“fantastic everything” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“fantastic everything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Have just returned from Viva on a all inclusive family holiday..would like to say that the food and cocktailks were amazing , the staff happy and always helpful , the whole hotel and surrounding spotless. The walk to the beach only five minutes and the beach is beautiful , Alcuida is only a ten minute taxi . The pools and activities were fabulous and if you have children then you cant lose as they are occupied all day. The entertainment in the evening is your usual spanish event , but the grease night and the celtic dancing were above average. There is so much to choose from the restuarant and all to superb quality , you end up overeating so be careful. The aparrtments are spacoous and clean and the maid service is five days a week and saves us mums having to clean at all . The layout of the complex is fantastic and nothing is left uncleaned. Truly amazing place !!

Room Tip: Pick block three or the rooms with a garden they are great for kids
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank julie m

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

We have jsut returned from a week at this excellent hotel. It is great value for money. We went with our 2 children aged 4 and 18 months, and their grandparents. We all had a lovely time and I cannot understand the negative reviews.

The welcome was lovely and the staff were very helpful and freindly. Our room was great, very clean and very big, had a bath and a shower. Lovely welcome bowl of fruit, water and wine in our room on arrival.

The food was brilliant, there was a great choice every night, we all ate very well (including the children). The drinks were good as well, local and branded spirits included in the all inclusive, great cocktails and the beer was good. The kids really enjoyed the milkshakes and kids cocktails. Good variety of ice creams and ice lollys.

The swimming pools were lovely, all very clean and we never noticed any broken tiles or damage. My kids especially loved the splash pool. Public toilets at the pool were constantly being cleaned.

The mini club was great, my 4 year old went most days, they done crafts, games and dancing. Although we stayed at the splash pool while my daugter was there as the kids were able to walk in and out at anytime. The kids club staff were around until 10pm playing with the children, even done a pyjama party one night. The entertainment for kids was the same songs and different games at night, but most kids (including mine) love this. There was an hour of adult enteratinment after kids, and a couple of nights were a bit naff, but mostly it was good fun.

The ponds (not pools) at reception were frog ponds with lilly pads, reeds and fountains, and they were as clean as you would expect this to be, my kids and loads of others loved watching for the little frogs (no dead birds in sight) although be carefull as there is not much of a barrier around this and my youngest fell in!!! No harm done thankfully, just a bit wet.

The beach is about a 10 min walk at the most, and is lovely, the sea is lovely and shallow, and there are a few bars and restaurants along the front.

In all this is a great value, reasonably priced all inclusive hotel, and I really do not understand the negative reviews at all!! Would definatley recommend this hotel!!

10 Thank Carol G
Rainham, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed here from 4/6 to 11/6 2013 and had an excellent time. The party was made up of two adults, one 7 yr and one 4 yr old. I'm going to try to cover each area of the hotel and am happy to answer any questions.

Pools - four pools, main pool was big and shallow enough for my 7 yr old to stand up and play games in, splash park looked very nice but didn't really go in, toddler pool was very shallow and perfect for little ones, it has steps into it and plenty of seating around for you to be with your child, final pool was deeper and more for adults looking for a quiet swim. There is also an indoor pool which we didn't use.

Room - we had room 4116 which was next to the duck pond and had no problems with it. It was clean and everything worked. The air conditioning works but is quite noisy (you get use to it). I did e-mail the hotel a few weeks ahead to request a quiet room but don't know if that made any difference.

Entertainment - when we arrived the entertainment was a bit quiet but it was early in the season. There is a separate german kids clubs so make sure your kids go to the right one. The entertainment staff are lovely and work really long hours. My 7 yr went every day and it was mainly sports for the boys (good for him) and crafts and games for the girls. My 4 yr old went a couple of times and I stayed with her and was made very welcome. The Mini Disco is repetitive, not fun for adults but good for the kids doing it as the learn the songs and routines better.

Food - we found the food excellent. Some bits were the same but you could easily make a different meal every night. The themed nights are good and cake night was the best! Really can't understand how people can complain about the food at all. There is a lot of pork and fish and my kids didn't eat from the kids buffet. There is pasta, pizza, meat and different potatoes every night. The main restaurant is 24 hrs so you could get an early breakfast or snack late at night. They also make up a packed lunch for you if you're out for the day.

Staff - staff couldn't do enough for you. Spoke very clear english and were very pleasant and hard working.

The resort itself was really nice. The beach was heaven. Its 3.50 euros for a sun lounger or umbrella. We had 4 sun loungers and 2 umbrellas at 21.00 euros. Its not a really busy resort but has everything you could need.

We tried to catch the bus to Alcudia but they were too full so caught a cab for just under 10 euros which was much easier.

We did a few excursions and would highly recommend the Pirates show. The kids were glued to it. Can't praise it enough and would go back and see it again. We also did Marineland which was ok and the 4 1/2 hr boat trip. The boat trip was lovely but the beach it took you to was very disappointing.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and we travelled with first choice. Their rep Rachel is great and went out of her way to get us on the Pirates show bus.

Room Tip: Personally would go for block 3 or 4. Furthest away from the entertainment stage if you have young...
11 Thank Joanne P
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We've just returned from seven nights at this hotel. We'd read the reviews before booking (which were generally positive) but for the life of me I genuinely cannot say this hotel warrants the plaudits rained upon it.

Positives first. The staff are absolutely excellent.There are plenty of them but they clearly all work long hours and without exception were fantastic with the kids. Likewise, the entertainers running the mini disco were spot on; our daughter wasn't overly interested given she's 6 now and it was more for the tots, but it clearly went down well with the little ones and the parents.

Also, the location is great. Five minutes to a nice beach, Can Picafort is a pleasant little town, albeit the main road before you hit the strip is something of an eyesore. Don't be put off my that though, the shallow beach is lovely and plenty of restaurants and bars. What's more it was only 15 minutes in a taxi up to Alcudia which is a charming place and offers a great mix of history and beach relaxation.

Choice of drinks is excellent. Champagne was nice. And the beer. Not sure I believed it was all the brands the bottles claimed however; I didn't see a staff member open a bottle once :-) Very family oriented and 99% of the kids impeccably behaved - although the family from Chesterfield with the tantrum prone five year old (on the bus transfers) might like to think about praising him a little rather than swearing at him and slagging him off when he plays up - in particular the matriarch grandmother who had a voice like a circular saw. They were the exceptions though.

The hotel however has a number of issues. Its clear that very little maintenance took place during the close season and it can best be described as falling apart at the seams. It's OK for now, but I suspect it will be pretty unpleasant a couple of years down the line without an overhaul. Why?

1) The pools adjacent to the reception are filthy, smelly and disgusting. The reviewer who mentioned dead birds floating in the water was not making it up. Drowned sparrows at breakfast do not a happy holidaymaker make.

2) The swimming pool is freezing but what's worse is the tiles which line it are falling away and my daughter and I both cut ourselves on the jagged masonry.

3) Our room was poorly ventilated. Sure, the cleaner did a good job but that's window dressing when there is mould on the bathroom walls and on the ceilings. And an ants nest on the balcony.

4) The food. This is is the clincher. It is absolutely disgusting and a case of the worst of school dinners meets the worst of the office canteen. Repetitious slop would be the fairest way to describe it. And anyone who is impressed by having a pancake cooked in front of them needs to get out more. The puddings are among the worst; I ended up having custard on its own; the cakes are revolting. And saying "its a buffet, what do you expect" doesn't do it for me, I've stayed in comparable hotels with buffets and this was truly the worst I've seen. And I for one am not fooled when the previous evening's leftovers are served with some garlic added to them at breakfast.

5) Re the food again. The Italian a la carte food was really nice. But we were also told about an outdoor barbeque which failed to materialise.

6) The evening entertainment was beyond parody. Like something from Phoenix Nights. I was half expecting Brian Potter himself to appear in his wheelchair and announce a funday involving a portable toilet transformed into a kids play area. The magician was good; but the rest was just laughable. Although it was so bad we actually enjoyed it; but for all the wrong reasons.

7) The hotel actually has its own song. Am I the only person who finds that disturbing?

8) More disturbing still; people were actually TAKING PICTURES OF THE CAKES at dinner on Monday evening. What on earth? Its not as if the chefs had made them and it was a celebration of art - its like me going down to Iceland, setting up a display in my garden and then charging the neighbours £2.50 a time to gawp at it? It was absolutely hilarious.

9) A more serious note, there were two guests there - a German couple - seemed to appear on the Sunday - who by their appearance, demeanour and actions made both my wife and I feel very uncomfortable indeed. I shall say no more than that I didn't let our daugher out of my field of vision and we left the bar early to ensure we were not left in a situation where they might have followed up and been able to see in which room our child was staying. I suspect other parents may have done the same.

Aside from all this (and overall we had a great time playing in the pool, relaxing on the sunbeds, reading, playing with our daughter, and taking a couple of trips out) the Thomson reps also warrant a mention:

1) There were no English speaking reps to meet us at the Airport.
2) No reps on bus during either transfer. We had to guess where to get off for our hotel. The driver spoke no English.
3) The reps at Viva Can Picafort said the kids' activities packs were available on the flight. The stewardess said the reps should have given them to us. Left hand and right hand springs to mind.

Anyway, all in all a nice relaxing week in a nice location with lovely weather and a happy family. Just don't by the hype about this place.

AND I STILL CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE TAKING PHOTOS OF CAKES. JUST WRONG.

Room Tip: Block four worked very well for us.
16 Thank StephenNov1976
Dunbar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week at the start of june and had a great time. I'm not sure how anyone could criticise the food, service, or cleanliness within the hotel. The food was amongst the best we have had at an all inclusive - lots of choice and usually piping hot. The staff were really professional and worked hard - there were also plenty of them. We stayed in the standard apartment which was really spacious with kitchenette, microwave, flat screen tv (bbc 1, bbc 2, and cbeebies available) separate shower and bath. If I was being hyper critical, the room was a little dated but that didn't bother us - the amount of space made up for that.

The kids club seemed well run with a variety of activities daily and there is even a cinema if the weather is rubbish. We didn't use either as the weather was great and the kids lived the splash pool. Night time entertainment was above average and so it is testament to the hotel that we didn't spend much time in our room.

Overall, a very good holiday. I wouldn't hesitate to look into booking one of the other viva hotels for our next holiday.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank Beeross
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

We had a week all inclusive with our 12 year old daughter. Had a lovely relaxing time here. Staff so helpful, friendly and make you feel very welcome. Food is second to none, fresh and so much to choose from. Excellent service in dinning room, tables cleaned straight away, very clean !!
Drinks available all day, even cocktails free!!!
Beach is about 10 minute walk along with lots of gift shops bars and restaurants.
Evening entertainment wasn't the best and finishes at 10.
would recommend this hotel, have nothing bad to say !

• Stayed May 2013
6 Thank Msweety
Caterham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Okay, so first up this is no longer a holiday village and if you have experienced a holiday village before this is very different, so don't think that it may be the same now it has changed as you will be disappointed.

We booked with First Choice premier and true to their word we were the first drop off with the transfer, it took about an hour, first impressions were good, the reception staff were very welcoming, polite and prepared. We checked into our room quickly.

As you begin to move around the room and complex its fair to say that the complex is a little tired and could do with some repairs here and there, cracked grates and tiles around the pool and the pool side bar hut with the straw roof as no more straw!

We had a room in block 3 which was to the back of the complex overlooking the duck pond. The room was comfortable, and the location was perfect, whilst we were there the ducks had ducklings which was lovely to see my daughter (as well as my parents) spent lots of time watching them and feeding them bread. The block was far away from the main area to be quiet but close enough to the pool. The cleaners were regular and did a great job. The in-room hairdryer broke after one use, and the toilet broke, but having said that once reported the toilet was fixed within half a day. The room was spacious and was perfect for the needs of an all inclusive holiday.

The pool area was always clean and the staff were out early every morning working hard to keep it that way. The bottom pool was perfect for my 8 year hold daughter as it was one depth all over and she could stand, the upper pool was much deeper. There were plenty of sun beds and always loads stacked to the side of the pool, you still had to put your towels down to secure the best spots but this is the same anywhere, despite it being quite busy the complex is large enough that it never felt over crowded.

The food was like most all inclusive buffet styles, there was always plenty of choice and the adults in the group always had lots of choice, however there wasn't a great deal of choice from the kids menu and some strange things for breakfast like deep fried courgette! The chiefs were always friendly and wanted to pile up your plate as you pass them by, they replenished food constantly and quickly.

The drinks were great, all recognised alcohol brands like Jack Daniels and Smirnoff, again be warned that they use large measures! The cocktails are included in the all inclusive menu but again that can be quite strong, I recommend the frozen margarita! The kids milkshakes and ice creams from the main bar are fantastic. The bar staff here are excellent, they are so polite and friendly.

There was ice creams and bottles of water free from the freezers in the poolside bar but be warmed they are locked up after the bar closes so if you want any for your room you should take them during the day.

The day time entertainment was non existent, it was only on our last day that we saw a water polo game happen and encouragement from the entertainment team to get involved. The Children's Holiday Club is hotel run, for children aged 4 - 11. The club is situated behind the children's splash pool next to the service entrance, the entrance to the kids club is also the entrance to the play area and is accessible by anyone at any time. I had my reservations about the club before I went and I am sorry to say that they were then confirmed. My daughter really wanted to go so I decided to let her attend one morning and booked her in, I stayed by the splash pool for the morning and regularly checked on her. The staff were pleasant enough but there was a real lack of enthusiasm and engagement with the children. The first session was fine although it did concern me that children could just come and go as they pleased from the hut. So a couple of days later I agreed to let my daughter attend another morning. They took the children from the club hut into the pool side bar to make fruit kebabs, on walking through the bar I noticed that my daughter wasn't at the table with the rest of the children, when I asked were she was the staff didn't know, they couldn't tell me where she had gone or even able to describe her. I then had my family running round the complex to find her. The staff in the children's club had no idea what to do and only one of the staff attempted to help us find her. It turned out she had gone to the toilet and had told a member of the club, but they obviously didn't listen to her, or were not bothered. There is no denying that the staff work hard and the staff you see in the clubs throughout the day are the same staff that do the entertainment in the evening. I understand that there are not the same safeguarding laws in other countries but the approach to child safety is poor.

There was a real lack of activities for children over 10, the only thing they had was the AstroTurf, which again was well used and my 12 year old son came back to the room most nights with his shoes full of the stuff.

The evening entertainment was average, the entertainment team catered for many nationalities which is great but made it quite difficult to get involved when you couldn't understand what they were saying! The shows were ok, there were some great shows like the acrobats and the boy band, but some were cringeworthy!

The beach is about a 10 minute walk, out of the complex and through a park; when walking through stay off the grass! There are lots of shops leading down to C'an Picafort beach and there are lots of bars on the front. The beach is lovely and the water is quite shallow for a way out. The C'an Picafort market on Mondays and Fridays is good, lots of stalls, and be prepared to barter.

The holiday was a good family holiday and I believe would suit families with younger children, overall the stay was nice, a holiday is ultimately what you make it!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Viva Tropic & Spa
Viva Tropic & Spa
#12 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia
Tonga Tower Design Hotel & Suites

Been to Viva Can Picafort? Share your experiences!