“Really good break”

Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Lanarkshire, Scotland
“Really good break”
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

Firstly can I point out this a review of the hotel and surrounding area. It frustrates me when people rate a hotel based on their experience with tour operator, reps, transfers etc. this should not be reflected on the rating of the hotel.
Stayed here on 28th May 2013 with wife and two kids, 4 years and 18 months. I can only assure people that on the whole the previous 4/5 rating reviews are accurate. This is not a first choice holiday village and is not advertised as such. When I booked this hotel I was a bit apprehensive at the cost, over £2000 for 11 nights all inclusive, however I am happy to say in hindsight this was good value for money. The all inclusive choice is one of the best I have had, branded spirits which I did see a barman break the seal, decent choice of ice lollies from the pool bar and a very good choice of food given the chefs are catering for hundreds of people from differing countries, culture and diets. I am basing this on having stayed all inclusive at various hotels in different resorts since 2005, my other reviews will allow you to draw comparisons. One thing that hasn't been mentioned much in previous reviews are the gardeners who work very hard to keep the grounds in immaculate condition. I do agree that the pools were a bit cold but again this is down to the temperatures at this time of year, it didn't stop us using it though. Entertainment is as expected, I wasn't expecting a west end show! The kids club team despite the language barrier do really well and work hard for 12 hours keeping the kids entertained. How many reviewers are able to speak two additional languages, Spanish, German and English?
The one thing I always want to know from a reviewer: would you go back and would you recommend it to others. Answer Yes and Yes. Go and have a good time.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
17 Thank givemeaclue

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 June 2013

FAN-TAS-TIC. Three words to describe our holiday. We (mum, dad & girls aged 2 & 4) stayed for 11 nights arriving 4/6/13. The hotel is lovely. Staff really friendly and helpful. There were a lot of families at the hotel during our stay, mostly Brits & German. The kids club is run by really friendly staff (mostly German who speak excellent English. Our girls loved them although we didn't really use them much). Food was good. Lots of choice & some theme nights (chinese, tapas, fish, cakes etc). The 'italian' restaurant appears to be a new idea & service a little slow. Food wasn't that exciting either. The rooms, pool and whole area is clean and well maintained. I have never done all inclusive before so have no previous holidays to compare but am very impressed with Viva. TV - only BBC 1, 2 & Cbeebies in English. Entertainment - Kids discos at 8pm were fun for the kids. The adult show 9-10pm we found was more hit and miss. Some we enjoyed & some we had an early night. The local resort is a short 10 - 15 minute walk away. Nice clean beach. Free Wifi throughout the hotel complex. Even in our room (if the wind was in the right direction). 2 washing machines & dryers available for free. A great relaxing holiday!

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank Sonic6
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Have just returned from Viva on a all inclusive family holiday..would like to say that the food and cocktailks were amazing , the staff happy and always helpful , the whole hotel and surrounding spotless. The walk to the beach only five minutes and the beach is beautiful , Alcuida is only a ten minute taxi . The pools and activities were fabulous and if you have children then you cant lose as they are occupied all day. The entertainment in the evening is your usual spanish event , but the grease night and the celtic dancing were above average. There is so much to choose from the restuarant and all to superb quality , you end up overeating so be careful. The aparrtments are spacoous and clean and the maid service is five days a week and saves us mums having to clean at all . The layout of the complex is fantastic and nothing is left uncleaned. Truly amazing place !!

Room Tip: Pick block three or the rooms with a garden they are great for kids
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank julie m
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We have jsut returned from a week at this excellent hotel. It is great value for money. We went with our 2 children aged 4 and 18 months, and their grandparents. We all had a lovely time and I cannot understand the negative reviews.

The welcome was lovely and the staff were very helpful and freindly. Our room was great, very clean and very big, had a bath and a shower. Lovely welcome bowl of fruit, water and wine in our room on arrival.

The food was brilliant, there was a great choice every night, we all ate very well (including the children). The drinks were good as well, local and branded spirits included in the all inclusive, great cocktails and the beer was good. The kids really enjoyed the milkshakes and kids cocktails. Good variety of ice creams and ice lollys.

The swimming pools were lovely, all very clean and we never noticed any broken tiles or damage. My kids especially loved the splash pool. Public toilets at the pool were constantly being cleaned.

The mini club was great, my 4 year old went most days, they done crafts, games and dancing. Although we stayed at the splash pool while my daugter was there as the kids were able to walk in and out at anytime. The kids club staff were around until 10pm playing with the children, even done a pyjama party one night. The entertainment for kids was the same songs and different games at night, but most kids (including mine) love this. There was an hour of adult enteratinment after kids, and a couple of nights were a bit naff, but mostly it was good fun.

The ponds (not pools) at reception were frog ponds with lilly pads, reeds and fountains, and they were as clean as you would expect this to be, my kids and loads of others loved watching for the little frogs (no dead birds in sight) although be carefull as there is not much of a barrier around this and my youngest fell in!!! No harm done thankfully, just a bit wet.

The beach is about a 10 min walk at the most, and is lovely, the sea is lovely and shallow, and there are a few bars and restaurants along the front.

In all this is a great value, reasonably priced all inclusive hotel, and I really do not understand the negative reviews at all!! Would definatley recommend this hotel!!

10 Thank Carol G
Rainham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed here from 4/6 to 11/6 2013 and had an excellent time. The party was made up of two adults, one 7 yr and one 4 yr old. I'm going to try to cover each area of the hotel and am happy to answer any questions.

Pools - four pools, main pool was big and shallow enough for my 7 yr old to stand up and play games in, splash park looked very nice but didn't really go in, toddler pool was very shallow and perfect for little ones, it has steps into it and plenty of seating around for you to be with your child, final pool was deeper and more for adults looking for a quiet swim. There is also an indoor pool which we didn't use.

Room - we had room 4116 which was next to the duck pond and had no problems with it. It was clean and everything worked. The air conditioning works but is quite noisy (you get use to it). I did e-mail the hotel a few weeks ahead to request a quiet room but don't know if that made any difference.

Entertainment - when we arrived the entertainment was a bit quiet but it was early in the season. There is a separate german kids clubs so make sure your kids go to the right one. The entertainment staff are lovely and work really long hours. My 7 yr went every day and it was mainly sports for the boys (good for him) and crafts and games for the girls. My 4 yr old went a couple of times and I stayed with her and was made very welcome. The Mini Disco is repetitive, not fun for adults but good for the kids doing it as the learn the songs and routines better.

Food - we found the food excellent. Some bits were the same but you could easily make a different meal every night. The themed nights are good and cake night was the best! Really can't understand how people can complain about the food at all. There is a lot of pork and fish and my kids didn't eat from the kids buffet. There is pasta, pizza, meat and different potatoes every night. The main restaurant is 24 hrs so you could get an early breakfast or snack late at night. They also make up a packed lunch for you if you're out for the day.

Staff - staff couldn't do enough for you. Spoke very clear english and were very pleasant and hard working.

The resort itself was really nice. The beach was heaven. Its 3.50 euros for a sun lounger or umbrella. We had 4 sun loungers and 2 umbrellas at 21.00 euros. Its not a really busy resort but has everything you could need.

We tried to catch the bus to Alcudia but they were too full so caught a cab for just under 10 euros which was much easier.

We did a few excursions and would highly recommend the Pirates show. The kids were glued to it. Can't praise it enough and would go back and see it again. We also did Marineland which was ok and the 4 1/2 hr boat trip. The boat trip was lovely but the beach it took you to was very disappointing.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and we travelled with first choice. Their rep Rachel is great and went out of her way to get us on the Pirates show bus.

Room Tip: Personally would go for block 3 or 4. Furthest away from the entertainment stage if you have young...
11 Thank Joanne P
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We've just returned from seven nights at this hotel. We'd read the reviews before booking (which were generally positive) but for the life of me I genuinely cannot say this hotel warrants the plaudits rained upon it.

Positives first. The staff are absolutely excellent.There are plenty of them but they clearly all work long hours and without exception were fantastic with the kids. Likewise, the entertainers running the mini disco were spot on; our daughter wasn't overly interested given she's 6 now and it was more for the tots, but it clearly went down well with the little ones and the parents.

Also, the location is great. Five minutes to a nice beach, Can Picafort is a pleasant little town, albeit the main road before you hit the strip is something of an eyesore. Don't be put off my that though, the shallow beach is lovely and plenty of restaurants and bars. What's more it was only 15 minutes in a taxi up to Alcudia which is a charming place and offers a great mix of history and beach relaxation.

Choice of drinks is excellent. Champagne was nice. And the beer. Not sure I believed it was all the brands the bottles claimed however; I didn't see a staff member open a bottle once :-) Very family oriented and 99% of the kids impeccably behaved - although the family from Chesterfield with the tantrum prone five year old (on the bus transfers) might like to think about praising him a little rather than swearing at him and slagging him off when he plays up - in particular the matriarch grandmother who had a voice like a circular saw. They were the exceptions though.

The hotel however has a number of issues. Its clear that very little maintenance took place during the close season and it can best be described as falling apart at the seams. It's OK for now, but I suspect it will be pretty unpleasant a couple of years down the line without an overhaul. Why?

1) The pools adjacent to the reception are filthy, smelly and disgusting. The reviewer who mentioned dead birds floating in the water was not making it up. Drowned sparrows at breakfast do not a happy holidaymaker make.

2) The swimming pool is freezing but what's worse is the tiles which line it are falling away and my daughter and I both cut ourselves on the jagged masonry.

3) Our room was poorly ventilated. Sure, the cleaner did a good job but that's window dressing when there is mould on the bathroom walls and on the ceilings. And an ants nest on the balcony.

4) The food. This is is the clincher. It is absolutely disgusting and a case of the worst of school dinners meets the worst of the office canteen. Repetitious slop would be the fairest way to describe it. And anyone who is impressed by having a pancake cooked in front of them needs to get out more. The puddings are among the worst; I ended up having custard on its own; the cakes are revolting. And saying "its a buffet, what do you expect" doesn't do it for me, I've stayed in comparable hotels with buffets and this was truly the worst I've seen. And I for one am not fooled when the previous evening's leftovers are served with some garlic added to them at breakfast.

5) Re the food again. The Italian a la carte food was really nice. But we were also told about an outdoor barbeque which failed to materialise.

6) The evening entertainment was beyond parody. Like something from Phoenix Nights. I was half expecting Brian Potter himself to appear in his wheelchair and announce a funday involving a portable toilet transformed into a kids play area. The magician was good; but the rest was just laughable. Although it was so bad we actually enjoyed it; but for all the wrong reasons.

7) The hotel actually has its own song. Am I the only person who finds that disturbing?

8) More disturbing still; people were actually TAKING PICTURES OF THE CAKES at dinner on Monday evening. What on earth? Its not as if the chefs had made them and it was a celebration of art - its like me going down to Iceland, setting up a display in my garden and then charging the neighbours £2.50 a time to gawp at it? It was absolutely hilarious.

9) A more serious note, there were two guests there - a German couple - seemed to appear on the Sunday - who by their appearance, demeanour and actions made both my wife and I feel very uncomfortable indeed. I shall say no more than that I didn't let our daugher out of my field of vision and we left the bar early to ensure we were not left in a situation where they might have followed up and been able to see in which room our child was staying. I suspect other parents may have done the same.

Aside from all this (and overall we had a great time playing in the pool, relaxing on the sunbeds, reading, playing with our daughter, and taking a couple of trips out) the Thomson reps also warrant a mention:

1) There were no English speaking reps to meet us at the Airport.
2) No reps on bus during either transfer. We had to guess where to get off for our hotel. The driver spoke no English.
3) The reps at Viva Can Picafort said the kids' activities packs were available on the flight. The stewardess said the reps should have given them to us. Left hand and right hand springs to mind.

Anyway, all in all a nice relaxing week in a nice location with lovely weather and a happy family. Just don't by the hype about this place.

AND I STILL CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE TAKING PHOTOS OF CAKES. JUST WRONG.

Room Tip: Block four worked very well for us.
16 Thank StephenNov1976
Dunbar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week at the start of june and had a great time. I'm not sure how anyone could criticise the food, service, or cleanliness within the hotel. The food was amongst the best we have had at an all inclusive - lots of choice and usually piping hot. The staff were really professional and worked hard - there were also plenty of them. We stayed in the standard apartment which was really spacious with kitchenette, microwave, flat screen tv (bbc 1, bbc 2, and cbeebies available) separate shower and bath. If I was being hyper critical, the room was a little dated but that didn't bother us - the amount of space made up for that.

The kids club seemed well run with a variety of activities daily and there is even a cinema if the weather is rubbish. We didn't use either as the weather was great and the kids lived the splash pool. Night time entertainment was above average and so it is testament to the hotel that we didn't spend much time in our room.

Overall, a very good holiday. I wouldn't hesitate to look into booking one of the other viva hotels for our next holiday.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
#6 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia
Zafiro Tropic
Zafiro Tropic
#13 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Zafiro Can Picafort? Share your experiences!