“Disgusting, Filthy Hole” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
London, United Kingdom
“Disgusting, Filthy Hole”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Don't go here! It's filthy, the food is disgusting, uncooked chicken and pork, hard meat, uncooked eggs, all jelly, yuk! Sheets and towels transparent and full of holes, pillows quarter inch thick, lumpy hard mattress, peeling paint, dirty toilets, it's absolutely vile. Miserable, unprofessional staff, why would you want to go there when you have an idea what it's like? We thought, oh well, cheap and cheerful, we just need a clean bed and shower, but that's not what we got. Please read the bad reviews, they are the truth, honestly. Don't waste your money here, we're not moaners, we are just clean normal people, with standards, of course, everyone's standards are different, but I would say avoid The Sultan like the plague!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank spanishsandy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

After going to reception one day, after making numerous complaints, I was accosted by the owner/receptionist, (who I have to say, wore the same clothes for 2 weeks) She waved a piece of paper infront of me asking if it was me who wrote this review in Trip Advisor? I told her it had nothing to do with me, she said there are a lot of similarities, hmm, that's due to the fact we all had the same problems, this disgusting hotel that needs pulling down.
That was during the first part of a 2 week stay, she didn't speak to us after that, it was no loss, she is a horrid woman.
It was my little girls Birthday while we were there, and not one person working in the Sultan, wished her a Happy Birthday, even though she wore her Birthday sash, as little girls do. In normal hotels, she has had Birthday cakes or sweeties, and everyone has made a fuss of a child, but not here.
To begin, it's filthy, but the cleaner is not only a cleaner she has to work in the kitchen, so no time to clean. The sheets and towels are thin, stained and full of holes. The drains stink, throughout the hotel. The sinks don't drain away in the rooms. The showers are green and rusty and won't stay on the hook, constantly falling off hitting you when you're in there. The mirrors are ancient and rusted. The mattresses are lumpy and hard as stone. The pillows are as thin as paper, we asked for more, and the sent up more of the same, we had to use the blankets for pillows, as did everyone else we spoke to.
The food is no better than pig swill. My child cut some pork from a Paella, and it was raw, the blood ran out, when I complained, I was told 'oh sorry', and the bar woman called out to the waitress, tell the cook to cook it some more, it's like a bad circus. My Daughter was ill but they don't accept responsibility for anything. It needs shutting down.
Nothing is edible, even the whites on the egg at breakfast are see through, just uncooked jelly, chicken was returned to the kitchen raw, it's all disgusting, Some people will eat anything, they have the attitude we've paid for it, we'll eat it, maybe they couldn't afford to eat out, luckily for us we could.
The public toilets for the bar area are downstairs, I reported every day, one toilet doesn't flush, it was full of mess, and the other one has no light, so you couldn't see a thing, it downstairs, no natural light, or window, it was stinking, when we left it was exactly the same, nothing done at all.
The toilets for the pool, which is infact across the road from the hotel, are again downstairs, twice we used them, twice there was no light, you had to feel your way around, either that or wee in the pool, which leads me to my ear infection.
I have been home from work since my return from my stay at the Sultan, I have had the strongest anti-biotics I can have as well as codine for the pain, I still have the infection, and am waiting for an appointment with the hospital. The Doctor isn't sure what they will do, possibly insert a gromit, but that's 3 weeks I've been home. Not once did I see the pool cleaned, no salts put in, or washed down. Some litter that was around the edge the first time we used the pool, was still there when we left.
No one is allowed to take a drink, any food, or sweets for children to the pool. Anything at all that is consumed, has to be purchased from the pool bar. If you do eat or drink anything from outside, the bar woman goes marching round and tell them to get out. I saw a young girl refused entry to the pool because she had a bottle of water!
The owners are miserable and unfriendly, the staff are miserable and unfriendly, but if I had to work for people like that, I would be miserable and unfriendly.
In the bedrooms there is 1plug, in the bathroom there is 1 plug, If you want a fridge, you have to pay extra, if you want a fan, you have to pay extra, if you want the tv, you have to pay extra, so if you wanted them all on.... 2 plugs, one of which is next to the sink in the bathroom?
We took plug adaptors, so we could charge our phones etc. but they didn't fit, the building is so old the plug pins are thicker, so we found a hardware shop and bought 2 more, they still didn't fit, so we asked at reception if they had any, of course they did, because you have to pay, it's a nit picking money making con, why not charge the proper price and include the proper services?
We knew it was 2 star, we didn't expect chandeliers and marble, but we expected clean and friendly. We didn't get it.
We had cracked ceilings, paint falling off the walls, disgusting toilets, and sanitary ware (See photos),
I did tell the woman on the desk, in the same clothes, to look out for my review, I told her I've also taken photographs, so she'll be expecting it.
This is mine Senora. Adios!

Room Tip: The Levante, Cala Bona, about 20 miles away
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank DayTripper_6025

Travellers are raving about these Ca'n Picafort hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We have just got back from a week long holiday here. We are a young couple and have had a wonderful holiday.

The hotel is basic (as you would expect from the price), but the staff are so friendly and helpful, bar prices very cheap (around €2 euros for an alcoholic drink), food is basic but delicious, and rooms were very clean.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, literally a one minute walk from the beach, and plenty of shops, supermarkets, restaurants and bars right outside. There is also a car rentals place down the road that does all the excursions you could think of for approx €40 per adult. We went on 3 and we're very impressed with the service.

We stayed half board. Breakfast consisted of a selection of cakes, cereals, croissants, bacon, scrambled egg, fried egg, meats and cheeses. Also included unlimited juices and coffees/teas which you could help yourself to. Evening meals varied but usually there was salad, potatoes, soup, a fish dish, pasta, chips and a meat dish. You do have to pay for drinks in the evening but as I said before, these are very cheap. All in all the food did get a bit repetitive but what can you expect of a buffet? It was delicious and I would have been happy to eat there every night if we hadn't have wanted to try some of the restaurants in the area too.

I have noticed that a number of people have said that this a mainly german area. Although this is true there were also plenty of English people and bars and everyone we spoke to spoke English so we did not feel alienated at all.

The staff were also very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. When we checked out it was half 5 in the morning, the restaurant was obviously closed and we had only a couple of euros left. The man on reception made us coffee and orange juice and even gave us some cakes to take with us. All free of charge. You would be hard pressed to find anywhere in England that does that!

If you are looking for a budget hotel that's close to the beach and nightlife then i would certainly recommend the sultan. It's not the hilton and the area is hardly ibiza if you re wanting to go clubbing, but we really enjoyed ourselves and would certainly go back again.

All the moaners on here should try spending a bit more money if they want a 5 star hotel! Also with regards to the fact that you have pay extra for the tv - you re on holiday so why would you want to be inside watching TV anyway?

The only thing I would say is that the rooms do not have air con so it did get very hot in the room at night. However we kept the door open and the sea breeze cooled us down some what.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Derby_traveller_25
norh wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

lovely location for the beach, shops and restraunts.
stayed in a twin room overlooking the road, room too small for 2 beds in my opinion , barely enough between the beds to get out, bathroom was ok with towels changed everyday , if somewhat shabby and threadbear,
rooms cleaned everyday,
breakfast was ok , with juice and coffee machines , and a good choice of hot and cold, you had your own table for your stay.
reception staff could have been a bit more friendly,
no cuertesy room on day of departure, shower in pool area not working either, so be be prepared to shower in your room before you leave, not ideal if you don't fly till 10 in the evening as we did.
all in all a good base to stay , eventhough the room was tiny.

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the road
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Went here for a week in second week of August.

Good hotel. Does what it says on the tin and a bit more. The staff really made it for us though.

Yes the rooms are tired and dated, but like many have said, you get what you pay for. However, they are by no means bad. Very comfortable feeling. Cleaned daily. And I was shocked at how poor some reviews were about rooms.

If possible, ask for any room not facing the pool. Our first night, there were no fans for hire and we had a pool view room which had no breeze through the door. The sea breeze is pleasant in all other rooms. In fact, we didn't even need a fan to keep cool in the evenings.

Some noise from nearby bars until late hours (1 or 2am) but nothing like being inside a club either. In fact, some of the tunes played were very familiar so singing along helped me sleep.

The staff were fabulous as I mentioned earlier. When our first room became too much to handle, they moved us next day to a slightly better room. Also, everything was done and said with a smile. Nothing was of too much inconvenience.

Breakfast is the same every morning. Unlimited vended coffee/tea/hot chocolate, pineapple and orange juices, milk, cereal, eggs (scrambled and fried), bacon, tomatoes, salami, cheese, bread, rolls and croissants, fairy cakes, jam, butter and toast/bread, and fresh oranges. No Michelin starred dishes but it was good and filling. The oranges are a must-have.

Bar prices were very reasonable compared to UK. 2 euros for a large beer, 2.50 for your typical smirnoff, jack daniels etc. And they pool bar is exactly the same prices with sufficient choices of snacks. (Please note: they frown upon you bringing your own food or alcohol although done sneakily, no-one batters an eye-lid).

Fantastically close to beach. Good location for shops, cash machines, wide range of restaurants (5 or 6 pizza places, some Indian, Chinese, English etc) and some good authentic spanish restaurants too. Also in close proximity of supermarket for essentials i.e. bottled water (which is cheaper than in shops) snacks, alcohol etc. Bus stops nearby and the bus/train that runs through Ca'n Picafort.

Overall, we believed that it was money well spent and we got the best of what we payed for. I would recommend to anyone who seeks a place to sleep, and do nothing but not pay through the roof. It serves it's purpose and we had a great time.

Thanks to all the staff for making it a memorable holiday. Hope to return again next year!!

Room Tip: Any apart from pool-view. These have the best views of mountains and sea..
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Albert P
Neath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Travelled with husband and 2 kids 6 and 3. Don't normally write reviews, but we had a great time. Pool was lovely with part of it shallow enough for the 3 year old to stand in so we could watch from side, and good splash pool which kept them entertained for hours. Staff friendly, helpful and professional. Went all inclusive and have to say that most things included, cocktails as well. Nothing that we wanted was not included. Sit down service at pool bar welcome, if sometimes busy, and staff slightly harassed. Evening buffet generally fantastic, drinks service in restaurant prompt. Breakfast all self service but varied, and excellent quality, with frequent refreshing of dishes. Evening drinks table service could be slow and hard to get table if not prompt. My kids wouldn't go to kids club but seemed to be quite well run, and we were able to relax due to pool arrangements. Didn't get to see much of adult only area as had to go in relays but looked lovely. Evening entertainment wasn't bad and kids enjoyed which meant we could have a drink and relax. Went with hotel for trips - local firm very good. Thomas cook pretty rubbish service in this hotel. Playground lovely, kids spent a long time there. Rooms good, bathrooms lovely, beds hard though! Not actually far form beach and town but seemed it in hot weather! All in all great holiday, and we are fairly picky!

Room Tip: We saw some lovely rooms on ground floor with private garden, they look really nice if your budget s...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Debbie T
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We knew it was old and was a 2 star, but we don't mind as long as it's clean, with clean bedding and a clean bathroom, we knew the food wouldn't be up to much but thought we could manage something off the buffet. How wrong can you be, on all counts? The rooms are tiny, and ours smelled appalling, I complained every day, the water in the sink won't run away, and every day I was told they would send maintenance .... still waiting. I asked for airfreshner because of the stink on the whole floor, not just our room, and was given a home made spray with a miniscule drop in the bottom, and asked to take it straight back. The towels are as thin as paper and full of holes, absolutely disgusting. The restaurant is a joke, the food isn't edible, we had to go out to eat, even the salad was limp and dry. Fish floating in water, dry spaghetti with no sauce, and chips, for dessert, melon or a bread cake. Ugh! My family are all Spanish speaking, yet none of the staff could speak Spanish, even the cook was German. Everything is outdated, doesn't work, not repaired, or repairable. My advice, choose a different hotel, if you've already booked, be prepared to take extra money for eating out.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family