“Will be back!!”

Protur Playa Cala Millor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in Cala Millor
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I am just back from a weeks stay at Protur Playa Calla Millor with my boyfriend and I can honestly say it's been one of the best holidays we've ever had. Prior to booking the trip we had come to Trip Advisor to research some hotels in Calla Millor and loved all of the positive reviews (and the amount of positive reviews) left for this wonderful hotel. The very minor negative reviews left made us slightly sceptical about it but we are so glad in the end we chose to book here.

ARRIVAL -

Upon arriving at the hotel we were so pleased, the entrance and waiting area is beautifully decorated, bright and very modern (as an interior designer it was my ultimate heaven!). We arrived at 5am and were both very tired, we were given instructions as to how the hotel worked (eating times, entertainment and general information) and given our keys and we were on our way. Originally we were placed on the first floor and a room with a partial sea view, at 5am I was not prepared to go back to the reception and inform them we had paid extra for a room with a sea view (and we also wanted a higher floor), so we slept the night and early morning I headed to the reception to ask kindly if they wouldn't mind if we moved. The gentleman at the reception was very friendly and understanding and granted our wishes of being moved to another room with our paid-for sea view. We were issued new room keys, and it was as simple as that. I originally felt bad for requesting to be moved but once we had seen the new room we had been issued we couldn't have been more pleased I did!

ROOM -

We were given a room on the 7th floor, directly facing the sea with a good sized balcony with the most beautiful view of the sea and the beach below). The all-over decor of the room was very modern and stylish and it was also kept very clean. The bathroom had a great sized shower and the bed was a great size and both of us felt very at home here. Our bed was changed/made daily and we were issued with fresh towels daily also. I think any room in this hotel would be great but if you're looking for the wow factor and a beautiful view to wake up to I'd definitely pay the extra money for a sea view as waking up every morning and seeing nothing but the beautiful sea was worth every penny.

FOOD -

After reading some reviews on this website a few had left comments about the food being okay and just standard hotel-style food (repeated meals, boring etc) so my partner and I decided to only book half-board so we had the option to eat out if we wanted. After arriving and spending a few days here we both regretfully admitted that we wish we'd booked for the all inclusive as the food was so so good. I can happily say that I cannot understand what the complaints on here have been about the food - the variety was great, it was all freshly cooked and there was TONS of it! The buffet style layout was a great idea and me being a picky eater at the best of times, even I found food I liked. In the morning for breakfast there was fresh fruit, a variety of cereals, granola, yoghurts, full fry ups, toast, fresh fruit juice, croissants, doughnuts...the list goes on. At dinner time there was always a variety of food to suit everyone (which was not always repeated like people claimed) - a variety of fresh meats, pasta, cold meats, salads, vegetables and the food available was well thought out and beautifully presented with different styles of cooking.

POOL AREA -

The pool area was fabulous, it was very stylish and modern again (all white and minimal) with a selection of different sun loungers. My partner and I tried each one every day and we have to admit we did enjoy the comfy bed-style square loungers on the raised platform in front of the pool the most (unfortunately there was only 10 of these so you can imagine the competition to get one in the morning - trying to get one was like gold dust).There was square bed-like loungers again at the sides but with four posters and white curtains round each side, individual sun loungers with an umbrella and a table, and then some at the outer edge that were the same square bed loungers but had a fabric roof so it was shaded for those who wanted to be outside but not sit directly in the sun. We spent our entire holiday during the day by the pool sunbathing, and we enjoyed it greatly but did not enjoy the battle to get a good bed. That is the only complaint to this whole holiday is that the hotel is not strict enough on people putting out towels and claiming beds before being allowed out to sunbathe (sign said 8am i believe), people were out at 5-6am and putting out towels then going back to bed and getting up mid morning and going down to the bed that they had laid their towels on which I feel is unfair on other hotel guests. Apart from that which in comparison to the whole holiday is very minor, we loved the pool area. The pool itself is amazing, very large and not too deep, kept incredibly clean, with a plant feature within the pool and also had several in-pool loungers which was great for sunbathing on in the heat but keeping cool as you were submerged in the water (a fabulous idea). We were amazed as at night the pool floor had scattered lights that came on which looked like twinkling stars and was absolutely beautiful to look at from our balcony at night and again an interesting and well-thought of feature to this hotel. There was a bar area next to the pool, and also an area under a giant canopy style cover that had comfy seats and was a great place for me to go and read my book or have a little break from the roasting hot sun for half an hour or so, where there was also a nice constant breeze. Beside this there was also comfy hammocks, and a good sized jet jacuzzi. This hotel everyday continued to amaze us and there was so many wonderful outside features to be taken advantage of.

SERVICE/STAFF -

Previous comments for this hotel only had positive things to say regarding the staff and here I will sing their praises also. Every member of staff my partner and I spoke to, passed in the hallway or were served by at meal times were friendly, smiley and very polite. The reception staff were helpful in every way they could be, I unfortunately had an incident with my hand in the hotel room where it got jammed in a door (my own fault), and the staff went above and beyond to help me and were very caring and sweet. I feel terrible for not ever asking their names, but the woman with the glasses (I presume a member of management?) was so lovely and kind and every day I saw her she would ask how my hand was. The hotel overall was so well run as me and my partner noticed on several occasions - every one of the staff members always seemed to be busy doing something and the place was always kept immaculate. The hotel appeared to run a very tight ship and they all seemed incredibly hard working and it was so good to see such eager to please staff. We had such a laugh with some of the kitchen staff at breakfast time (the gentleman at the cooked breakfast area who scarily resembled Adam Sandler) was hilarious and was always joking and laughing with us and even made me my own Mickey-Mouse pancakes one morning (how cute!). All the staff made us feel so at home and welcome, and it was even nicer at the fact that they remembered your face and would smile and say hello and would even make conversation with you, it's a very nice touch and has ultimately made us want to visit again in the future.

Overall we cannot praise this hotel enough, our stay was absolutely amazing and we were so sad to leave on our final day but we know we will definitely be booking up next year to come stay! Such a fabulous hotel with wonderful staff and I'm so glad we found this beauty of a hotel.

Thankyou Hotel Protur Playa, we look forward to seeing you again next year!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the sea-view rooms if you can, you get nothing but a beautiful view of the sea for mil...
4  Thank Hannah M

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Returned a week ago from a fantastic week in the sun, staying at the Protur Playa Cala Millor and I have to advise that this hotel is fantastic.

Purposefully booking a couples only break, my partner and I weren't sure what to expect, even despite the amazing reviews we had read beforehand, and I have to say that the hotel surpassed both of our expectations.

It is spotlessly clean, modern, minimal and has an elegance and style very much suited to relaxation and enjoyment. The attention to detail and little touches such as the outdoor hammocks, jacuzzi, pool beds and pool night lights set this hotel apart from all the others we saw along the beach strip.

Our room was a little bit small but lovely - and the shower was really powerful (always a bonus), and despite paying for a full sea view were not forward facing, but we weren't too bothered by this. The safe in the wardrobe only costs 2 euros pay day and is well worth it for security, and irons are available from reception at no charge. English channels are available in the room, so that was nice when winding down after a day in the sun.

Worthy of the highest praise is the food!!!! Both being 'foodies', we were absolutely blown away by the variety, choice and standard of the food. There truly is something for everyone, and you would be hard pressed to find fault.....and the desserts.....oh my life, simply fabulous!

Everyone seems to make an effort for dinner, apart from some gentlemen, who despite the signs that long trousers were to be worn for dinner, seemed to believe that this rule didn't apply and shorts and flip flops were acceptable.

The staff are always friendly and cheerful and willing to help, and the little touches such as the bottle of water in your room every day went above and beyond what you would normally expect from a hotel.

The sun beds on the raised patio area next to the pool are definitely the best, but you have to get up early and wait as these go uber fast!

One tip.....as we were half board and wanted to wander out at lunchtime, we soon discovered that the level of cuisine anywhere else in Cala Millor is very much lacking and severely overpriced, and therefore we found that a baguette, ham and fresh salad from the local Spar shop was more than adequate and more than half what you would pay along the beach strip or the main tourist strip.

Being so close to the beach was a definite bonus, its really nice, doesn't get too busy and is dragged clean every morning.

The tourist strip is very much geared for families and is exactly that, very 'touristy' with T-shirt shops and tat shops in abundance - but its doesn't detract too much from the whole resort once you know what to expect! The beach strip in our opinion was much nicer with better bars.....2 euros for a lovely pint we thought was a great price!

We wouldn't hesitate to book the Protur Playa Cala Millor again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get one of the top floor rooms which have a hot tub!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Wilma-Larry
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just returned from a week at the Protur Playa and it was fantastic. The refurbishment has been done to a very high standard and is very impressive. The hotel staff and management are all very friendly and go out of their way to ensure that you have a good holiday. The hotel is situated in a nice peaceful area right on the seafront with a short walk to shops and bars and restaurants. The buffet style restaurant is great with a choice of a first or second sitting, you get allocated a table that you keep for the duration of your stay. The food is well presented and there is a great selection to choose from. One of the best things for me was that men can wear smart shorts for the evening meal this makes it more comfortable and I was able to enjoy my meals.
We will be returning to the hotel again in the very near future.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms appear to have a seaview but some are limited seaview. We payed extra for a full s...
9  Thank ram028
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband booked this hotel as a treat for my 50th birthday, and I can honestly say it was brilliant. The hotel is kept spotlessly clean by wonderful staff that work very hard. The bar staff are all worthy of a mention in particular Francis, Manu, Matt, Oscar and Alberto to name but a few, they were always cheerful and again work very hard to make everyone's holiday that bit more special. Phil the hoilday rep. was always on 'top form' singing his heart out. If there were any problems the kind management were keen to help in any way possible and your enjoyment was first and foremost. Lastly our room was lovely having two balcony's made a big difference, the bed comfy, air conditioning perfect, shower fab. So all in all thankyou to all the staff at Playa, you are a fine team that work so hard and we were grateful.

Room Tip: Worth paying that little bit extra to have perfection.
10  Thank 19greta64
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Nice clean hotel. Nice food for breakfast and evening meal. I'm a bit of a fussy eater and there was plenty for me to choose from. Only a couple of niggly issues - I feel there should be designated smoking areas around the pool, I don't want to be breathing in smoke from the next sunbeds whilst trying to relax. Also change the music that is played round the pool/bar - it's too repetitive and becomes annoying. Other than that a nice hotel with nice staff and good location.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank CatherineJB_11
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We are a middle age fit couple with kids out of the nest living in rainy Norway.. At this stage we have been around some and seen many hotels.
This year we have spent to weeks in an all-inclusive hotel in Cala Millor Mallorca.
We will try and summarize out experience below.
Resort: Cala Millor is an old holiday resort going back to the 50´s. The big difference compared to Gran Canaria, is how spacious it is. You can walk (easily 1-2 hours an then head back to the hotel). The area is flat and it is easy to bike on special bike paths.
Beach is sandy and nice, crowded with families. In general relaxed, family friendly atmosphere, and very touristy. German and English tourist dominated. You can go anywhere with bus. We went with local bus to Palma to see cathedral, another day to the Dragon caves and rented bikes to go to Porto Christo. We also walked through the nearby natural park “Punta Amer”.
Hotel: All-inclusive hotel. Recently renovated, glass balconies (no privacy) but nice rooms. Maybe lacking a bit of character and a bit too “clinical”. Food was ok. Instead of having one big buffet it is divided into replica tables, which made it fresher. Friday night is barbecue night (very good) with Sushi (inexperienced chef made asymmetrical (but good) Sushi. Every day for lunch and dinner you can have meat/ fish freshly fried. Don´t expect thick pieces of meat, but comparable to other hotels this price range. Very friendly personnel.
Cleaning of rooms ok, but maids often forgot to replace instant coffee, replace shampoo etc.
Pool was fine, with a bit too few pool chairs (fight every morning).
Drinks in bar was of very high quality, I learned to appreciate Mojito.
I would say that food, drinks, + friendliness of personnel is their strength.
All in all ok maybe 8 on a scale of 10.
I could imagine going back to go biking, and can recommend hotel.

Room Tip: We had all inclusive and paid extra from sea view and were initially placed on second floor overloo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Norwegiansunlovers
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

For what we paid for this holiday, which was just over £1000 for a couple for the week, on the whole we were very happy. Had seen some brochure prices suggesting that for one person for the week.
We arrived at the hotel at just gone 9pm on our first night & were told we could eat but would have to go straight to the restaurant as it shut at 9.30pm. The restaurant has 2 sittings - we chose the 8.15 sitting for our stay and had until 9.30 to finish our food - at which time food was being cleared from the buffet & everything packed up. Dinner was the usual package holiday scenario although we couldn't fault the quality & selection of the food. We chose to dine in the a la carte restaurant on our last night as this was my husbands birthday. The rep had told us to mention this when booking & we were assured it was 'duly noted'. Whilst not an entitlement, previous reviews & indeed guests we met during our stay referred to a complimentary bottle of cava for special occasions - we didn't receive this which seemed a little unfair. Throughout the week we were there we saw countless guests receiving a complimentary glass of cava at their last meal - again we weren't given this. As mentioned earlier, we didn't regard this as entitlement nor were expecting it but just seems that this was not fair.
The hotel was generally clean and tidy, although signs of wear and tear are being to show as the season gets into full swing - stained carpets, marked walls, sunbeds going grubby, etc. I suspect that in a years time the 'newness' will have well and truly worn off. Rooms were cleaned everyday, and bedding and towels were spotless. However there were tea stains on the floor when we arrived and they were still there when we left which suggests to me the floors weren't being mopped. Footprints on the bathroom floor were visible for days - it seemed a case of making the bed and dropping off some fresh towels.
To get a sunbed with a parasol you did need to 'reserve' early. We could see people from our balcony putting towels out at 7.30am. This didn't bother us much as we aren't sun worshippers and preferred to chill out in the elephant area until about 4pm when we would definitely get a sunbed by the pool.
The bar staff were excellent and all very friendly, especially Manu. Drinks were very reasonably priced. We had a sea view room which was lovely to sit on the balcony before dinner. Good location and no complaints about the entertainment. Decent package holiday and which we struck lucky with due to recent refurbishment.

• Stayed: August 2014
Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa
Hotel Cala Millor Garden
Hotel Cala Millor Garden
#7 of 59 in Cala Millor

Been to Protur Playa Cala Millor Hotel? Share your experiences!