“great break away” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Cala Ratjada
Londonderry Northern Ireland
“great break away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel in August for five nights all inclusive. The staff were very helpful and the rooms very clean! The meals were tasty and varied! There were plenty of sunbeds and the view was spectacular! The town itself was busy! Would say very little English speaking tourists! All in all would return to this hotel! We checked out @ 12 but were not flying till midnight and the hotel supplied showers & towels to wash! The free WiFi was an added bonus.

Room Tip: Quiet hotel but beautiful surroundings with nice shopping in town!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ali421

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Wrexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We booked this hotel last minute for a very reasonable price. The room was clean, and just about has a sea view from the balcony, although we had not specifically booked one. The area and the hotel are visited mostly by Germans, but we didn't really have a problem with this. In fact it was nice to be in an area not overrun with 'English' pubs! The deal we had was half board with wine included with the meal, and they did do 'all inclusive' Be warned though - we are not wine connoisseurs but found the wine to be of mediocre quality. The meals were buffet style but there was always plenty of choice of reasonable quality food so we didn't have a problem finding something we liked. Its not cordon bleu cooking but then we didn't expect it to be. The hotel is in a very convenient location if you want access to a snorkeling bay or a diving school but there was virtually no beach there - not a problem fro us but if you wanted a beach there was a very pleasant one a few hundred metres away. However this was very crowded when we were there at the end of July. The only problem we had was the usual one of people leaving belongings on the sun beds so that most of the time there were no spare ones. Really frustrating and frankly selfish.It's a pity the hotel didn't do anything to address this. We have stayed in one hotel were they provided towels for the pool and any left lying on the beds without occupants clearly around were cleared away. This worked well but puts an added cost on the hotel and shouldn't be necessary!In spite of this, we would go there again if the price was right.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Proudgran
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

My friends and I (4 middle aged females!) stayed here for a week at the end of September on an upgraded package that we found through Travelzoo. It was much better than we could have hoped for. The resort itself was lovely and the hotel was more than adequate, where all the staff were extremely friendly, rooms were cleaned to a high standard and the food (whilst not everything was to our taste) choices were plentiful enough to be able to eat somehting you gancied at every mealtime. The omelettes in the morning were particularly good. We really enjoyed the whole experience, so much so I would like to go again next year.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LBaxter49
east kilbride
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

This is not a 4 star hotel. Maybe a 3.The hotel itself is very clean. Staff are pleasant. The downside to this hotel is the restaurant. It needs to be completely re-organised. Bread is no where near butter. When things run out like coffee or simple things like glasses, they are not replaced; They actually ran out of white wine one evening. The gentleman who seems to be in charge of the restaurant, Antonio, was completely unhelpful. Surely running out of wine in the restaurant would not be a problem - simply get some from their bars downstairs as they seemed to have plenty when we left dinner. Food was very bland. No way do you get served if you happened to arrive minutes before the cut off time. As for Cala Ratjada - this is a really lovely resort but would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are good but restaurant lets it down
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank noreen s
Holyhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay at this Hotel in October. The room was adequate with large wardrobe and space for clothing. The bathroom was fine, good power shower and well lit. All the staff were helpful and friendly, especially Francesca on the reception desk, who went out of her way to try and help us book excursions. The restaurant was very well run considering the large turn over of diners each evening. There was a great choice of meals, I'm sure every taste had been catered for! There was even an area at the back of the dining area where you could watch your omelettes or meat being cooked to your requirement. All the public areas were spotlessly clean as was the swimming pool. I was impressed to see they even employed a life guard who patrolled the pool area, a point all parents with young children would find reassuring.
Yes, it is a long transfer from the airport, but being positive, we had a "free" tour of the Island and the location of the hotel was well worth it. As pointed out by previous reviewers, the majority of visitors to this part of the Island are German, but like us they are on holiday and this did not affect the quality of our stay, besides which I managed to pick up a bit of their language as a bonus!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dotmag
Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

This could be a really good hotel; the location is outstanding and almost all of the staff are very friendly and helpful, although the hotel is very orientated towards German guests and no information is provided to English speaking guests. We only discovered the day before leaving (from a german guest) that we could have hired hotel towels for the pool for a deposit of €10 a week; wish we'd been told about that when we arrived!

The food was varied and plentiful, though there would be significantly few choices for vegetarians; some of the food could have been hotter but the grill area was excellent and provided omelettes in the morning and grilled meats at dinner. If you weren't staying on an all-inclusive basis, the choice for lunch at the pool bar was dire; ham and cheese sandwiches on sliced white bread was the only option.

The rooms were quite spacious and the bathrooms are modern with a good shower (though the shower curtain continually stuck to me and the shower tray was very shallow and overflowed to a degree each time. Bed springs were a bit uncomfortable and I had back ache by the third day which didn't go until I got home. The hotel advertises free wifi throughout the hotel but this isn't accurate; it is great around reception and the pool etc.... but this hotel spreads over a very large site and the free wifi does not reach all rooms. If the wifi in your room is important to you, you'd need to ask for a room fairly near the reception area. Even the dining room had areas not covered by the wifi.

My main problem was that I had a major issue while at the hotel and they didn't deal with it at all well. The test of a good hotel is how they respond when something goes wrong and I'm afraid this hotel failed miserably. The fault appeared the first night I slept in the room; I had turned the air-conditioning on before going to bed and was awoken around 1am with water pouring from the vent in the hallway. The floor was flooded and very slippy; I switched off the aircon and it slowed to a steady drip so I used all the towels to mop up the flood and soften the noise of the dripping. I slept very badly that night as the room was very hot without the aircon (despite it being October it was very hot).

I reported the fault to reception early the next morning and was assured it would be sorted out. I was told later that day that the engineer had fixed it but within an hour or so of switching on the aircon, it began to leak again. This went on for two days, I repeatedly reported that the problem wasn't fixed and was then told the engineer had mended it. Despite a request to move rooms, I was told the hotel was full and this wasn't possible. On the third day, I pleaded with reception to move me as I had barely slept now for several days and the laminated floor in the hallway was becoming damaged and beginning to curl with the constant drip and being covered with wet towels. The receptionist brought out a sheet which indicated that there were currently two vacant rooms; I was given the key to one of them but when I arrived at the room, it was clearly occupied. I went back back to reception, informed the guy (who was sitting in the back office when I arrived) and asked for the key to the other vacant room. He said there was no other vacant room and I asked (quite reasonably, I felt) about the other room on the list I'd seen (which was still lying on the reception desk). Instead of simply explaining that the room had just been taken, he proceeded to shout at me, stating that if he said there was no other room, then there was no other room. He rifled through papers on the desk and aggressively thrust a receipt in my face which showed that the room had been paid for shortly before. There is never any reason for a staff member to speak to a guest in this manner and I was so tired that it reduced me to tears as I felt as if I was never going to be able to change my room.

Another vacant room was identified at this point and I asked for help with my case as the lift wasn't working and the room was on the 3rd floor; I use a walking stick and could not have taken my case up the stairs. With a very disgruntled manner, he took my bag up to the room. At no point did anyone apologise to me for the inconvenience of having the problem of the floor flooding and having to change rooms; I was made to feel as if I was the inconvenience.

I had travelled with friends who were in an adjacent room initially; we'd requested rooms with a sea view and I ended up on a different floor from them, as far from reception (and the way out of the hotel) as possible, which meant no wifi at all. Because of the steep slope the hotel is built on, my room was on the 3rd floor but actually on the road level and just yards from a busy corner where coaches dropped off and picked up at all hours of the day, for several nearby hotels. I had to keep the curtains closed at all times as people were passing and sitting waiting for coaches just a couple of yards outside my room and the whole experience has certainly affected how I perceive this hotel.

I travel a lot for work and stay in hotels a lot; occasionally things do go wrong but I accept this and have found most hotels try very hard to remedy any problems as quickly as possible. I have never experienced being spoken to in the manner I was by this particular man in any hotel and I can't imagine it happening anywhere else I have stayed. A smile and an apology would have gone a long way to making me feel better about the whole situation and would have cost nothing.

I'm not going to suggest that you avoid this hotel but I hope that nothing goes wrong while you're there if you do use it!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms with a sea view are fairly near reception; if you want to ensure wifi, I'd ask...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Linda1892
Stretford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel in October and whilst it looks like a typical holiday hotel the looks don't do the place justice. Its outstanding points are the location and the helpful staff.
This hotel has a down side with the restaurant in that it doesn't cater for vegetarians and the food is often over cooked, however its difficult to provide a buffet that satisfies 300-400 diners. However there were many young families there enjoying the freedom of a buffet.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms at the front with a magnificent view over the bay
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family