“A great kids palace”

Holiday Village Majorca - Protur Monte Safari
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Cala Millor
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks with the wife and son aged 6. Some great positives with the space in the room, excellent air con, I question having walk in showers for a family orientated resort as it turned into a skating rink when wet and soapy.
Resort has some great positives, warm welcome with a glass of fizz or OJ. Clean and tidy everywhere, food excellent and staff /reps very friendly, bar staff not the usual AI 2 drinks per visit religiously stuck to. Good choice of drinks and option to purchase others for minimal €.
One big concern is the "honey bees" that allegedly don't sting but I seen two people get stung so a bit scary for kids and adults alike.
Entertainment repetitive where totally kids orientated, but credit where credit due the First Choice staff do a great job and always have a smile and a hello for everybody, until about 9.30pm when it moves onto more grown up but also bed time for younger population so seen many families, including my own departing the scene around this time.
Swimming pools crowded especially around activity, toddler and splash pools, need to be up early to reserve sun beds 7.30am latest or it will be a struggle at these pools. Shuttle bus ran every 10 mins or so to beach, can also walk in about 15 mins.
Overall good quality, but felt there was not enough pool space and would have liked an outside bar away from the main entertainment area.

Room Tip: I was in room 1011 at the rear of block 1 close to everything, but not facing entertainment which wa...
2  Thank stevsh
There are newer reviews for Holiday Village Majorca - Protur Monte Safari

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is modern and bright and the 1 bedroom apartment was spacious and comfortable, although the fridge is a bit small for a family of four. The walls are thin and we could hear our neighbour screaming at her kids late at night for the first few nights, but a quick conversation with the staff on reception and peace was restored! The First Choice reps were excellent and kept the kids happy and entertained from morning until night. Disappointed with fellow guests who seemed to think it acceptable to leave rubbish around the pool, even though there were plenty of bins, and some mothers seemed to think that making their children eat hamburgers and ice cream in the pool was a sensible idea!
If you want a holiday which is child centered, then this is the place to go! If you want peace and quiet or something for adults then you should avoid. As nice as the hotel was, we would not return, mainly due to the slobbish, filthy guests who treated the place like a rubbish dump.

Room Tip: If you want a noisy room pay for a pool view. Ask for a high floor and you won't hear fellow gu...
4  Thank RebeccaCG
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have just returned from a 2 week All Inclusive stay at the Holiday Village Majorca. We are in our early 30's and have a Boy aged 10 and a girl aged 3. Firstly we had to book our holiday due to personal reasons at the last minute, we have been to the resort of Cala Millor/Cala Bona & Sa Coma many times so when we saw this hotel we felt we could incorporate a holiday in a resort we like with a Holiday Village experience for the children especially our boy. When trying to book the holiday it would appear 1 day then would say sold out at the payment page until 1 week before at it said there was 1 room left on the dates we wanted it was a Swim Up Room to the handsomely priced tune of over £6000. We are not in the habit of over paying but felt there wasn't much else that suited us and we work hard all year so bit the bullet and went for it.

Upon arrival the hotel is quite a way back from the main resorts which we were expecting, check in was ok, pretty quick what you would expect I suppose. Went straight down to our room, which was modern and spacious enough for a family of 4 with young children, the swim up however was a little disappointing as you share it with the room next door and its not massive so depending on your neighbours could be a bit awkward, we had quite good neighbours so wasn't too bad however the swimming pool and balcony didn't get any sun until 3pm so was absolutely freezing and for all the extra money and 3hrs of sun not really worth it at all.

It was around dinner when we arrived so first thing was get some lunch we had heard people say good things about the kebab hut so off we went when we got their the place was swarming with WASPS there was no way we could have eaten there especially as myself and my daughter (3) hate them, so we thought oh perhaps its just there we'll try the outdoor snack area but no everywhere is the same all the drinks stations are covered with them, all the bins around the pools it is terrible. For the whole 2 weeks we didn't get drinks from any of the outdoor drink stations and resorted to buying them from the shop, because sometimes if we went to the outdoor bar to order cokes etc bar staff said we had to use the drink stations and the kids were too scared and so was I to be honest. If you drank round the pool or ate they would come you were constantly on edge. It might not be like this for everyone but if you don't like wasps then your screwed and to be quite frank for all the money we paid I think its something you shouldn't have to deal with in fact forget how much you've paid the wasp situation is unacceptable and it ruined it for my family.!!

The food is ok a bit repetitive after a week and the theme nights apart from the Spanish one were a bit naff, the cook to order food was nice but in the end with small children it wasn't feasible to be waiting 20-25mins for a stir fry etc, so just stuck to main buffet. We didn't bother with the pre-bookable restaurants as I'd heard that many bad reviews we gave it a miss so can't comment on that. We did eat out quite a few nights though but we like to go into resort and that suited us so was personal choice really. The breakfast was good only meal the kids would eat anything other than chips!!

The 1 thing I have to say about this holiday that probably saved it from being the holiday from hell was the First Choice Entertainment staff (Cameron, Lisa, Ryan, Shaun & Clare). They do an absolutely 1st class job, they work extremely hard and make the nights really enjoyable and entertaining, they had us dancing and singing and laughing almost enough to make us temporarily forget about the wasps.

Also the football coaches and swimming coaches are really good and are an asset to first choice.

Around the middle of the holiday the place was heaving and the hotel seemed to struggle, 1 night there was no toilet roll in the ladies toilets, the bins were over flowing, the toilets were blocked and over flowing there was popcorn boxes and popcorn everywhere and there was a terrible smell for 2nd half of the holiday at night that used to come in waves from the drinks machines, it was that unbearable 1 night we had to leave our drinks and go to bed.

The biggest bug bear was the sun lounger situation I know all hotels are renowned for it but my goodness. You work all year and have to set your alarm to get up and got to work, the very last thing you want to do on your holiday is set the alarm at 7am to go and put the towels out!! Well mark my words if you don't you wont get 1 especially if you want 4 together. At first we were like were not doing this its a joke but you have no choice. There are signs everywhere saying you are not allowed to reserve sunbeds before 8am so no word of a lie people got up as early as 6.30am and sit on them until 8am so they can get a sunbed and the best thing about it is 50% don't even go on them until 12pm onwards, Its a joke it took us 13 days to get a sunbed on the front row round the quieter pool and there was no way we'd have ever got 1 round the activity pool for our older son so he was disappointed all the time and having to set our alarm every day and not being able to relax was horrid. We took ourselves off to the beach a lot instead.

All in all this Holiday Village has the potential and the ingredients (with the First Choice Entertainment Staff) to be brilliant but whats happening is your paying crazy money and they use the entertainment staff to paper over the cracks of a 3 star (at best) hotel. You either need to improve the hotel and hygiene and wasps etc and up your game or drastically lower your prices.

We are a young couple who like to have a good time and we are not stuck up or highly strung but I feel this review is based on fact and a fair reflection of out stay at the Holiday Village. We did look past all the gripes and made the best of it as we had no choice, but have coming home feeling disappointed.

I am hoping this review will help improve the hotel so others can go and enjoy their well earned holiday as they should be able to.

Will I go to a Holiday Village again, Maybe!! Will I pay that much money again, NEVER!!

9  Thank Owls12014
Proturhotels, Director Comercial at Holiday Village Majorca - Protur Monte Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

We thank you for your comments. We have tried various solutions for the wasps and are now installing glass partitians which we think will now solve the problem. The issue of sunbeds we are also addressing. We are pleased that you enjoyed the entertainment. We are sorry about the negative elements that you highlight and rest assured that we will be looking into them but trust that on the whole you and your family enjoyed your stay.s

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is clean,we'll maintained and is a 5 star hotel when compared to other all inclusive kids club hotels. It is not 5 star if you are comparing this to "Claridges". Obviously the standard and the price reflect this.
The food, drinks and ice cream choices are excellent, although the Mediterranean restaurant was very poor and a bit of a let down.
Entertainment was average,some nights better than others,
The hotel is better for under 10's, not much for teens to do.
Although we enjoyed our holiday we felt it was too far from the town and could have done with an outdoor bar at the far end of the complex away from the entertainment.
This was our first time in an all inclusive and thought it good value and would do it again , but probably not at a holiday village

Room Tip: 1415 was excellent
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I'm finally getting round to writing a review of our brilliant second visit to the Holiday Village Majorca! We stayed from 9th July - 22nd July in a one bedroom apartment with our two girls aged 3 (turned 4 while we were on holiday) and 5. We really loved our holiday again this year - in fact, some things were even better than last year - railings had been put around the high wall near the entertainment and around the baby circular pool and a great new jacuzzi/relax area had been added.
Our trip was brilliant from start to end. Cava on arrival, helpful, friendly staff, especially the eternally lovely Demi who called across reception "great to see you all again Melanie" (how on earth does she remember everyone from year to year?).
Our girls went to kids' club every morning at 10 - 11.30am and we found there were no problems with queues and the girls loved all the activities. They also went to the Widget parties at the club and went to the chocolate party and sweetie bingo on two evenings. This was great for them but also for us as we went to the adult only night in the Med restaurant on one of the nights!
We had no problems with getting sunbeds, loved the selection of food, ice creams and entertainment. Claire from the entertainment team was such a lovely person and really made Georgia and Amelia feel so special - they still talk about you all the time Claire! It was also brilliant to see Ryan! We loved Ryan at the Bouganvilla in Sa Coma when Amelia and Georgia were tiny and it was so brilliant to see him again. Lisa, Cameron and Shaun were also so friendly and fun, and brilliant dancers! The girls completely fell in love with Nick the swimming instructor and ended up having three one-to-one lessons with him (worth every penny as they can now both swim independently and couldn't before!)
I could ramble on forever but I'll finish with a few tips that we found really useful and we got them from this site last year before we visited for the first time! 1. Bring bath mats for the slippy shower - bathrooms are gorgeous but shower tray is big and is slippy for kids. 2. Bring an extension lead with five or six plugs on it - only one travel adaptor required and you have six plugs to charge all the phones and tablets! 3. Hire the towels from reception (change three times per week and save space in your suitcase). 4, Hair-driers in bathrooms are fine so don't waste space bringing yours!
Have a brilliant time everyone. By the way...we went into Thomson and booked for next year - that's the highest recommendation I could give this place! Melanie.

Room Tip: Block one is great - close to everything but still quiet at night for the kids.
4  Thank Mel310
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Reading the other reviews first thing to say is if you want five star luxury food and wine don't book a four star all inclusive?!! We wanted a 4star family holiday and got it. We would go again and would recommend for families with kids 12 and under.

We booked last minute for family of 4. Kids are 10 and 14. 10 year old loved the pool and footy and evening entertainment. Too cool for clubs! 14 yr old loved free wifi!

Room - as we were last minute and had no choice we were worried about 'twin room' allocated so very pleased with the large room with separate bedroom. Kids had single beds which doubled as lounge chairs and were perfect. Very clean and modern. Plenty storage. Air con didn't go lower than 18 which wasn't cool enough and meant having it on over night which kept me awake.

Food - buffet had plenty choice but over course of a week was slightly repetitive despite themes and especially if you don't eat meat. Quality was as expected. No problems. Yes you waited for omelette but who wants one that isn't cooked?! Clean and tidy and always somewhere to sit in busy periods. We only had one restaurant night out - the Italian - less said about that the better really. Limited choice, poor/confusing service, wished we'd gone to buffet!!

Kids Football academy and adult footy every other day on 4g pitch was top class and way beyond expectations. Played in a memorable 11aside game v staff rep team!! Lads will be lads!

Evening entertainment - is outside and was average. Mix of reps performances and outside acts. All inclusive wine and beer probably helped! Things for me was the music was never anything other than 60s to 80s. Reps should have been dancing to more modern tunes. Don't be late from dinner if you want a seat.

Reps - were fab, professional, fun and friendly. Hotel staff same.

Location - it's approx 1 mile from cala millor beach/resort. Nothing to do in immediate vicinity but not really an issue. Walked a couple of days in full heat which was fine. Also Used free shuttle bus no problems. Tried gokart track on the walk which was fun. Bit pricey. Beach and sea clean. Cala millor shops/bars typical of Spanish sea side. German focus.

Don't go here for the gym it is poor, though does have enough to rumble up a work out.

Don't go here for games room - one pool table and one table tennis and a very large extremely hot conservatory.

Pool - great. Despite signs everywhere that towels placed before 8am will be removed - they aren't. We stuck to rule for 3 days but couldn't get decent place and if you want a good poolside position need to be there by 740 and sit tight til 8.

Insects - I'm not an apiologist so don't know if the species occupying some of the sugary drinks machines were wasps or bees but we just went the extra few steps to machines where there weren't any. No stinging. No problems.

Do go here for a fun family holiday in the Spanish sun with all inclusive style buffet food and drink

Room Tip: Booked the last available standard 'twin room' which was much bigger than we expected for fa...
8  Thank VisitBolton
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had a week in July, I was a bit nervous to begin with as I am pregnant and we also have a 1 year old daughter. I picked the resort and for the money I was hoping it was going to be well worth it and my husband would not be disappointed with my choice. I picked this resort especially for my 1 year old daughter and I can honestly say I am so glad we did, she absolutely loved it and we loved seeing her so happy and playing in the little pools. We booked a suite which was not that much more. We had a room at the back of the resort which faced the car park and a field with goats in it. I am so glad we got this room as this was more quiet than a pool view room which you can see and hear the evening entrainment from. had my daughter been a bit older it may not have mattered as much as we would have been amongst it all but she was in bed by 9 so it suited us. The suite was well worth booking, it just give you that extra room, more wardrobe space and freedom to move around. The fridge was really handy as I put her fresh milk (from the well equipped hotel shop downstairs, V handy!) in there for her bottles and just heated it in the room with hot water from the kettle and a metal cup.

I can't fault the pools, plenty of choice. The toddler splash pools were the best fun. My daughter loved it in there and everyone else in the resort loved it too, lots of happy children and happy mums and dads. We had no problems getting sun lounges we just walked down at 8:30 to put towels down and then went to breakfast from there.

The food was great, plenty of choice, probably a 3.5 - 4 out of 5. I personally love buffet food but this may not be the favourite of everyone. Every night has a different theme such as Indian, Mexican, Italian, English. I personally wouldn't bother with the restaurants which were the tex mex, italian and the mediterranean. As there is a theme night in the main restaurant you need not go to these. It really depends on what you want, the mediterranean restaurant had waiter service so if you didn't fancy the whole serve yourself buffet then give it a go. I am pregnant and I can honestly say I was totally confident about the food, I was worried before as you do about going abroad and bugs but this place is so clean and has very high standards. love the alcohol hand cleaner as you go in but if you lick your fingers during your meal then it really leaves an awful taste in your mouth! (I licked my fingers because I was feeding my little girl! :) )
You have food served all day from bars and the kebab hut, you will definitely not get hungry here.
I will say that there are lots of honey bees on the self serve drinks machine. They personally didn't bother me one little bit. They are very placid and do not sting, poor things just want a bit of sugar, they are protected so cannot be exterminated. Nothing to worry about here.

The Staff are so happy, friendly, helpful and can't do enough for you. We left a tip for the Kebab man on your last day he was really lovely and friendly. They all are so I give 10 out of 10 for staff including an excellent 5* hotel reception team! very impressed.

If you want to go to the beach then there is a bus run by the hotel every 15 mins. The bus driver is lovely. We walked to the beach a few times its not that far really but great to go for a walk to get baby off to sleep in the buggy. Loads of little shops, restaurants typical resort really nothing to shout out about which is majorly different.

I can't comment about the evening entertainment, what we did see was great for tiny little ones around 7 pm we only stayed for an hour or so and it was good.

I think this covers everything, its a very clean, well presented and decorated resort. You will not want for anything. I hope this helps make your decision on deciding to go. You'll have fun and your kids will love it!!

Room Tip: Suite - we chose a suite which was excellent well worth the little bit extra money we paid especiall...
6  Thank GayleShillings
Protur Sa Coma Playa Hotel & Spa
Globales Bouganvilla
Globales Bouganvilla
#14 of 29 in Sa Coma

Been to Holiday Village Majorca - Protur Monte Safari? Share your experiences!