• Stayed September 2011
London
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Balcony falling apart. Big chunk of rusted metal came off as I brushed my foot against it.
Rooms were fine but the 'complimentary' robe had very dark long hairs and pieces of rubbish in the pocket, making me doubt it had been cleaned. The 'bar/lounge' area is very dated. Food was fine but service is not very good. I saw a few customers getting hacked off with the slow service. Pool area is fine.
They need to improve customer service.
Location is not great - need a cab/car to get to anywhere decent.
Spa was good though - London prices, but I had a good massage here.
I know you get what you pay for and it is quite cheap to stay here but I would personally prefer to pay a little more and stay at the Vincci or don Carlos and have luxury rooms, good customer service and you would also save money on cabs as their locations are better.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank BunnyGirl80
Hatch End
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Just returned from a fantastic 5 day stay at El Oceano with my daughter. Everything about this hotel is fantastic. Beautiful surroundings. Delicious food. Friendly staff. Would definitely recommend this hotel. A special mention for the beach bar staff who we kept very busy, but nothing was too much trouble for them. Thank you. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynn D
Y Felinheli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2011

My family of 4 stayed here for 5 nights this August.Had a great short break.Service is excellent,food great and good value as Spain is not cheap at the moment.The magician at one of the dinners baffled me again!Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2011
portrush
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We have recently returned from our 5th visit to El Oceano. I seldom write reviews but felt obliged to do so having read some of the recent negative reviews of this beautiful little hotel. I know everyone has different expectations and things are not always perfect - we have stayed in high end 5* hotels where we had plenty of cause to complain! In our experience,and we are fussy(!), El oceano is a fantastic place to stay for a totally relaxing holiday, where we are always made to feel so welcome. The staff,most of whom have been there for a number of years, are always entirely professional and could not be more helpful-nothing is too much trouble. The location is perfect and it is matched by the high standard of service and food,which is very good value for money and delicious.However, I would be inclined to agree that the half-board option is rather restricting - there are other restaurants within easy walking distance which are nice to try for a change, including Antonio's,a beach bar serving simply cooked fish dishes, and Las Llaves, a Spanish restaurant.
The seaview rooms are absolutely idyllic and you are totally unaware that you are near the main road.
On face value it might appear that El Oceano is overpriced but when taking into account the whole experience the cost is justified. Roll on our next break to Costa Del Sol and El Oceano!

Room Tip: It is definitely worth paying the extra for a seaview room.