“Worst experience ever (http://www.miraflores.com/accommodations.html)”
Review of Miraflores Resort

Miraflores Resort
Ranked #24 of 41 Speciality Lodging in Mijas
Reviewed 16 November 2011

After having to realize that this resort does not have included breakfast, or clean towels every day, I also had to face one of the worst treatment in my life.

One evening after unlocking the room, and chilling for a short while I have realized my laptop, and my iPad were stolen from the room. The room was locked, and the alarm was on by myself. After calling emergency number guard came and in front of me checked the doors and windows concluding there was no breaking in. The math is clear, it was someone with a key. Police only took my statement without ever coming to the hotel. Next day no one from the hotel had any interest in talking to me, so I had to call 5 times to be seen by some manager, only next day (2 days after the incident).
After talking to one of the least professional managers I have ever met in my life I was told that I forgot to lock the door, that I forgot that I have actually switched off the alarm, and that I have forgot that the door was actually unlocked when I came back!?
On top of all of it, I was given hotel guard report that was saying that someone broke in the room!? Just like that... a lie...
At the end hotel took no responsability or interest in what happened.
So, please if you want to have a vacation do not ever visit this place, because all you will have is frustration.
Thanks,

Maja R.

Room Tip: None, because you cannot protect your stuff from hotel staff.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
11  Thank Maja R

Reviewed 15 November 2011

A friend of mine and I have spent one week in this hotel from 04.11.2012 to 11.11.2011 and have experienced things that I couldn’t have imagine in the worst travelling nightmares.
The whole “Miraflores Vacation Club” resort is (officially) guarded by a local security company and our room was equipped with alarm that we have turned on whenever we leave the room. That put us in ease as we were carrying a lot of valuable PC equipment.
At night of 09.11 I came back to our room, unlocked the door and then noticed that alarm was off. At first I didn’t worry too much as room was locked and all windows closed/locked as well. But then we noticed that all valuable items in the room are missing, a laptop, an I-Pad and two external hard drives… We couldn’t believe that this is happening, how they can disappear when room door was locked!!?
Also, there was no mess in the room, the items are carefully picked up, disconnected from chargers and everything was simply gone :-( It just looked as the person who “cleaned” the room was not in hurry.
After few minutes of shock we got in action and then the real nightmare has started. We called the security company, the police and duty reception number (as reception works only during a day)
The security company has sent one guard, but he just checked the room for traces of “break & enter”, found nothing and then called the police.
The police told us to come to the station to fill the report and so we did. They promised us that they will hand the case to local police and that they will come to investigate… that was the last that we have heard from them.
The man on reception duty was telling us that we need to fix everything with our insurance (!?) and was completely not interested in whole case.
Thus we decide to wait for the morning, so we can talk with the people on the reception desk and that was the most painful part of the experience. When we explained what have happened the lady at the desk got angry as we have been “accusing the hotel personnel”… this was something that we simply couldn’t believe, far beyond our imagination :-(
We tried to calm the things down and after some discussion she has promised that she will talk with her manager and call us straight away. We went back to our room and started waiting for the call… After 6 hours, when we ran out of all possible reasons that can hold our reception lady we have decided to call her. On our endless disappointment she was just lamely excusing herself and manager and on top of everything she was trying to present the case as “break & enter”… the facts that a thief had room key and alarm code she was simply refusing to admit… Then we asked to talk with a manager and being told that “manager is busy” but we can meet her tomorrow – the day we are travelling back!
I had to travel early but my friend had a chance to meet the manager, and the story of ignorance and rudeness was repeated once again, she was rough, inaccessible, just generalized the things and avoiding facts… they have been just waiting us to go. As my friend insisted to get an explanation for obvious breach in hotel safety the manager has repeated the same “you can’t accuse hotel personnel” scenario and has told her to leave the office…
It is very hard to explain the shock and a bitter feeling that we have carried with us on our way back, this is far the worst vacation I have ever had.

Please keep in mind that Spain is a wonderful country and Costa del Sol is definitely worth visiting, just avoid this hotel and in every case make sure that the hotel you are going to has proper means of protecting your values.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank Damir T
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Fast and efficient check-in - although not happy to be charged €28.50 for electricity. We were put in the Rancho building which is a about as high up the resort as it is possible to get. So the views were great but it was a long walk down to the beach. Large apartment with OK facilities including washer/drier, full size oven, microwave & fridge freezer. There was also a new looking lock on the external door but following previous reviews we had left all but essentials at home and during our stay took wallets & passports with us when we went out. We had an electronic tag to open the security gate to the apartment block and the pool area but on several occasions found the gate open. Whole resort is kept reasonably clean. Bars and shops within walking distance including a supermarket that opens long hours 365 days a year which is handy if you arrive late.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank debznjohn
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I had emailed and called this company with my flight details the week before our visit. We arrived at this resort at 11pm having travelled all day to find the reception closed. We pressed the buzzer next to the reception doors for the so-called 'out of hours' service, to which the security guys (eventually) responded. They took our passports and booking sheets, opened up reception, only to be told there was no booking for us and they didn't have a room for us.They made a number of phone calls (in Spanish) and then firmly told us we were at the Miraflores Beach and Country Club and they would take us there. At this point it was past midnight. The Miraflores Beach and Country Club was also closed. The security guys escorted us off site and dumped us there. We went back to Miraflores Club and spoke to the staff in the restaurant underneath reception as we didn't know what to do. It was late and we had nowehere to stay. They informed us this had happened a number of times. We ended up travelling down the coast and finding at hotel at 1am at a cost of EUR137! In the morning we went to the reception of the Miraflores Beach and Country Club to be told we weren't booked in there either. We rang our agent - Bonus Week Breaks - no answer. Shock! So we asked the receptionist to try Miraflores Club (again!) and oh yes, we were there afterall! Not happy. We arrived in reception and asked why we hadn't been able to check-in the day before, to be told 'don't know'. We asked to speak to the manager but he wasn't back til Monday. On arriving at our apartment (Rancho Club) we found it had not been cleaned - there were hairs in the bed, on the floor, in the toilet. The place was filthy. Went back down to reception to complain. Once cleaned we found the toaster, grill and oven didn't work so we reported that but nothing was done. Went to see the manager on Monday but he was 'on holiday'. They then said we could have a late check-out on the Friday (finally getting somewhere) to be told the next day that it was unavailable unless we paid EUR100 and they would charge my credit card (which they had taken the details of on check-in). I demanded the hotel money back, plus a late check-out - the least they could do after all the hassle but they said they couldn't make those types of decisions while 'the manager' was away. The reception staff were ignorant and rude. Finally, after 17 phone calls, Chris at Vacation Care offered to refund the money and got us a late check-out. What a shambles. I would not recommend this hotel/resort to anyone, it's never been a 5 star!! They need a lesson or two in customer service. If people didnt privately own the majority of the apartments then I doubt the place would still be in business.
The only plus is the Vista Del Mar restaurant in the Playa Miraflores on the beachfront - Jayne and Dave are lovely and the food is exceptional. They are nothing to do with Miraflores though as it is a privately-run restaurant, and you can tell!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank sibby777
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed as a family of 4 (three young adults) at Miraflores on a time-share exchange. Our apartment was clean and well situated for our trips up and down the coast. While accommodation was spacious, we would have liked 2 bathrooms. Our circular block also had its own swimming pool and a security gate to keep out unwanted visitors. We were not happy to pay extra for the fitted safety box. The apartment had good security i.e. an alarm was fitted.
(Living in South Africa we are used to this level of security).Shortly before we checked in, we were told there had been luggage stolen out of a car in broad daylight. Although we didn't see any suspicious characters hanging around, there is obviously a crime problem in the area.
Operating the washing machine in the unit had us stumped, despite asking housekeeping for assistance, so further washing was done by hand. Miraflores is close to the supermarket, shops, restaurants and the mall at Fuengirola (good shopping venue).World famous Marbella was a short drive away, but far too congested for our liking.The beaches at the Costa del Sol are nothing remarkable as S A has much nicer ones, but this was not the true purpose of our holiday. Nerja had a good beach and was a really pretty town to visit.Trips to nearby Ronda, Granada (The magnificent Alhambra) and Malaga as well as Mijas were most enjoyable although the smell of donkeys in Mijas was a bit overwhelming at times and clung most stubbornly to a leather bag I bought there! None the less, we had a wonderful holiday at Miraflores and the extra night we stayed was reasonably priced and easily arranged. Resort staff were mostly helpful and spoke English. Our car hire from Auto-Rent Miraflores was a pleasure and the staff were most helpful. I also think it was very affordable. Despite minor irritations, I would return to this area and recommend Miraflores as a well situated and convenient resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and check you have adequate security. Be alert at all times.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Arlene945
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This is a continuation of a previous post now, back in UK.
The resort management must be extremely stupid to keep seeing those comments and still not doing anything about it. Whilst sitting in the apartment, one in the circular building, kids at the pool and wife coming and going; she popped back shortly after going out to say that the 3 gypsy women were sitting outside, then she left again. Within moments I heard a scrapping at the door and then a couple of grubby ugly faces appeared. I shooed them off with a flea in their ear, happy to join the other fleas no doubt!

Called reception and got a very non-interested response saying to stay in and they would send security man up. 30 minutes later no security had come, rang again and they said that security had caught the women..... and what, called police? No, escorted them off the premises. Ha! What good is that? Obviously no good at all unless there is an unlimited supply of gypsy women at their camp, the same ones keep coming back.

They had apparently used a slim jemmy on the door as if you don't double lock it they can easily open the 'Yale' style' closer. There is no handle on the outside and I did not think that locking myself in the apartment would be required, but AGAIN BE WARNED.

I must give this resort a 1 star terrible rating solely for their ineptitude in sorting this problem out and the apparent indifference of the reception staff. What would have happened if it was my young children in the apartment whilst we popped out to the car or pool to bring back forgotten towels etc and these old crows break in. IT IS NOT FUNNY.

We became fastidious in double locking the front door and the additional lock on one of the 2 patio doors and setting the alarm (never seen the this in a holiday apartment before) but following our return after an afternoon at the beach the room had been cleaned but the alarm was not re-set nor the patio locked...WTF!!

DO NOT GO TO THIS RESORT UNTIL THEY SORT THIS OUT! This will be the only way that they will get off their lazy butts and do something. P.S. Management have found one response to the lack of security, they charge you €40 for a sake key, well done.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Ace171
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Spotless apartment and very well equipped for a family. 2 beds and 2 bathrooms. Best apartments we have stayed in. Great view of Med and mountains. Underground parking etc Gardens and pools very clean and suitable for young kids. You need a key to get in to the complex and pool and there is a life guard on duty from 11am to 7pm. 10 min walk down a steep hill to beach, shop and eateries. Also, the same walk within the Miraflores complex to more shops etc. Bus to Malaga etc at end of hill. Some very good eateries near beach as you approach La Cala. 'Gambitas' and others on the beach. 'Sai' is a great Indian in La Cala.Tapas bar within the grounds of a excellent playground in LA Cala. 'The Terrace' is very good also. You can get by without a car, but you could get to see so much more with one.Just be careful of dog owners not cleaning up after their pets on footpaths etc. Loads to see and do. Would go back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family