“Excellent hotel close to beach”

Hotel THB Gran Playa
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We arrived at 900pm and the receptionist asked if we wanted to have some dinner before we went to our room. We did so although quite tired from the travelling.

We then arrived in our room and it was lovely and clean.

The rooms were cleaned all days and we had the option of do not disturb. We was on the 3rd floor and there were 2 lifts available.

The food for breakfast and dinner was very good with quite alot of buffet choice.

The staff were all excellent and helpful.

All the amenities were close by.

I would have no hesitation in going back again subject to the price of course.

Thanks

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank mark d
THBHOTELS, Gerente at Hotel THB Gran Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear customer,

We are very pleased that our customers have the intention to visit our hotel again. We hope to see you back with us soon.

The Management.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Well, where to start? I travelled as a family group of 5 adults and 2 children AI basis and we all had one of the best holidays of all time.
Pros:
Location - In the centre of the resort and about a minute to the huge beach
Rooms - Cleaned everyday and has TV, fridge, air con
Food - Unbelievable meals three times a day. Show cooking at each meal time and a large variety of choice. This is the first time I have been away AI and not wanted to go and eat elsewhere during the stay, it really is that good. Be warned though, if you're after burgers and chips every day then this is NOT the hotel for you.
AI: Snacks consisted of fruit and sandwiches and the bar was open from 10am - midnight.
Staff - Friendly and did everything possible to make our stay fantastic. On the morning of our departure, the hotel put a special breakfast on for us so we didn't leave without eating. I have never known a hotel do this before.
Pools: There is a larger pool and a children's pool. Both heated and with a lifeguard on duty all day.
Gym: On the top floor, free for guests and consisted of Treadmil, Cross Trainer, Exercise bikes, Sauna, Steam Room and Jacuzzi. Fantastic views of Can Picafort.

Cons:
Children's Entertainment - I would have given this hotel 5/5 if it had a children's entertainment programme, which it does not, this wasn't a problem for us, but I imagine it could be for some.
Adult Entertainment - There was a show every other day. Again, this wasm't a problem for us, but some guests expected shows nightly.

Resort:
Can Picafort is a lovely resort with bars, shops and restaurants aplenty.
If you don't fancy walking, there is a train which takes you round the resort, and for 3.50 (Euros) for a 24hr ticket you can't go wrong.
The beach is fantastic and seems to stretch for miles. On the beach, you can higher sunbeds and umberellas, pedalos etc.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. You will have an excellent holiday here and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, as some overlook a bar.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 9 August 2013

When I first saw some of the reviews for this hotel I was tempted to cancel but THANK GOODNESS I DID'NT this hotel is in the most fantastic place two minutes from the beach the resort is one of the nicest and cleanest I have seen in Majorca and is busy and bustling with people but without the feeling of being overcrowded there are some lovely shops and stalls set set up at night no sign of any "time share" reps and only a couple of " looky looky" men making peaceful walks out at all times!
Now the hotel .... The staff are excellent very friendly, the food was also good we were all inclusive and breakfast had everything you want from fruit, cereal, breads, cold meat and cheeses plus the usual cooked items including the grill section where omelette and fried eggs were cooked to order, lunch and dinner had lots of options and wine lager plus soft drinks and water on tap and every mealtime they had a chef cooking different meat and fish on the grill to order and a selection of fruit and cakes for dessert .... Not sure what some people expect but I could not complain about anything and we never queued once and went in at different times! The rooms are typical for most hotels they have beds and a bathroom a fridge air-con and were cleaned everyday and if you put the towels you wanted changing on the floor as the note in the bathroom says they were changed! Little extras in the bathroom were nice touch ... so no complaints with the room from me after all I booked a week in Spain to spend in the sun not a hotel room! Now the pool yes it's small but I travelled with two young children in our party a four year old and a 19 month and there was never a day we did not get a seat round the pool and we did not have to get up in the middle of the night to put our towels on chairs and the kids loved the pool and the beach was too hot for the children and adults! The entertainment at night is maybe its downfall it is on maybe four times a week and is good when on but as others have said its not a long show but there are plenty places nearby if you require more then your own company some nights! Would we book again ..... Too right already looking at the website!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
8  Thank learner21
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Went to this hotel with my daughter and absolutely loved it. The staff were very friendly and helpful and were happy to answer any questions we had about the surrounding areas. The food was very nice with a variety each night however would not appeal to customers used to fried, fast food. The room was lovely and spacious however rather basic, although this didnt matter too much as not a lot of time was spent there . The hotel was also very clean although a couple times our towels were not changed when asked or counters in bathroom were not wiped, however after mentioned to the maid was sorted immediately. Bar and entertainment at the hotel was great, we did visit the poker bar next door numerous times which was extremely friendly and reasonably priced. Overall I'm extremely impressed with this hotel and would recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Ali_cat1394
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The hotel was perfect for a beach holiday (the beach was 2 mins away) The room wasn't large but clean, had a fridge, a TV, very comfy beds, nice bathroom and great air conditioning. The breakfast had a wide variety of hot or cold choices which were all fresh and tasty + set us up for the day. We spent every day on the beach and there were lots of cafes/resturants for lunch and evening meals on the prom.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Northwesteng
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Arrived here and greeted by a very nice receptionist called Pep. Didn't speak a lot of English but was very friendly. Our room was on the top floor with a great sea view. Rooms are small but has everything u need including a fridge and air conditioning. Hotel carpet could do with replacing and air conditioning on hotel floors would be nice as very stuffy in there. The pool area is 'very small' and not that many sun beds so there is the usual problem of towels being put out early. There is a children's pool but it is more like a big bath! The restaurant is really good, there is a huge variety of food to choose from, I had sword fish for the first time and it was amazing. The staff are all very friendly and helpful as well. The location is perfect only two minutes to the beach and right in the centre of the town, not busy or loud though. I would return here mainly for the location but would like a bigger pool and sun bathing area which was a big let down. There isn't a lot to do at the hotel itself, but if you wanted a hotel close to beach and town with good food then this would be a good choice. Is definitely worth going all inclusive as well. Just to add as well, in the bar area there is a big fridge which is full of ready made sandwiches and fruit salads which you can help yourselves to on all inclusive, ideal if going out for the day, this isn't actually advertised though and didn't find this out until the third day. Ice cream is not included on all inclusive.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank angeh15
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This was my second visit to Majorca and I usually board self catering. The peaceful and well-located hotel was appealing to me and my mum. Upon arrival, we were pleasantly greeted and we were in time for our evening meal. The Dining Manager was lovely! He instantly made us feel very welcome. We stayed half board, and we were glad we did. It meant that we weren't tied down to the hour half slot of lunch and we only paid 2Euros on an evening for a drink each with our meal (drinks are included at breakfasts.) The entertainment at the hotel was quite poor. There were only 3 nights of entertainment which only lasted for hour and a half! Lights were turned out at midnight, but the hotel is situated amongst a bunch of pleasant bars anyway...

The double room was very clean. Thankfully, it was equipped with a mini-fridge! The bed was firm: perfect for me! We were facing the main street on the second floor. The balcony was small but we got the sun for most of the day. We were very lucky not to be at the noisy side; we were near the pool/hotel entertainment side and it was quite peaceful. I imagine the best rooms for view and quietness are on the top floor facing the beach.

Rooms were cleaned daily. The reception staff were very friendly. As we booked our flight and hotel separately, we missed having a rep. The hotel has many German-based tours which are displayed in the foyer - I struggled to find any English trips at first (so did the hotel receptionist). I managed to phone a rep from one of the only two English folders and they recommended that I spoke to my own reception and ask for 'No Frills Tours' leaflet. Once I was given this information, I was able to book my tour to the Caves of Drach. This was an excellent day out!

The pool was adequate. It was not very busy and there weren't many kids playing. The hotel is mainly ideal for adults.

The food was quite nice. There was always a variety each evening.The buffet-style restaurant had a very calm atmosphere and we were always welcomed with a smile. Some of the food was a little salty, but overall, there was a good selection of meats, salad, rice, dips, cakes and fruit: something for everyone. The melon became rather addictive!

To conclude, this was a really nice peaceful break. It was based in a great location for the local train ride and bus. The beach is just around the corner and the parade of shops are just a stone's throw away!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor facing the sea if you want a quiet night's sleep!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
#10 of 39 in Ca'n Picafort
Hotel Thb Sur Mallorca
Hotel Thb Sur Mallorca
#5 of 18 in Colonia de Sant Jordi

Been to Hotel THB Gran Playa? Share your experiences!