“Enjoyable family holiday”

Zafiro Can Picafort
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Stayed here with our 2 year old and 6 month old last week of August. We wanted a family all inclusive resort that had apartments and this was exactly what we found here. The apartments are very spacious with plenty of storage and a great bathroom, flat screen tv, comfy sofa, fridge, microwave etc. By looking at some of the reviews I think maybe not all the rooms are the same but ours seemed to be one of the better decorated ones with a massive king size bed and attractive furnishings, we booked through first choice I'm not sure if that's relevant or not. The balcony is nice and spacious with decent furniture. It's a bit of a shame that they charge for a cot (considering the cost of the holiday) but I knew this before we arrived. The resort is well laid out and clean. We spent every day at the kids splash pool which was brilliant for our 2 year old who just loved it. We put our towels down at about 8 and never had a problem finding space at this time but it does get busy later on. I have to say the food was better than expected and there was always something you liked so don't listen to the people who are moaning on here as there is a lot to choose from. The food at the pool bar was a nice change too especially as you could eat in or take out, it was tasty and very quick. The help yourself ice creams were fab and again the people moaning that you had to pay for branded ones are just being pernickety! The service overall from the reception to the waiting staff was great they kept on top of everything and always with a smile. Can't comment on the kids club as our kids are too small but what I did see of it seemed to be run well and the kids seemed happy. The play park was a nice break from the pool but the trampoline can get very hot in the afternoon sun! Shame there are no swings! The shop on site was good and had pretty much anything you needed. The mini disco in the evening was fun but the steps leading up to the stage were very hazardous with cables running all over the place and bits of wood nails sticking out! My 2 year old took a tumble but luckily didn't injure herself but it is a serious accident waiting to happen. We had a meal at the italian one night which was mediocre at best but a nice change from the buffet. We only left the complex once and ca'n picafort seemed like your typical spanish resort with lots of shops and restaurants.
Overall it was a very good holiday in a near perfect hotel and we would certainly return.

5  Thank babybel

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We spent 10 days in late August with two children aged and 7. We have been to a couple of other viva hotels in Majorca but this was our first all inclusive experience. All in all this hotel is excellent – it is spacious, clean and well laid out. The pool is huge and was never crowded even in peak season, the new playground is brilliant with a trampoline and bouncy castle and kept our children entertained for periods every day. The crowning glory though has to be the splash pool which is just amazing – around 15 slides of varying sizes and speeds, a castle, a pirate ship and a tipping bucket.

The beach is quite busy but beautiful – it is around a 10 minute walk down hill, but our children coped well with the uphill struggle in the sun on the way back especially as you walk through a little park so they could stop off and have a go on the climbing frame. Further down the coast, in the main town area, there is a market (not very impressive), a harbour and some gorgeous rugged rocky scenery which is fun for exploring with little ones. We took the mini train to get down there which was fun for the children and then took a slow stroll back which took a long time and was pretty exhausting in the heat.

The food at the hotel was exceptional – we ate breakfast and dinner in the main buffet restaurant and the food was of good quality, warm and with some variety but some staple favourites (pizza, pasta, chips etc) so there was always something the kids could eat. Our favourite theme nights were oriental and the chocolate Wednesdays. Lunch in the pool bar was brilliant – sandwiches, wraps, pizzas, salads and even kebabs. The all inclusive ice cream was not branded but tasted good all the same so who really cares what it says on the packet? Drinks and cocktails were also of good quality in both bars, but not really in the main restaurant where the juice tasted of water! The kids cocktails were a huge success!

Our children enjoyed the mini disco every night and went to a few activities in the kids club (although we stayed with them as I had doubts about how closely supervised the children were), and the entertainment team were great, very enthusiastic and trying to ensure everyone felt involved.

The only bad point about this hotel and the whole holiday was the lack of Wi-Fi in the hotel, which was a really big deal for my husband. There is in theory Wi-Fi throughout the hotel but even if you manage to pick up a signal (for which we found the main bar to be the best spot) the speeds are so slow that it is like being on dial up. In this day and age this is incredibly frustrating – we were only trying to check basic things like the bbc website, not even videos or downloading. Last year we went to viva tropic where the Wi-Fi was much better, so something to be learned here.

Overall I would have given it 5 stars apart from the Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: Block 5 overlooks the swimming pools
8  Thank Tejstar
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I expected a more chilled and luxurious week than I had. My girls (10,6) had great time, we met lovely people who made the week really enjoyable despite the bad points, food and staff are great but this was not a 4* holiday. I'll say my for and against so you can decide.
Good:
- very clean and smart
- great staff, friendly, service excellent
- food is fabulous. Lots of choice and themed nights. Bar food was great and fast. You can eat at bar or takeaway in handy packaging to your beds or rooms.
- good entertainment for kids but rather limited. Loved the aqua aerobics every day at 10. Kids play areas good and some fun pool stuff. Love the electric animals, you pay 3euros for 7 mins to ride up and down.
- only good entertainment for grown ups was the 50's, 60's, 70's night. Great Rat Pack show.
Bad:
- if you book through First Choice you get no priority treatment. In fact you are treated like second class guests. I tried to reserve a privilege room with the hotel as First Choice don't offer this. I had an email acceptance of my confirmed request 2 days before arriving. I quote "OK, PERFECT - I take this as confirmation and the hotel refused to accept this. I then received an email that it was no longer available as it had been given to another request that had come in after mine from another company. After lengthy discussions with the hotel it was obvious that they give these rooms as priority to other EU tour operators they have contracts with and that means it is highly unlikely a First Choice guest can have them even if they are available when you arrive as they have to ensure they always have them available for last minute requests from their other operators. I was offered a free move to one in the week but this wasn't guaranteed as they might have had to give it to another last minute request so it was small comfort. The hotel manager Marc was very kind but explained he is tied. However I felt that they were disingenuous in not accepting fault in confirming it to me and then withdrawing it and I was offered no real compensation for having a confirmed upgrade withdrawn. This was before our holiday had even started.
- rooms are tired decor, brown everywhere. No cushions on balcony chairs.
- First Choice rep thinks it is a good idea to call our room at 915 am to attend a welcome meeting when we have arrived at 5 am and are obviously asleep! Not impressed.
- restaurant is a loud canteen. No decor, no nice lighting, very basic and it only serves dinner until 9. I would not return purely for this reason. Only other place to eat is the Pool Bar which is converted to an Italian restaurant - but food not great. This was all too rushed and not an enjoyable restaurant experience that I want in a holiday.
- entertainment feels like a low grade Butlins. Only good for very small children. Seated in huge ugly outside area. No comfy pretty bars anywhere. Where is the chill out bar area with sofas and no kids. I like that the hotel felt secure that my kids could run round to some lovely play areas but where was the nice bit for me to escape other people's kids?! Perfect opportunity but no provision.
- beach at Can Picafort is tiny and very crowded, it is a 15 min walk and not exactly picturesque. . No appeal to this area at all. The resort is not attractive.
- all inclusive but branded ice creams have to be paid for - right next to non branded ones. Poor.
- sun beds should be more plentiful and I expect cushions at this price. Reservations occur, you have to get up at 8 to get your spot. Should be more enforcement of removing towels that are left for long periods.
- would expect a walk in pool with slope or steps, and one swimming pool that is a bit shallower for small kids who want to swim without armbands. Pirate pool is not enough. The swimming pools are just above height of most five year olds.

So in summary, I won't book First Choice again as it is a budget holiday feel even if you book Premium. And I won't go all inclusive again as it feels like being on a school trip and herded like CATTLE!!! And I won't go to Viva hotels again as I don't expect to be treated like a 2nd class citizen. By the end of the week I was glad to go home to some peace and quiet. I do recommend if you are looking for a good quality budget holiday however with small children and don't mind the noise and early dinner times.

3  Thank Mary H
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Me, my husband and two boys aged 3 and 6 stayed here for a week, by the first day we had already decided that we will return next year along with my parents. We don't usually return to the same place but the hotel was fantastic! The rooms were nice, well set out and a good lay out for a family. They were kept beautifully clean by the maid. The food was lovely, i don't know how anyone could grumble. I loved that you could sit outside the restaurant so you didn't feel like you were in a canteen atmosphere, which i think you get with all inclusive resorts. It was great you could go to the pool bar and order fresh meals which again meant you wasn't always going to the same place for lunch. You have the chance to eat at the a la carte restaurant which served lovely food and we were waited on by the staff. There was plenty of things for the kids, kids club activities, football, trampolines, play park, mini arcade, pool activities and mini disco. The aqua aerobics was fab!! It was so much fun, the music got everyone in the mood to join in, there was about 40 people joining in most days! Great to burn off some fat after all that food and drink! The drinks were lovely and strong too! The Que. for the bar was no bigger than what you would expect in a pub. The night entertainment was ok, did finish early but its a family resort. Would be nice if they did a disco later on one night so people could get up for a dance! Overall the hotel was very well run, the staff worked hard and seemed to enjoy their job, they were always happy to help. We really enjoyed our stay here even with 2 days rain in august!

7  Thank Shellibe
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I will keep this short and use bullet points to make things easier for people to read.
-Family of 5 (mum,dad 5, 3 year old and 6 month old baby)booked for 2 weeks peak season for £5200 via first choice.
-It takes about an hour for the transfer from airport to hotel. (Quite long with small children)
-excellent layout everything centred around the pool, all x5 blocks of accommodation are a stones throw.
-pool bar, nice staff, quick service, good selection of food, can get busy so we used to go after 1.30 for lunch.
-restaurant, good selection of fresh food, can get repetitive after 2 weeks but what al can't. It's manic when the chocolate fountain comes out.
-main bar,good quick service and a wide range of drinks, branded. As mainly English guests queues did form and no pushing in.
-rooms, sheets and towels changed 5 out of 7 days but nothing else touched. I cleaned our sink, bath etc and swept floor many times. We had a cot in our room that was not used as we brought a travel crib for our baby and we was billed 56 euros! I was not aware that there was a charge and we did not use this.
-pools- clean and toilets checked regularly. We had to put towels down early to get beds. Splash pool, my 5 year old cut his back and I did notice other children with the same marks in the same place? Inside Pool not heated.
Entertainment, the kids loved the dancing and hotel characters making an appearance, adult entertainment ok.
To sum up, excellent resort for families especially with young children, restaurant, pool and rooms great, ideal holiday if you don't want to leave resort. the area itself very dirty and not a lot there. The beach is a little far.
Our pram had been damaged and we noticed this on arrival at the hotel, we informed our first choice rep who said we could report it at the airport when we arrived there to depart, this was not the case and we were told we'd have to take the matter up with first choice. Regarding the cot charge our rep also told us he would deal with the issue but on leaving he had done nothing so we still had to pay. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view and low floor if small children.
4  Thank Han3tor
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have just returned from this fabulous hotel and had a great time. We were a family of 5 consisting of mum, dad, 8 and 5 year old boys and grandma. The hotel is amazing clean and had a wow factor as soon as we stepped in. The apartment was very spacious and clean with a small kitchen area with fridge which was handy to make a cup of tea. The bathroom had 2 showers with was handy to save time in the evening. We didn't realise that we needed to leave towels in the bath to have them changed until a few days in so thats a tip. The grounds of the hotel were beautiful, my 8 year old spent each evening finding frogs in the ponds. The entertainment for the children was brill, supervised kids club from 10 -12. 45 then drop in things in the afternoon including football, pool games and loads more. Loads of activities for adults too could never be bored. The food was great especially chocolate Wednesday. So much variety. The bar served from a menu from 12-4 which was a nice change to buffet all the time. They gave u a buzzer to let u know when its ready and could be ate in or take away. Sunbeds wasn't an issue getting at all for us and towels can be issued on arrival then changed at the pool from 10-12 on mon, wed, fri so u don't even need your own ones. I could waffle on about this hotel forever but over all its great and you will have a great hols. One last thing make sure u take a little trip on the train around can picafort we got on at stop 2 on the main road and off at 11 which was a lovely part of the beach and then save your ticket to get back on or just go all the way round for a little journey, its great. Ask your rep they will tell u all about it!

12  Thank Allieshep
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Our second visit, and we are likely to return as the pools are great, the staff are great, food is exceptional and staff lovely. Big downsides; beds very uncomfortable, room air com average, and evening entertainment rubbish and repetitive.

Stayed: August 2014
#6 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia
Viva Blue & Spa
Viva Blue & Spa
#1 of 30 in Playa de Muro

Been to Zafiro Can Picafort? Share your experiences!