“Great holiday but some disappointments”

Holiday Village Majorca - Protur Monte Safari
Ranked #4 of 65 Hotels in Cala Millor
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great holiday but some disappointments”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Positives - rooms are great but you can see them getting wrecked quickly by sun cream on the beautiful couches!! The staff work so hard especially noted the crèche staff and entertainment team. Food quality was really high, only had one dish which I didn't like but there's so much choice. Anyone who says its monotonous has very limited food taste. Pool and activities are amazing. You cannot do better for your kids for the price.
Negatives - you will struggle if your toddler won't sleep in a buggy. The baths provided will not suffice for 2-3 year olds and don't let your kids in the bathrooms, they will fall on the wet floor which is unavoidable. Do not go here if you want to avoid children, it is pandemonium but that's what you book this type of place for, so they are occupied constantly. There's been complaints about the temp of the water, I agree it was very cold but I think as the weather gets into high summer it will be less so. Would benefit from a small microwave and kitchen sink in the rooms for those who don't want to feed their small ones at the pool and for washing bottles. The restaurant staff work tirelessly to clean up after the mass of kids throwing and dropping food but it still isn't quite enough, the place gets messy very quickly as does the toilets, not sure how you'd fix that especially in high season other than more staff. Probably nothing to do with the hotel itself, more the travel company, but the bus journey home was really really bad, I thought the bus was going to tip over on a few occasions.

We went to the previous holiday village in Ca'an Picafort and it was very similar, unfortunately the entertainment was a bit too similar, exactly the same songs and pool entertainment. Would benefit from changing otherwise people won't go back year after year.

Overall We had a great time with our 10m old but I would not go in high season, it's far too busy. I think there's far too many people for the pool area.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep before 11pm don't get a pool view, otherwise I think all rooms are pretty g...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank CMTGR

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed in June at this hotel in a swim up room. Soo glad we did well worth it. You didn't have the fight of reserving sun beds as we had out own. Hotel is clean and staff bend over back wards for you but I would not rush back for one I like to go some where different and the other I wasn't blown away. The food was very same as was the entertainment was the same I felt I knew what was coming. The cocktails were vile I was very disappointed. We went down to the kids pool at 9am most morning and there was hardly any sunbeds all taken with no one on them. But we only stayed for a while then went to our swim up. I was in room 3102 very private and quiet. It's put me off going to other holiday villages as this was our first.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank S11tcy
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Hi, firstly I will say this is my review based on my honest opinion of the hotel, when I go on holiday if its 5 star then I expect a good standard, I don't expect UK standard 5 Star like The Ritz Hotel with fine dining and a butler service for my room which some people seem to expect when they go abroad, standards are different throughout different countries and I take this into account when reviewing.
The hotel itself was new, clean and fresh, the pools (all 5 of them had something for everyone) yes they were cold but only for that first 30seconds when you jump in then they feel warm once your body acclimatises. Daytime activities available for kids and adults. Every single member of staff from, reps through to cleaners and maintenance staff never passed us by without saying hello. There are actually a few English staff actually working for the hotel here which is unusual but nice to see. The restaraunts were all self service with a good choice of meat, fish, cheese, salads, desserts etc, the staff were very quick to clean away plates etc, very efficient. Some of the desserts looked very pleasant but were a bit bland to taste. Ice cream, lollies, soft drinks , beer and water were all on tap self service throughout each day and night which was excellent. Never had to queue more than a couple of minutes for a drink on a night, some cocktails included and some of the spirits included are branded and not local brands. Beware at the self service soft drinks machine outside as wasps gather there and you risk getting stung every time you try to get a drink so supervise your children at this area to avoid any problems. The evening entertainment for kids was excellent a bit repetitive but the kids still enjoy it. For adults it was ok but I would have preferred more professional acts rather than the entertainment teams singing etc, but that's just my opinion. We stayed in a duplex apartment in block 1 and it was the highest block so our roof terrace was totally private, the views were amazing and the roof terrace was massive with plenty of tables, chairs, 2x sunbeds, a double bed with cushions, a beanbag chair, a shower and of course the jacuzzi bath. This room itself was fresh, clean and modern and comfortable. All in all The duplex was by far the best room we have every stayed in abroad, anyone disappointed by these rooms, well I don't know what they expect but you will find it hard to find better. Only 2 things to mention about the rooms, the cleaner could have done better, none of the glass on the balcony or the sliding doors were cleaned of marks throughout our stay and they didn't venture upstairs onto the roof terrace to see if anything required cleaning, as a result I had to clean out the jacuzzi each time we used it, which doesn't really bother me but when on holiday staying in the most expensive rooms in the complex I would have thought this would have been part of the cleaning service. If you have young children I would recommend the swim academy. We had Hollie who had exactly the right attitude with the kids to build there confidence but also get them to overcome there fears. My daughter who is 5 had 5 x 30min lessons in a group the most kids in any session was 4 the others there was only 2or 3 children so it wasn't far off 1 to 1 coaching. At the end of lesson 5 my daughter swam across the pool completely unaided with her face in the water. We have never seen her do anything like this at home and that's after 12 lessons at the local authority run pool. It makes all the difference the instructor getting in the pool with them and makes a massive difference to confidence levels. WIFI is available free throughout the hotel and in rooms but beware, the connection is totally erratic, and its like going back 7-10 years to dial up and is very slow and frustrating, I know people go on holiday to get away from it all but I like keeping myself up to date and just browsing as I can't lie and read books. All in all a very nice complex and its worth a visit, we would go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank silvershark04
CHESTER, ENGLAND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed here for 10 days from May 12th. I believe a holiday is what you make it and we had a fab time but the holiday we paid for was not a 5 star experience.
Rooms are lovely and clean abd we walked daily onto cala millor town centre ehich was lovely with plenty to do but everything else was disappointing. Food was just warm and repetitive,im not a fussy eater but did not enjoy the food here at all.Not all drinks are free such as baileys for example. You have to pay a supplement. Everything is self serve including the so called a la carte restaurants. Only one bar open in the day which is quite far from the children's pool. Children's pool area is small so imagine getting a seat in peak season would be impossible unless you put your towel down at sunrise!! People let their children scream in the hotel blocks once the entertainment had finished after midnight waking anyone who's already asleep up. This was my first trip to a holiday village so perhaps its just not my cup of tea!
We did not try the spa or gym but my 23 month old son had 3 crèche sessions that I would recommend. The staff seemed lovely. We pre booked these and would recommend doing this as it is quite a few pound cheaper this way.
Like I said earlier we had a fab time as a holiday is what you make it but if you want a bit of luxury on your hols this is not the place to get it. This is not. 5 star hotel .. 3 plus maybe.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank ASHY27
Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

We spent 2 weeks there, last week of May first week of June. It says Holiday village in the brochure, but when we were getting the coach there was some confusion as the locals know it as the monte safari and it is still named that. We had read about the freezing pool on trip advisor, but expected it to have warmed up, it hadn't, but we still went swimming. The kids were really good, it was the parents that didn't want to go in. We did mention it to the Reps, but they said that it wouldn't heated as normally the sun would do that. If you want warm water don't go when we did, although they did say that the weather was particularly cold the 2nd week.
We did use the kids club for about 4 sessions lasting 1 1/2hrs. The staff were very conscious of security and your child had to be signed in and out by you. You also need to register for the clubs, they will give you a form at the welcome meeting. Only the people on the card they give you, are allowed to collect your child. You have to pay if you want your child to attend the chocolate party or the sweetie bingo. My children went to the chocolate party one of the weeks and they loved it. Beware long queues when you book it.
We enjoyed the food. My children loved the lastagne. The staff were quick to help and courteous. If something was dropped and smashed, then several would suddenly appear to clear up. Drinks were very accessible and my children , who are 5 and 6 were able to help themselves. In the day time there were ice-creams, even something like a cheaper version of a magnum, but these ran out quickly. There were cornetto's and little plastic tubs and spoons for people to pour out their own version of Mr softy, In the evenings there was a popcorn machine that cost 2 euro's. this made the popcorn as you waited and was a favourite
i was initially disappointed with the room as we were put on the 5th floor and had a view of the outside of the hotel. As time went on, it was nice to look out on the lights of Calor Millor and we could see the sea. We couldn't hear the noise from the hotel entertainment.Previously on holiday we have had rooms that opened onto the swimming pool and that was easier.. What was in the room looked great and we couldn't hear our neighbours. The bathroom floor did get wet and we had to leave towels down on the floor after a shower so the children didn't slip. The bathroom looked modern, with a hairdryer , they had also left some small toiletries and hand soap and a shower get. The decor was not finished well, it was brown which only accentuated the brush strokes that were badly done .
There was a bus that took you to Callor Millor approx every 15-20mins. The driver was very helpful. We walked a little on the beach, but the front looked as if it was all hotels, I saw market stalls and went away from the beach. It was definately better, but reminded me a little of Great Yarmouth.
You weren't supposed to put your towel down before 09.00 the first week, the second week it was 08.30 and some towels were removed and put on a chair.
There was plenty of chairs, but they could do with having more umbrella's. There was a small pool that was 0.5m, but the bigger pool started at 0.9m approx and got deeper. there was no graduating pool, which meant that my two had to stay in a small pool or we were in with them in the bigger pool. There was a play pool with a few inches of water in and that was freezing. They had swimming lessons that you booked and paid for, there was also a football academy. The field looked great and was at the back of the hotel and the children were ferried there.
The entertainment in the evenings for the children was great as it started at 18.30 until 21.00hrs. The entertainers were energetic and there were 3 songs that were their trademark.
We went on 2 trips, one to see the pirate show-expensive our seats weren't good. My son was hoping for more sword fights, the acrobatics were amazing, but the feat of strenght half way through the show was great to watch. You pay more to go on the captains table , but you get a VIP badge and you get to the front of the queue at the shop as a member of staff will push through. ( we paid for the next seats down) The view must be great though. You will have your photo taken outside and inside at 12 euros a photo. Lots of selling of products. We also went to the aquapark, where we watched a diver feeding the sharks.
We hired a car for 3 days which was great. We travelled to Palma, Pollensa,visited its Sunday market, Porto Cristo, further south to the monastery. There are definately better areas to stay at and we would not go back to Monte Safari if we went back to Mallorca, but we all enjoyed the holiday.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank ww14131007
Bracknell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

We booked this holiday last year after staying at another holiday village where we had a great time. And out holiday this year was just as good, if not better.
I do have a couple of small grumbles, not with the hotel but with first choice as a company. We travelled with 2 children aged 5 & 2, and because of 'policy' we had to sit as a 3 and 1 in one row or as 2 2's as long as we didn't want an isle seat. They refused to leave a window seat by itself and the reason I was given was so that couples could sit together. So I felt like we were being penalised for travelling as a family.
I suppose it wouldn't have been so bad except my eldest daughter was sick for nearly the whole flight, and the youngest turned I to Houdini and tries to escape from her seat every chance she got!!
Anyway, after the flight we found a Thompson rep and were directed to our coach, we boarded and ended up waiting for well over half an hour for other people. The transfer time said 80 minutes and that is probably fairly accurate as we were staying at the last hotel on the route.
When we did arrive at the hotel, it was lovely. We checked in really quickly and the service from the reception staff throughout the holiday was great. We had requested a pool view room, and that's exactly what we got. The room had a lovely big bedroom with 2 big single beds pushed together, and their were 2 smaller beds in the living room which doubled up as sofas. The bathroom had a large walk in shower instead of a bath. there was also a fridge, tea and coffee making facilities. From the balcony we had a perfect view of both the main swimming pools, the mountain and the sea.
The food was very varied and very good, well prepared and very tasty, the girls loved the help yourself drinks and ice creams which they had every chance they got!!
We pre booked sessions in the crèche for our youngest, and the staff were fantastic. She even came home with a memory book which she made with them. The kids club for my older daughter was also great with lots of varied activities which she loved, and again the staff were fantastic. The swim teachers were also great!!
The hotel had its own shop on site which turned out to be cheaper that some of the shops down in the town which I was quite surprised at, and the shop was open quite literally all day.
The hotel provided a free shuttle bus to and from the beach, as it was about a 30 minute walk, which is fine for adults, but not something the children would have coped with.
All in all we had a great holiday with no real concerns or complaints. We would definitely recommend holiday village Majorca!!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank lisajb79
Upplands Väsby, Sverige
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

ABOUT US
Me and my husband travelled with Swedish tour operator Fritidsresor two weeks between 3-17 june 2013 and stayed in a duplex room with all inclusive. We travelled without kids. Travel 1-4 times a year.

HOTEL
It is a big hotel with many guests. Even if it was a big hotel it felt like it was a little hotel in a good way because they made us feel important by listening to our request and being extra helpful and friendly, which goes for the whole staff. That is a rare positive thing on a big hotel. And during my stay they made many improvements.
We estimated that it was 95% families with small children the first week and the majority were British.
Hotel offers free WIFI and it worked overall pretty ok. At some times it was a slow connection.
Hotel offers a free hotel bus that went back and forth between the hotel and beach between 9.30-13.30 and 16.00-21.00. There was room for 22 adults + child according to the text in bus and the waiting time was approx. 10 min. (A cab to Cala Millor cost approx. 4.50 EUR)
Hotel have a great hotel shop were we didn’t miss anything and we were very happy about they selling some branded clothes and bags with fair prices.
The hotel have a SPA. The prices were OK and they were very friendly. Sauna and Jacuzzis were free to use.
Hotel got a courtesy room that can be booked 30 min for free on departure day. Room could improve with some curtains.
There was an ATM close to the reception that worked fine.

ROOM
Stayed in a duplex room in block 2, furthest from the pool/entertainment area. (Room 2511)
The room was spacious and had a separate living area and bedroom. From the living area you had access to a balcony with a relaxing view towards the mountains. Two big closets. One with safety box (not free). TV in the living area and in the bedroom. The living area had a sofa bed, desk, chair and a fridge with free water and a bottle of cava upon arrival. Tray with glass/kettle etc. (Tray could be used to get drinks to the room) The bathroom had a walk-in shower. It felt brand new and the toilet had a soft-close toilet ring. Two big bottles of shower-gel/shampoo. Could be used to make bubbles in the Jacuzzi. Hairdryer. Stairs to the roof terrace which were also very spacious and had some nice furnitures. The roof terrace was not overlooked at all, very private, and had a wonderful view towards the sea and was very quiet.The terrace was sunny all day, in the afternoon it was some shade on the Jacuzzi. The floor got really hot when it is warmer outside, bring some slippers. In the evenings we could hear the show a little in the roof terrace which was good.
We had a connection door to room 2512. We usually didn’t hear our neighbours at all.
Room could improve a little with a full body mirror, some more hangers in the closets and a kingsize bed.

FOOD/SPORTS BAR
We had two dinners each in Italian, Mexican and Mediterranean restaurant which we booked in advance in the reception. (One free visit per week) We enjoyed them all.The Mediterranean didn’t have self-service, didn’t have buffet and were a restaurant for only adults.The Italian had a buffet and we could also order pizza/pasta. It is also open during lunch. The Mexican had a small buffet. The buffet restaurant had a variety of dishes during lunch/dinner. It was OK and what we expected. Great grillbar which were open at lunchtime. Could improve with self-service on beer/wine. (Only had soft drinks) The pool restaurant where open at breakfast and lunch. Sports bar was nice but all the TV:s could only show the same channel. If you changed the channel you changed them all.

POOL/BEACH
Pool towels from the reception (deposit 15 Euro/each). Free change 3 times a week for free. A small fee if you change them more than 3 times.
Free bus to the beach. Very close to where the bus stops you can find a SPAR and Burger King. The beach had a boardwalk with a special part for bicycles who you could rent.
The beach was wide and quiet. You could bath without shoes I would say. Just watch out for some few big stones. The rent for umbrella was 4 Euro and beds 4 Euro/each. The water temperature where 23 degrees 17:th june.
Water temperature where 30 degrees in mainpool around 4 pm 17:th june.

STAFF/ENTERTAINMENT
This hotel really got a staff out of the ordinary. They are all so helpful, polite, friendly and happy and make you feel special and always want to cheer you up. That goes for all of the staff, the waiters in all restaurant, those who work in the reception, kitchen, sports bar, with maintenance, the bus driver etc. and also for the management team who often were visible and talking to their guests. I want to especially thank guest manager Criana Vernon who made our holiday extra enjoyable by listen to our request and made them come true. We appreciate it a lot!!
Since we don’t have kids we never got in touch with the entertainment team other than watching the show in the evenings. My god, they really work hard and the show were great and I really liked the big screen in the background. Seems like the hotel have invested a lot in the entertainment.

OUTSIDE HOTEL
We rented a car via Reception for two days and manage to go all around Mallorca and visit different places. Recommend it.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL?
Of course I would! Place this staff and management in hell and they would soon make it paradise ;-) We were prepared that it would be a lot of children and could get a little noisy, I would still recommend this to everyone going without kids. Especially with a duplex room.

FULL AND MORE REVIEWS, INFO AND PICTURES
Visit Facebook group - Holiday Village Majorca. That site is managed by a team of volunteer administrators who have no affiliation to First Choice or the Protur Group. Helped me out a LOT before and during my travel!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Protur Biomar Gran Hotel & Spa
Hotel Marins Playa
Hotel Marins Playa
#13 of 65 in Cala Millor

Been to Holiday Village Majorca - Protur Monte Safari? Share your experiences!