“"Second visit, still amazing!"”

Zafiro Can Picafort
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We went as a family of 4 to Viva Can Picafort for the second year running for two weeks from 22nd July to 5th August 2014. Before we went we emailed hotel to ask for a specific block and floor for hotel room and got exactly what we asked for, check-in was fast and easy and room was clean and ready for us when we arrived. Hotel grounds and pool area clean, tidy and well manicured, paths were swept and washed every morning. Food was great, lots of choice and themed evenings every couple of nights including cake night, tapas and chinese night. Drinks are plentiful, cocktails amazing and bar staff work tirelessly to keep queues moving so never waited long. Food at pool bar tasty and superfast. Ice creams available at pool bar for children to help themselves to, sandwiches and fruit and biscuits always available at main bar for when you want a quick snack. All serving staff either bar or in restaurant work so hard and are always friendly and cheerful, they seem to always be at work but still happy. Only problem was a shortage of sunbeds when we arrived but after a few people complaining the hotel supplied some spares left piled up so you could help yourselves so problem solved. Overall i would recommend this hotel to anyone and hope to return agian sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Block 1 is nearer to reception and evening entertainment if you want a short walk home in the evenin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Tina L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,823)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

First of all Germans ! Very German orientated hotel with broccoli on the breakfast menu ? And some other horrible things , inc,sausages, meat .
Very rude people , no common courtesy whatsoever ,disgusting people , even witnessed a couple having sex in the sea from our pedal boat !!
I hope I upset some of them by winning 243 euros on the bingo . :))
My daughter passed the ball back to one man in the pool with no reply ? No head nod , thank you nothing ..

German rant over back to resort ...

Hotel welcome was excellent, staff are fantastic , work very hard to make sure your stay in a good one,
First choice rep welcome...mmmm didn't see them , very poor service from them no information , apart from a leaflet pushed under our door two days in ?

Hotel facilities are good however , arcade/games machines are very dated and could do more for the 12-14 age range , pools are good ,not heated but by 10am a cold pool is a must ! 30-33c most days for us !
pool bar , pizza is excellent ! My fav anyway , all food from here is good , viva burger is excellent too , free ice creams are very good with choc ices , magnum 'style' ice cream , ice lolly , ice pops also , I wouldn't worry about the pay only ice cream fridge , the free ones are equally as good , pool bar tip - ask for large drinks or you'll just be dealt small ones , lager,slush, wine also available and many others from pool bar.

Main restaurant - excellent choice of food for all , cereal fruit,breads,yogurt,fresh pancakes and traditional German/British foods at breakfast

At lunch & dinner the choice is excellent as well , always changing daily.
unlimited drinks -Spanish lager is the only all inclusive one available but still very nice and strong at 5.4abv,sangria , red & white wine . To get a full range of cocktails you have to wait till 6pm for main bar to open , also in the main bar there are ham&cheese sandwiches available all day every day ,along with biscuits and fruit which we took to the beach ;)

Entertainment - viva really need to look at this , abba night brilliant ! 50's-90's night good , but all the rest was pretty poor , I think they need to invest in out side acts because I think are performed by staff, bingo every night which we enjoyed but not for everyone .also maybe background music around larger pool would be nice

Beach is lovely and clean ,banana boat is a must if you go (10 euros ) each , really good
Umbrella , sunbed & safe hire is 11 euros which I thought was good for the whole day , beach is about 5-10 min walk , not far at all , plenty of shops on the way too .

Room , very clean , beds not comfy at all , and need more or better pillows

All in all I would go again and ignore the Germans like they do !

Room Tip: Block 4 or 5 good view of pool and easy access ,email hotel a few days before and ask
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Clare H
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed in July/Aug with our 2 children aged 8 and 2 for a week. When we arrived the check in process was fast and good. Got to our room which was a one bed apartment, very nice and clean. Got to the pool bar to get some food, waiting at the table to be served nobody came up until we had to find out what is the actual process, which you pick up the menu, order and go to the kitchen (it would have been handy if reception would have informed us). Anyway, looked at the menu and all inclusive package which we were on, wasn't really all in. If you wanted other food or drink it was extra but what more it was to my surprise is that one fridge of ice creams you had to pay and the other one was all in. How do I tell the kids that one is allowed and the other one not! I've been in many all ins and never came across with this. Eventually we got our food, which what meant to be chicken kebab and a pizza...looked nothing like it and was pretty bad.
After the pool bar experience with food we only ate at the restaurant, which was really good variety and very tasty food. Cannot fault the restaurant.
Rooms - our bed was 2 twin beds put together, not ideal when your 2 year old wants to jump in for a lie in and drops on the floor. Then we got a call 2 days later after we checked in to see if we require the cot, which I said Yes to what the receptionist said that there is a charge of €4 per night for the cot. We were not aware of it, nobody informed us upon arrival nor the travel agent Falcon. I know it's not going to break the bank but after paying quite a bit of money for all in I think it's a bit scabby looking. They could've just added onto the whole package.
Our kids did not like the cereals in the restaurant so we bought in the shop some. They were having them in the room each morning. After the cleaner was in to clean the room (Petra was her name) she just left the dishes in the sink in the kitchen and never washed them once, left for us to do. I was absolutely shocked! Never seen in any hotel anything like that???? She was off 2 days a week - what??? so no room serviced 2 days? She never changed the bed sheets, is that normal from a 4* Hotel - don't think so. There was a tile cracked in the room, my kids nearly got a cut, she should have reported that to the maintenance. Disappointed with the room cleaner.
Entertainment - what is that about? You guys need to really work hard on this, sack them all and get some real entertainment for this hotel.
Wifi very bad connection - wouldn't advertise as free but very poor connection.
When we checked out early in the morning, the reception guy just said €28 for the cot. NO please, no did you enjoy your stay. Not an effort to make any conversation.
Overall, hotel grounds are nice. Customer service very poor, room service poor. I gave you 3 stars to be nice. Will not go back or recommend to any of my friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank OG1325
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have just returned from a one week holiday at the viva (4th-11th aug 14) my husband, myself and our 7 and 8 yr old.

This hotel is an amazing place to stay. We arrived on an early flight and got to the viva about 12 lunch time. On arrival we where told that our room wasn't ready. But I didn't mind this as I had emailed 4 days earlier asking to upgrade to a family garden room. Which to my surprise when we arrived we where told we could have one. (I hadn't had an email back) This however did incur a charge something that I hadn't realised when I had read similar reviews on here. It cost a further €30 a day. To be honest I was a little put out, but having said that we spent practically nothing else when we where there that it was money well spent.

The viva has 4 really great pools, we spent a lot of time around the kids pool which is fantastic. Especially after we purchased these foam water guns/pistols that shoot for miles bought from the supermarket on site for about €4 which the kids played with all week. By mid week it had become a slight chore having to get up early to reserve a sunbed in this area but to be honest it was worth it. During the week we migrated mostly to the big pools where my children could stand up in. This is where most of the older and adult activities took place.
My children played water polo and ran across these great big floats into the pool, I participated in aqua gym (Zumba in the water) which was fantastic and earned myself a cheeky rose wine afterwards...medicinal of course.

The food cannot be faulted. The buffet style is amazing with so much choice there is something for everyone. On the Wednesday that we where there it was cake night. Oh my days all I will say is make sure you take stretchy clothes with you!
The pool bar is open 10-6pm the drinks are very good ranging from Smirnoff vodka to baileys all proper brands. The cocktails are served all day long and there's even kids cocktails which my two loved. The bar in the evening is a little slower than the pool bar. And in occasions i felt that I was waiting for forever but it is just because they are busy and everyone orders cocktails which takes a long time to put together.

The staff at this hotel are amazing. They all work very very hard. Working 14hr days with one day off a week. Not once did I see anyone of them frown, scowl or looking miserable. They all work hard with smiles on their faces making our holiday even better.

Our room was amazing too. The garden room was an added bonus with a hammock and two sun loungers the rooms where of generous size and the bathroom had both a seperate shower and bath. Which was ideal when everyone wanted a shower before we went out in the evening.

The evening entertainment varied. There where some really good acts but then some not do good. But to be honest when you have small children you don't do much sitting down anyways.

The hotel is a good 20 minutes from C'an picafort. And a further 10 minutes to the beach. So a really good walk. We only went a couple of times as it was so hot and the kids found it a struggle. There was some really good touristy type shops there where you could pick up some local bargains. The sea was very warm and beautiful. However due to the distance and the kids having everything they needed at the hotel this is where we stopped.

We never used the cinema or the indoor pool.

The only down side of the holiday for us was the transfers to and from the hotel. On the way there it took just over an hr, as we had missed our coach at the airport due to our luggage taking almost 30minutes to appear. Then when we returned to the airport we where the first pickup at 6.30 but then we didn't get to the airport till 8.30. Which with two kids is a long time to be stuck on a coach for.
But this is nothing to do with the hotel, just the dynamics of the trip.

I will almost certainly be recommending to friends and family. I am currently looking to book again next year. It was the best holiday ever.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank SarahP_7835
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My wife, 7 year old son and myself have just returned from a fortnight's all inclusive at the Viva Can Picafort.
The pro's:

The hotel itself is very impressive, certainly the four stars it boasts.
The buildings are low rise (max three floors) set around gardens, ponds and the central pool area.
The (5) accommodation blocks are set around the outside along with the reception, main restaurant and main bar. The accommodation blocks are three floors of 22 rooms with the ground floors having gardens with hammocks and loungers. We were in block 1 floor 2 room 01 - or 1201 as it was known.
The rooms were absolutely fantastic, we had a separate shower and bath in the bathroom (all nicely fitted out), a living room with small kitchenette (fridge, kettle, toaster, coffee machine, hob etc), HD TV and large sofa.
The bedroom had a queen size bed with memory foam mattress (we've never slept as well anywhere in the world) and plenty of cupboard space and drawers.
All the blocks had lifts and ours on the rare occasions we used it was very quick and always operational.
For the number of rooms the hotel sits on a very generous plot of land, so never felt cramped not even around the pools.
We mainly used the large lagoon pool (1m deep) which our little lad used almost all the time, as did my wife and I when the temps were hitting the mid 30s, but there was also a smaller deeper pool and the very impressive splash pool with galleon and slides etc.
In the basement of the reception there was also an indoor pool and whirlpool, gym and sauna.
Other facilities on site were the cinema room, sports bar and supermarket although we only used the latter.
The pool bar was handy and they served food (if you didn't want to use the main restaurant) and drinks all of which you could take to your pool loungers in take away containers. The standard of food was above average.
The service of both food and drink was very efficient also.
It's also worth pointing out that the hotel is only a 10-15 minute walk away from Can Picafort beach which is very nice, Can picafort itself isn't that great.

The con's:
The main restaurant food was?...ok.
Personally I was bored before the end of the first week as I seemed to be cobbling a similar meal together most breakfast and evenings. I spoke to numerous other guests who thought similarly.
There was nothing wrong with the supply or the quality, just perhaps the variety, imagination and choice.
For a four star hotel this could and probably should have been better/greater.
I am quite happy with a buffet style service and in previous years always thought the hotels we had visited done very well, for me the VCP was punching a bit under its weight, which was a tad disappointing.

Entertainment wise, it was pretty brutal also.
There was little poolside action, only one hours music for the aqua gym, which made the hours spent sun bathing lacking in interest for adults (there was plenty going on for the kids) and a little un-atmospheric.
Don't get me wrong I aren't suggesting we wanted rave music or anything loud and banging but something in the background would have been nice.
I'd also add that whatever events were going on, rarely were they announced over the speakers as and when they were happening. There were posted itineraries around the hotel but often we did not think to look at these or had forgotten later on in the day.

Bingo!! One game that lasted what seamed like an eternity. It's not my thing (I'm clearly in the minority I accept) but every night? I'm certain that against the Geneva convention.
Other war crimes were the evening entertainment offerings.
The pirate show (twice) was very very bleak.
Viva have a "flying show team" that seamed to do a number of the shows. Divas was the first, two young women and a fella(??). Lady gaga, Beyoncé eat call that kind of stuff, I'll say it again two women and a man!!!
The Beatles were up next, two blokes and two women!!...you can see where I'm going with this!!
That was week one.
Week two saw the "flying squad" bringing us a Michael Jackson tribute, back came the two women and the fella, he was actually very good in this, he could really do a good MJ dance routine, someone should just let him know he can't sing. Abba were up next and for me this was the best of the lot, they got the right ratio of genders (2 of each) and it was overall a very good show.
Overall though like the restaurant food, it lacked imagination and seemed lacking of thought.

All inclusive (international) drinks:
I have to say I never saw any international brands offered to anyone. The beer came in proper pint glasses or bottled and was very good, the cocktails also were excellent, but if you wanted gin, vodka, run etc it was always the usual Spanish hotel brands being poured out.
I'm not saying the international brands weren't there or available just that there was no push to give you them.
Again I'll say it was a little disappointing for a four star pushing an international drinks package.

Overall:
Take the cons out and this would be a great holiday in a great hotel.
It was spotless, the staff were great and the grounds and bricks and mortar immaculate.
Comparing this holiday against last years, it came out at £600+ more for two adults and one child.
Do I think we saw a £600+ benefit? No is the honest answer, £40 extra per day basically got us a nicer room to sleep in, something that is nice but no a deal breaker, most of the time we were in it we were asleep.
I think I'd be happier pocketing the money and go back to the Marina Torrenova.

Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank KinleySmith2007
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed in early July with our two children aged 8 and 11. Well laid out Hotel with nice grounds and good sized pools. Generally the hotel is very clean and the staff are very friendly despite their long hours!
Food is very good though I didn't think it had as much choice as the previous VIva hotel we stayed in. The Italian option is ok, food not as good as the main restaurant but it's nice to have table service and a quieter dinner for a change! Breakfast is excellent with everything you could want including Buck's Fizz!
We went out for dinner a couple of times even though we were all inclusive. I wasn't too impressed by C'an Picafort itself. While there is nothing really 'wrong' with it, it's just a bit bland and there are definitely much nicer resorts in Majorca. The beach though is beautiful.
We really enjoyed our stay at the hotel and like the Viva brand but probably wouldn't go back as the resort outside has little to entice us back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank smorg65
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was our first experience of an all inclusive, big entertainment hotel so have nothing to compare with, but our experience was 'surprisingly' enjoyable. Here with list of pros and cons to help the allIn experts or virgins:
+++++
Super clean - everywhere!
Plentiful buffet food. Good variety but could go heavier on the seasoning!
Kids club very well ran with great entertainment/kids shows/ disco etc
Fun impromptu pool activities
The adults only chill out zone and really lovely pool
Large sized apartments
Fantastic staff - everyone !! Helpful, friendly and smiley
Overall ambience - friendly, calm and civilised

------
The rooms are a bit bland
The pool although quite large is not very deep so may not suit older children
The pool cafe food - not great ( but the nice waiters make up for it!). The buffet lunch much better option.
Sun beds a bit cramped
Not late adult entertainment - but I guess this is because of the focus on young families

Room Tip: Ground floor best with little private gardens and hammocks.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Zafiro Tropic
Zafiro Tropic
#12 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia
Tonga Tower Design Hotel & Suites

Been to Zafiro Can Picafort? Share your experiences!