“Up-market overall, but could easily be excellent”

El Oceano Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Mijas
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed here last year & regularly call in for lunch when in the area. Overall, this is a good somewhat upmarket restaurant with rooms that I think are over priced but with sun bathing areas that are very pleasant.
So, what lets it down? That's easy to answer: the service is very good, but you have to conform to their rules rather than them look after you as they should. We lunched there today arriving at around 1.45 and sat at a pleasant enough table outside the restaurant. There were oodles of tables to choose from as it was pretty quiet such that there was maybe two customers to a member of staff. The Mem has the Oceana salad which was superb and I had soup of the day which was again very good. What annoyed me a little is that, Madam having declared that she was on a diet a waiter brought a roll each and questioned her when she said no such that she changed her mind & kept it. I saved mine for my soup. What I was somewhat surprised at is the hotel charging €1.75 each for a very small roll and soup being served without one. Still, at €3.50 for two small rolls I can under and why the waiter was somewhat insistent! A small glass of wine, a soda water plus a sparkling water brought us a combined bill of over €37 which seemed exorbitant if I'm being honest. As we were staying for the rest of e day, I asked to keep our tab open(we'd only be 10 metres away on sun beds) but this was declined saying we had to pay the restaurant separate to the bar which is ridiculous when it merges as pretty much the same area. To justify this, we were told that our waiter couldn't be running backwards & forwards all day! Hello? Had they been rushed off their feet, then fair enough - but when they were very quiet surely they could have accommodated us? So we paid and walked the few steps to a sun bed, only to be told that we had to pay €10 each to use them! That equated to around €5 an hour per bed. We explained that we'd just dined, had booked for a party of us to come for lunch in two days time & that the Mem had booked into their hairdressers in two hours time, but €10 each was rigid. We declined & went down onto the beach which was absolutely fine for us. We would each have had at least three drinks during our sun bathing, but said sod em & just chewed the sweeties we had in our bag. They certainly missed a trick all the way round.
As per my title, thiis overall up-market place could gave been excellent but we left feeling that they need to seriously examine their treatment of customers.
Regards the hotel, we don't stop there any more as the road noise drives me mad, so if you are planning to stay there insist on a quiet room!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room....
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BruceYork

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Five night stay to see in the New year, very good Hotel, fantastic staff who were very professional also the owner is on show at all times, could not praise El Oceano highly enough, and yes I will be going back.

Room Tip: we had a sea view room first floor, it was very nice with a great view, we were told the rooms on th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dean J
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I arranged a day of treatments at what can only be described as a true gem of a Hotel here on the coast. As a local I have many choices as to where to visit and I can honestly say when it comes to a 5 star experience be it dining, poolside relaxing, or indulging in some spa treatments you will find no better. The staff are welcoming, professional, and provide a service that is second to none. The Spa features beautiful decoration and relaxing treatment rooms. I really felt at home whilst there and the prices reflect great value for the top quality products used such as Elemis which is really the best money can buy! Sarah was my therapist during my visit and she did everything she could to make me feel comfortable. I would highly reccomend her as she made the experience very enjoyable and even though it was the first time we met I felt I had known her a long time. I would reccomend visiting El Oceano Hotel for any service it offers as it is above parr in every aspect. Elegance at its best.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaurenH117
Reviewed 8 January 2014

What a fabulous evening !!
What a way to see out the old year and bring in the New Year...
As ever the staff were wonderful, nothing was too much trouble- accomodating all our requests for things we required - with genuine smiles and warmth of personality.
We has a sumptuous meal that could have equalled any of the best restaurants in the world.
The three different musical artists that entertained us throughout the evening and into the small hours all played something to please everyone.
We look forward to spending another New Year celebration with them - and several other occasions hopefully before that!!!
Thank you all at El Oceano.

2  Thank escorpion2014
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed here for 5 days in September and although the website shows lovely images and claims a lot I must admit it is all and more. I stayed in the apartments and although not very large it was quite nice. My friend stayed in the next apartment which was nearly twice the size so I would ask for that one next time. The restaurant and pool area though is so fantastic that you will find that you spend no time in your room. The staff are all young and energetic and try to please as much as possible.
Advantages: restaurant, pool area and most of the staff. I guess the greatest compliment I could pay this lovely gem is that I cannot wait to return....and return....and return.
Disadvantages: It might not be suitable for families (as advertised) or perhaps older people, even though there were a very mixed age group staying when I was there. The music from the wonderful pool bar is modern and although I loved it....it might not suit all ages. On one occasion we were asked to move away from the pool area as there was a reception being held which was a little disappointing as we were residents. We found some of the breakfast staff to be a little frosty. We always arrived before closing time but perhaps a little too close to it sometimes...but then again it was a holiday.
Overall though....this is 5 Star at 4 Star price....if you are thinking of staying in the area....this is the place to stay without question. I have stayed in numerous hotels in Marbella....this is much better. Well done to all.

Room Tip: If you are staying across the road in the apartments....ask for the rooms above the hairdressers...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2014

thank you to glen family and all the wonderful staff at this wonderful gem of an hotel another wonderful new year fantastic food great entertainment made to feel at home ever year a real home from home

Room Tip: sea view upper levels great views!
Reviewed 3 January 2014

After a fabulous stay in July we decided to spend New Year at El Oceano. Great decision as we had an excellent stay. Our jacuzzi suite room (19) was really lovely and the Gala Dinner was first class in every way ie from the attentive staff to the gorgeous food and the great entertainment. This is a relatively small hotel with focus on high standards. I also sampled the Oceano Spa and found Sarah and her team very friendly and professional.

Jan in reception was very informative and made us feel so welcome.

Cannot wait for our return this July!

Yvonne & John

Room Tip: Upper floor gives beautiful sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mijas
1 mi away
La Cala Resort
#1 of 4 in La Cala de Mijas
3 mi away
Los Amigos Beach Club

Been to El Oceano Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!