“Food is not everything!”

Hipotels Hipocampo Palace
Ranked #2 of 59 Hotels in Cala Millor
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My wife and I disagree strongly on this hotel. You see my wife "lives to eat" whilst I "eat to live". Food is not everything in my opinion. What I cannot disagree with is that the quality, variety of choice and the whole dining experience is first class!

So you may wonder what is wrong with this hotel?

I have a couple of complaints which are as follows:

On our stay we were advised that there would be a wedding reception and we were asked to show respect for the party. No problem there I thought and even took a photo of the rather posh table layout prior to it starting (uploaded to trip advisor). What I didn't know was that the reception wouldn't start until 23:00hrs and that following the meal they would be starting the music in the function room attached to the bar! The loud booming music rose through a central courtyard and kept me awake all night. By 5am I got up, got dressed and went down to complain to the night porter asking what time the music would stop? After a phone call to whoever I was advised that it would be 5.45 to 6am! Having expressed my displeasure I was advised that the manager would get back to me later in the day. That never happened nor the following day nor the next 7 days when we checked out. Not so much as an apology was given by the manager!

It seems to me that the Hipocampo Palace have forgotten what there core business is and that the manager doesn't give two hoots about the resident guests! Having shown respect to the wedding party they showed non for the resident guests.

My second and relatively minor point is that whilst the quality of entertainment was good or better with all the acts bought in there was 4 out of 10 nights when no entertainment was provided. In my opinion that is not acceptable!

Room Tip: Do not accept a room above the bar area because if there is a wedding you will get no sleep!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank art c

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We booked this hotel for a 3 day stay in May based on the reviews on Tripadvisor and Booking.com and we were not disappointed.Although the weather was not great for May in Spain,we were compensated by the excellent large room with sea view to the beach about 200 metres away across the garden and by the superb breakfast ! After spending 45 years travelling the world on business, now retired, we travel all over the world on vacation and we have seldom come across such a superb breakfast buffet which has hot and cold dishes to suit every taste. the staff in the restaurant are charming and helpful. Although Cala Millor is nothing much apart from a nice beach this excellent hotel contributed to an enjoyable 3 day break.If you like a great breakfast and a relaxing time,book here.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room on a high floor in the main building
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard028
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We chose this hotel because of the reviews, but were sceptical that it could be that good. What a pleasant change to be proved wrong. I agree with other reviewers, Cala Millor is pretty average as a resort but this hotel certainly isn't! If you like good food, this place is for you. We were constantly amazed by the sheer variety, consistency and quality of the food. I had a salad at the poolside cafe and was knocked out by it. Yes, a salad! As for service, the staff from the off couldn't have been more helpful and attentive. We were upgraded to a suite and the cleanliness and comfort we couldn't fault. The only gripe I had wasn't the hotel but some of the other guests. The hotel operates a strict no shorts rule at dinner for men, a good idea on my view. But a lot of men chose to wear jeans, and some of the women made no effort at all, wearing tatty shorts and vest tops. Such a shame as the rest of the other women looked lovely, and the dining experience deserved better. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel if you want comfort, style and excellent food. 5 star!

Room Tip: ask for upgrade to suite, higher rooms have better views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank colin b
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

I have just spent a week with my wife at this hotel and have to say it will be hard to beat this hotel for the money. Cala Millor itself is nice enough although I wouldn't say it's particularly amazing, but other than a nice walk on the beach after dinner, we were here primarily for some sun and to relax by the pool. The pool area itself is one of the nicest places I have been, spacious grassed area, lots of space between loungers and a large pool. The pool has good bar and food services,that are not overpriced. Towels and loungers are free. The hotel caters for families as much as couples, there are children play areas and staff are very friendly and seem to be all about making your stay as good as possible. Rooms are spacious and clean, TV has some English channels which was a bonus.

The food for breakfast and dinner is the best I have experienced. It speaks volumes when residents from other hotels are paying to come eat at your hotel!! The selection was very good, and quality was exceptional. They really do cater for all tastes, it's hard not to get carried away as everything looks so good. Tip: Save some room for dessert :)

Both myself and my wife can see ourselves returning to this place provided the hotel keeps doing what its doing.

If you are looking for a relaxing poolside holiday in Mallorca then look no further, this is the place!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Klauster
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Third visit to this hotel and pleased to report that the high standards have been maintained. Great location at the quieter end of the resort and only a 5 minute walk from a beautiful sandy beach which provides safe sea bathing. The hotel itself has well maintained gardens with a spacious pool. Standard of rooms and cleanliness could not be faulted, excellent wide range of food and very good friendly service. Please see my tips for a couple of minor problems but certianly not enough to detract from the quality provided by this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms will get the afternoon sun on the balcony and on a hot day it can be maked it uncomfortab...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We have just stayed at this hotel, June 2013. I couldn't fault it, we were given a seaview room with two balconies, one balcony had two sun loungers! , the other balcony had a table and chairs. The room was very spacious with a fabulous bathroom. It was very restful and you couldn't hear a thing, no noise from the next door room, completely relaxing. Best sleeps I have had in years. The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The pool is very big, very clean with a lovely waterfall you can sit under. There are plenty of sunbeds and you are given clean towels for the pool everyday. There is waiter service all day around the pool, fabulous coffee and cocktails. The poolside café is very good, not expensive either. The food is very good, so much choice, we were breakfast only but paid to have an evening meal on our last night, the buffet was amazing, so much of it!!. Evening Entertainment is good although we did usually venture into the centre of Callor Millor to sample the nightlife. Restaurants, beach and bars are only a very short walk away from the hotel. This hotel is definitely a 5 star.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RoseW282
Reviewed 24 June 2013

09.06.13 to 20.06.13. Despite the road through the middle of the hotel (as noted in previous reports on TA) our stay at the Hipocampo Palace was excellent. The staff are all so friendly without being too familiar (well done specifically to Toni in the dining room and to Dani in the bar who looked after us so well). The suite was very comfortable, and kept spotlessly clean by the housekeeping team. The pool area was lovely, with plenty of space between the loungers and parasols; again very clean. The evening entertainment was very good and there was plenty of space for all the audience. The food was spectacular - best ever in a hotel. Although the evening meal was a buffet, it was unlike any pother hotel buffet we have ever had, with a huge choice of averything, and the show cooking (a wide selection of fish and a variety of meats) was superb. Breakfast again was buffet style with a huge variety of choices. The wine list was very good, with a lovely selection of mallorcan wines ('Marcia Batle' Crianza Tinto is recommended). The bar also had a lovely selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails, and again the local aperitifs were lovely and well worth a try. Bar prices above local bars etc. but as expected in a hotel of this standard. All-in-all a fabulous place to stay. One slight concern was one of the senio waiters very publically telling off a waitress and making her cry - totally unacceptable and unexpected given averything else.

Room Tip: A suite at the back of the building, overlooking the mountains - quiet and shady if you don't wa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 mi away
Park Hyatt Mallorca
Park Hyatt Mallorca
#1 of 15 in Canyamel

Been to Hipotels Hipocampo Palace? Share your experiences!