“terrible place that could be so much better”

Holiday Village Majorca - Protur Monte Safari
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Cala Millor
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed here in June 2013 with my husband and 3 year old daughter. The hotel itself is lovely, clean and the rooms are very modern, we booked a swim up room but didnt realise until we arrived it wasnt swim up as we thought more like a shared pool with the neighbours which gave little privacy when the neighbours kept swimming past our veranda when we wanted a quiet sunbathe!

The major down sides to this hotel are the place was so heaving and if you were not down the pool at 6am to stick towels on the beds you were snookered!

The food was diabolical for all inclusive I was suprised that there wasnt food on offer 24/7 only at certain time slots during the day. We ate in the main restaurant buffet style , mexican buffet style again and italian, the italian was the best but even this was very poor it was allegedly served so you pick off a menuyes the pizzas were cooked fresh but if you wanted pasta you went up tothe servery where a 'chef' term used loosely! dipped precooked pasta in warm water to heat up then slopped a sauce on!!!, during the day the best food was the kebab hut by the pool & this was the best food all holiday! so basically if kebab is the best meal you get on an all incl holiday some major improvement is needed!! We ended up eating out several night out of 7 due to it being so bad we found some fantastic restaurants on the front for tapas well worth getting out ofhthe holiday village.

The next major issue I have is the level of noise on an evening yes people are on holiday and stay out late but just because you are on holiday it doesnt mean you lose all manners and consideration for others at 1, 2 and 3am in the morning with adults & kids screaming and shouting up the corridors as they are all tiled corridors and very noisy and echo!! This is a family hotel and some peole need to appreciate that some of us have smaller kids that go to bed earlier than them most nights my 3 year old was woken several times.

The pools in June were absolutely baltic my daughter used the roind baby pool but was blue with teeth chattering after half an hour, there is a pool undercover which is heated but its quite small and if it wasnt someone puking in it one day it was a turd floating the next!

Overall this place has lovely facilities but is spoilt in so many ways more like Butlins abroad full of chavs! I joined a facebook group for this hotel prior to going and the reviews were all 'this place is fantastic' and 'best holiday we have had' all I can say is these people must have been somewhere different or eat really crap food. I also found that if you said anything negative about the place on this facebook page you were hounded about your comments so much so that whilst I was there I was getting dirty looks from other people in the group who were also there! very bizarre behaviour so beware if you do check reviews on these facebook pages!!

I would not return in a million years!!

Room Tip: if you are unfortunate enough to book this hotel go for a swim up room round the back or a roof top...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank helenmarco33
There are newer reviews for Holiday Village Majorca - Protur Monte Safari

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Do not go there !!!!!!!!

Had safe stolen all our belongings passport ipad cash tickets purse house keys by a mbr of staff
Hotel didn't care still waiting for outstanding money which is owed to us. WARNING don't go there

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
27  Thank susanBirmingham
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

What a dissapointing holiday. Having booked for a 12 night 'luxury' 5 star family experience we felt totally ripped off. Paid almost £3,000 for myself, husband and 2 year old son through First Choice (so my review will be more toddler biased). To give some balance, I've highlighted the positives and negatives:

Positives:

* Nicely decorated and modern rooms
* Ok selection of food, a bit repetitive at lunchtime but not a complaint, more an observation.
* Great splash pools for toddlers albeit very cold! We didn't have good weather (travelled in early September) so without the sun's heat, it really made a difference. Bothered my son initially but he managed to enjoy himself
* Good mini disco and generally hard working and friendly animation team

Negatives:

* Poor housekeeping service - our room wasn't cleaned daily and the cleaners didn't bother to remove any cutlery/plates/glasses etc taken from the restaurants to our rooms. Seemed to be an expectation that we would return these ourselves! Not practical with young kids
* Wasps and drinks stations - wasps absolutely all over these and frequently stuck to the ice cream machine. Also, very irritating to have to re-use shop bought or mini bar supplied water bottle as THE water bottle for the entire holiday. Only tiny plastic cups provided
* Really uncomfortable beds, so hard that I woke up with back ache every morning
* Not 'on the beach' - appreciate that I should probably have done more research here but having to use the courtesy bus and pay for loungers/umbrellas etc at the local beach in Calla Millor again became a slight irritation
* Steps and walls with potentially dangerous drops everywhere - not a problem if your kids or older but for toddlers its not ideal

Would I return? No, purely because I can get better value for money/luxury etc travelling 5 star AI to Turkey (which is what we'll be doing this year). This holiday village feels like an existing 3 star that's had a limited revamp and exceptionally good marketing campaign to convince the public that its a 5 star. Believe me, its not.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Ackeeandsaltfish
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is not a Hotel for children under 3. Too many steps and little walls for them to fall off. Some walls have high drops. Steps absolutely everywhere. We would not recommend this for a family with young children. Themed nights are brutal. No atmosphere so you wouldn't even know it was a themed night. Antz in our room.. We had to ask to be moved. No bath so had to buy a blow up boat for our 2 kids to wash in. 5 star no way..We went with a 20 month old and a 4 year old,,, So take my advise book somewhere else if you have a baby who just wants to run around because this is a place that's in all diff levels so Steps everywhere. One child actually pushed my 20 month old down some steps and his face was all bruised This was new last year so we were the ginny pigs. Went May 2013.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank lynn m
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying at the Monte safari/ first choice holiday village. Confused? Yes so where we when we arrived. So to the rooms..

Clean yes, fridge yes, nice bathroom yes acceptable yes....... 5 star NO!!

Sofa beds well yes they are sofas that you sleep on, not pull out sofa beds.
1 bottle of water in fridge which you have to refill yourself continually.
Water in the showers leaks everywhere which considering the flooring is tiled this is a bit slippery to say the least.

So the hotel.. Well if your thinking 5 star luxury forget it!

Think pontins in the sun and your pretty much there. Very good if you want to send the kids of to the clubs all day, stuff your face with food and drink and listen to the continual tanoy bleating out the reps games! But if you thought you might be treated to a possibly more refined experience then please avoid this place.

Even the sign outside which boasts 4 stars so why are first choice selling as 5 stars? The pools Are not heated so we are restricted to the inside pool which is a small pool with a plastic cover over it!

Unfortunately we booked this a year ago of plan so to speak on the understanding that it was a all ready existing holiday village that was having a revamp.. It wasn't. It was a 4 star hotel that has been painted that's all (don't be fooled by the Cleve pictures) it's not a holiday village it has the layout of prison blocks with pools in the middle.

And if your thinking of going to the beach then I have to tell you that Cala millor is very very dated at best still 70s style everywher!

If your expecting alcudia or Porte pollensa then you are going to be disappointed I'm afraid.

Overall a good 3 star or possibly 4 star but Not I repeat Not a 5 star hotel at all.

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank Swilter35
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Where should I start - with a positive I suppose. My daughter loved it here. She is 7 and loves swimming and dancing - so, the pool by day and ifive live in the evening. She wasn't interested at all in the kids clubs so stayed with us so she could swim more, however as soon as it was time for Gav and his AMAZING entertainment team, she came to life. A special thanks must go to John who really got My daughter to join in, but Gavin, John, Ben, Belle and Sammy were all great!
Negatives -
Our duplex room was lovely but wasted as the sun didn't appear on the roof.
Also not in walking distance to the beach and that was really disappointing.
The food - it was awful and as I've read in previous reviews, I am not at all fussy. The food was so bland and having to wait 25 mins for a stir fry because that's the only thing that tastes Ok.....The other choices were chips, over cooked pasta and under cooked paella.
Fried breakfast every morning with pastries and undercooked pancakes.
It just seemed like Butlins in the sun and I don't really think that £2500 for one week justifies that. We ended up spending another £400 to eat out in cala millor so we could have decent food.
There is no way that his should ever be rated a 4 or 5* - it's 3 at its best and that's generous.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Daley1206
Reviewed 3 November 2013

It was a last minute booking and neither me nor my friend were disappointed.

We got a friendly welcome. Cava at the ready. Check in was fairly quick and he was informative.

Yes there were children but I think with us going slightly out of season they weren't a problem.

There were plenty of sun loungers for all so no having to get up at the crack of dawn to put your towels down. I can imagine in peak times when the title was more full, this might not be the case! The pool area was good though. Don't think I've been anywhere where the pool is quite so big. Yes it is fresh but once you get moving it was fine. It's a good idea having the sheltered, heated pool.

Around the pool there were plenty of places to get a drink and snacks throughout the day. Loved the mini milk ice creams! Blast from the past.

We both thought there was plenty of choice for all the meals in the main restaurant and the quality was perfectly good enough. I thought the Italian restaurant was the best. The other two were nice but nothing special. In the Mediterranean I found we were a bit rushed from one course to the next. The fajitas in the Tex Mex restaurant were lovely.

We were in the basic room and couldn't fault it. Had two tvs, plenty of wardrobe space, complimentary safe and was nice having a lounge area with a tv so not confined to just one room. The air conditioning would be the only thing that didn't seem to be the most efficient.

It was great having the use of the spa area and for free. This ended our days sunbathing off nicely.

The evening entertainment was fab. Best I've ever seen in a hotel. The programme was varied and kept everybody entertained.

There was a wide selection of alcoholic drinks included.

Overall a great week.

Protur Sa Coma Playa Hotel & Spa
Globales Bouganvilla
Globales Bouganvilla
#14 of 29 in Sa Coma

Been to Holiday Village Majorca - Protur Monte Safari? Share your experiences!