“Hipocampo Palace”

Ranked #2 of 65 Hotels in Cala Millor
London, United Kingdom
“Hipocampo Palace”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

To me, '5 star' means reception staff will go out of their way to help you with any questions or issues. Reception staff were often too busy to help, and I was offended by the rude, dismissive attitude of one of them one morning when I needed assistance.

Cleanliness-wise, yes, it was definitely 5 star, but service is what matters most to me, so I do not feel like I got my money's worth for such a big spend.

Location - hidden away at the south end of Cala Millor beach. Next to an overgrown vacant lot.

Other guests - they could do well to attract a mix of nationalities, as I felt that I was the only one in the resort that couldn't speak German. One guest continued to glare at me during breakfast one morning from another table - it's a mystery as to why. I felt neither comfortable nor particularly welcome there in general, which I found quite odd considering I was a paying customer like everyone else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank amanda2234645756

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel is perfect. The surroundings, the view from our balcony was breath taking. The rooms are so clean and highly maintained. Not forgetting the delicious food and the excellent dinner gala held every friday evening. The hotel also offers various evening entertainment, hence no need to go out to other places in the night. Will call back in the near future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank TasilaB
Reading
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We've just got back from a 4 night stay, this was our second stay at the hotel.

Very pleased to report that we had another excellent stay. The level of service from the staff is excellent, the food is excellent too and you are spoilt for choice. To give you some idea of what is available, I had steaks, calf's liver, venison, rabbit, calamares, sea bream, sole.... all cooked on the grill to my liking, the chefs are very helpful and do a great job.

We had a room on the third floor overlooking the garden with a sea view, it had a large balcony too. It was a shame that the weather wasn't brilliant for us to make better use of it.

I can't praise this hotel enough, and look forward to returning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Choubi_Chin
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

palatial hotel, good service, Nice comfortable rooms, but normal double room had two single beds pushed together, option of true double bed was not offered.

Outside swimming pool was rather cold in late October and early November. Inside pool was part of a spa complex and was heated
Restaurant was open for breakfast and dinner. Snacks and light meals available at other times in bar and sitting rooms. Food buffet style, with steaks, fish etc griddled while you wait. Extensive variety of food well cooked and beautifully presented On the whole restaurant very good indeed.

Good wine list with good number of good Mallorcan wines and also a selection of fine wines from other major wine regions of Spain

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank PhilipJN
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This hotel is truly lovely. One week here wasn't enough. From the front desk attention and friendliness on our arrival to the most kindly night porter on our leaving we felt cared for. So glad we chose this hotel! We didn't really want to say goodbye. The staff were all friendly! Our room in the main hotel on the 1st floor overlooked the garden and we had a view of the sea - our balcony was the largest ever! Comfy beds, crisp white sheets changed daily! We loved our room. Then there was the food! Unbelievable choice and so delicious! The pool area across the road was so relaxing and never felt crowded. Eating lunch al fresco was a special part of our holiday. Great weather too for the end of October. Entertainment was ok, although we did enjoy the Flamenco evening. This hotel gave us just what was needed, a totally relaxing stress free week away! Loved it, and we will return one day.

Room Tip: Room 1116 was perfect as we had quietness away from the road, huge balcony and good sized room. Plu...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bellagio_fountain
Derbyshire
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week in September, celebrating my husband's 60th birthday, and what a treat it was. We booked a suite which had a separate lounge from the bedroom, with a TV in each room. The only item the suite lacked was a kettle, but we had fortunately checked this out through Trip Advisor prior to our trip, and so took our own travel kettle. The suite was kept very clean, and all the public areas were also exceptionally maintained. We had a huge corner balcony with a lovely view of the mountain in the background. As mentioned before all the suites are across a road from the main building, not that this was a problem at all. As mentioned by other people, the food was out of this world, probably some of the best we have had abroad, plenty of choice and cooked to perfection. On my husband's birthday (even though I didn't tell them), they decorated the table very elegantly, and presented him with a cake and candles, all low key which appealed to him! As with most hotels some of the evening entertainment was good, some was not, but we enjoyed sitting in the very comfortable lounge with very large measures of alcohol! We had a very relaxing holiday, which is what we wanted, the only down side was the area of Cala Millor where the hotel was, we were not very keen, but usually walked toward Cala Bona, and the area around the Twenty Twenty bar (definitely recommended), and further on are better, including Smithy's in Cala Bona. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Doll8851
Ellesmere Port
Reviewed 21 September 2013

While in general agreement with all reviewers except the person kept up all night by the owners daughters wedding, (a one-off I imagine), I feel that I need to point out a few small issues which I found somewhat irritating given the stunning reviews on this hotel, and the fact that at £3500 for a two week stay I had been led to believe that this hotel was beyond reproach.
1. On arrival no welcome drink while checking in, as in other hotels in both Platinum and A la carte brochures, e.g. R.I.U. hotel chain.
2. No complementary drink or fresh fruit in room on arrival. Ditto.
3. No shop within Hotel (nearest Spar approx 150-200 metres).
4. Bedroom furniture of poor quality (black varnished and chipped) and sofa in living area being a 'Futon' type and not comfortable.
5. A unusually high number of young children in a hotel of this calibre, with buggy's being pushed around the dining room at both breakfast and dinner.
6. No alternative to buffet meals i.e. table d'hote, or a' la carte which for some of the more infirm clients would have been a considerable help.
7. Long queues at grill station with people milling around looking at the extensive range of food on offer.
8. Insufficient dining room staff rushed off their feet - no specialist wine waiter/sommellier.
9. Steam room, sauna and relaxation room not permanently operational and required a request at reception to switch on.
As previous reviewers have stated some suites in the annex overlook the mountains but do not receive any sun at any time of the day, and also overlook the rough area of ground which houses the numerous horses and donkeys. A better option in my opinion would be a pool view room.
The resort of Cala Millor has changed considerably (for the worse) since my last visit many years ago with the relative quiet of Cala Bona being the only redeeming feature.
In conclusion I feel that the dining experience is colouring a number of the reviews expressed on this site and while acknowleging that the food was of a very high standard the points which I have raised require some attention by management.

Room Tip: As peviously stated try for a pool view suite which are good value at £28 per day for a couple, and...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
#7 of 65 in Cala Millor
Hipotels Mediterraneo
Hipotels Mediterraneo
#4 of 29 in Sa Coma

Been to Hipotels Hipocampo Palace? Share your experiences!