“Great place for cyclists” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Grupotel Gran Vista & Spa
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
London, United Kingdom
“Great place for cyclists”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2010

Travelled as a single male and given the previous reviews was a little concerned about the reception I'd get - but absolutely no problems. Its a great place to base your cycling / training from as you can utilise the plains or the mountains. The staff were all extremely helpful and spoke as best english as they could (much better then my spanish or german - why do some people complain so). Facilities fabulous and just what you'd expect from somewhere catering for german guests. Worthy of a special mention - Nadine at the bike centre - so helpful to me since I clearly didn't understand the Max Hurzeler site completely. Helen in the spa for being so helpfull and accomodating. Others include the bar staff and the Maitre'd. The ladies who cleaned my room also for putting up with all the sand.
The food was excellent and plentiful - being a cyclist thats always helful - no one really noticed how many courses I actually ate!
My only complaint was one male receptionist who confused me at every encounter.
Don't worry about some of the comments you may have seen - unless you like picking faults this place is well located, clean, well appointed and more than any British cyclist on a training camp pakage coule ever hope to expect.
Just one note of caution - much nudity in the spa. Not a problem for me but some prudes seemed to have a problem. Enough said.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank bikeruk00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2010

My husband and I stayed at The Gran Vista for 2 weeks on a half board basis.

POSITIVES:

-LOCATION:
The hotel is in Can Picafort, a short drive (or bus ride) from Alcudia. It's a quieter place and less commercial than Alcudia which is perfect if you want a bit more peace or don't fancy being in a hotel/resort full of children. Directly outside the hotel there is a walkway down to the beach which is lined full of shops and restaurants.

-POOL/GARDENS:
The gardens and pool area were very nice and kept well presented. There were always plenty of sun beds to go around and enough space so you weren't on top of other guests.

-GUESTS:
Having been on several holidays in Mallorca in the past, I have frequently stayed at hotels/resorts predominately full of British people and have come across a lot of groups of rowdy guests. However, in Can Picafort, the guests are mainly German (couples, families, older people) and never encountered any problems with guests at the hotel. Everyone (including children) were well behaved.

-THE SPA CENTRE:
After a day of exploring or sitting in the sun, it was lovely to go to The Spa Centre for a while, with its calming music, heated pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam rooms. The staff there were also very nice and after 1pm only adults are permitted to enter (although some parents occasionally managed to get their children in by going towards the gym and climbing over the bridge into The Spa area).

NEGATIVES:

-CAR PARK
It's fairly small and if you hire a car it can be a pain sometimes trying to find a parking space, especially in the early evening. It tends to clear out early afternoon and again late evening when staff goes home. On the first occasion we couldn't find a space to park, we asked Reception if we could park outside the building instead, they said no and to park the car out on the street (which we ended up having to do on several occasions). It’s best not to park in the few spaces nearest to the hotel entrance as we witnesses several times guests being blocked in by delivery vans. Our hire car did suffer a small scratch whilst in the car park, but wasn't noticed on returning the car to the airport.

-STAFF (SOME)
To us, we got the impression the hotel was extremely Pro-German and Anti-British. I know 'Brits Abroad' have a bad reputation, but we were a couple in our late 20's with no children, hardly a family of several children or a group of 18 year old lads, so we can only assume the hotel just don't really like British people as a whole. The ratio of German to British guests was probably as high as 85/15%. Obviously that's not a problem, but the hotel seemed to be concerned about keeping them happy and didn't care about the few British guests that were there... although we were paying for the same service! Very few staff could understand English fluently and the Reception staff in particular we found incredibly rude at times. We went to ask about purchasing a WiFi card but the man on Reception just lifted his hands into the air and said "I don't speak English" and when we had to go to Reception because our key card had stopped working the man on Reception audibly sighed and instead of handing the key card back and saying it was fixed or even smiling, he just threw it on the counter and went back to reading his newspaper. When we went to check out there were 2 people on Reception, yet instead of stopping their chat to serve us, they carried on chatting. Throughout our entire stay we only came across 1 member of staff who was always pleasant and cheery to us, and that was the British lady who worked in The Spa Centre.

GENERAL

-ROOMS
The rooms were pretty standard. Two beds (comfortable enough), TV (which had BBC1 and ITV on it, but reception was sometimes very poor), balcony, fridge, air con and hair dryer (the kind you have to keep your finger on constantly). There was a safe for an extra charge. There were no tea/coffee making facilities and only a shower, no bath.

-FOOD
There was never a problem getting a seat and you could sit yourselves instead of having to queue and be seated by the staff. To be honest the food was very hit and miss. There were days when you could easily find a lot of things you liked, and others where nothing tempted you. Breakfast was adequate, the usual juice, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, cereals, fruit, pastries, hot breakfast etc. The staff were sometimes quite slow in replenishing food/glasses/mugs so if you were in a hurry I could see it would get frustrating. Every other the day the pan au chocolates had no chocolate in them, so don't know what was going on there! Dinner was pretty poor we thought, although the desserts were always pretty nice and there was always ice cream. After 5 days of pretty much eating the same things (poor quality meat and chips) we would look at the food first (before sitting) and if we couldn't find anything we would eat, then we would go out and eat at a restaurant. So my advice would be to go to this hotel on a B&B basis.

OTHER:
Further to the positive and negative comments above, the hotel has a gym which is located in The Spa Centre, a mini golf course which is located at the front of the hotel (adjacent to the main road), an internet corner in Reception, WiFi cards available, 4 lifts so you were never waiting too long for one, a hotel bar (with entertainment at night) and also a roof top bar which is nice and relaxing, especially early evening whilst the sun is going down. The bar beside the pool had a reasonable priced lunch menu and we ate there on several occasions.

Overall a very nice hotel, pleasant, relaxing, it's just a shame the staff had to spoil the experience for us ever so slightly.

4 Thank LondonPinkcat
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

The hotel was extremely clean and tidy and was only a 5 minute walk to the resort centre down a street filled with nice restaurants and shops. There is a busy road outside the hotel however you can not hear it from the hotel and we had no problem crossing it everyday. It was good also as you are near the main bus routes to alcudia and cala bona. I personally thought that the food was great, there was a different theme every night and everything was well cooked, but in all big hotels you may have to do a small amount of queuing in the buffet area. Alot of people have commented about the amount of germans staying in the hotel, as a british person you are the minority and the kids club is mostly in german and spanish, however all the staff were extremely welcoming and all announcements were said in german, spanish and english. The majority of germans were families with children and were very friendly. The entertainment was good and they held weekly events and shows around the pool. Overall i would recommend this hotel to anyone just make sure you get a room overlooking the pool and not the loading bay entrance.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2009

I am disappointed that my review has not been published. We stayed at the Gran Vista from Sept.24th to Oct. 8th. I wrote my review about 3 weeks ago. the main points were that the hotel was very clean and grounds well maintained with 2 lovely swimming pools and gardens. However the buffett area was very crowded and far too small .There was a good chice of food but the food quality was very average Didnt quite live up to its Platinum status,
Reg Yorks.

England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

We had very much looked forward to this holiday but left most disappointed and disillusioned. For the first time ever ,and we have been on many holidays,we had a distinct feeling of being unwelcome and in the end we could not wait to leave for home.

Rooms, including bathrooms, are on the small side and we have never before stopped in a Hotel with just a shower available.The beds are most uncomfortable, the mattresses are very hard and unyielding and the pillows unsupportive.

Dining-being a family hotel and self service I found it most surprising to see children being allowed to run in the dining room. Allowing push chairs in the servery only adds to the general melee, and something of a scrum, with the general indecision of guests of what to eat. It was always on my mind this was an accident waiting to happen.

Food - there is no denying there was a good selection available for dinner but the quality of cooked items was poor- an opinion shared by other British guests we spoke with. The Themed nights,when the staff dress up in different costumes (?), is not altogether successful and, whilst there are some national dishes available, depending on the theme, always the German tastes are catered for. Pork in various guises , chops,stews etc was available every night I would have thought and chicken,turkey and rabbit some nights. It was our experience that the beef and lamb, when available and that was not often, was by no means tender and we would have to leave more on our plates than we would wish.The sweets were very much of a muchness and certainly nothing to get excited about. A good selection of cereals , cold meats and cheeses, and cooked items was available for breakfast but again more to suit the German residents.
Entertainment -the professional acts were considerd to be reasonably good entertainment but the resident animation team in our opinion was less than satisfactory.

Reception-having waited a few minutes to be attended to- one male on the telephone and the other talking to and looking at photographs on a German resident's camera-I was disgusted and found it extremely rude when the latter, ignoring me, went on to speak and deal with a German lady, complete with suitcases and clearly leaving, who had arrived some minutes after me.When the male,who had been on the 'phone, asked what I wanted I complained about being overlooked but received no apology.That set the tone and from then on there was a distinct mutual coldness on the few occasions I made use of Reception.
There was a table in Reception on which stood drinking glasses and a Welcome message.On arrival I asked where our drink was and was referred to our Thomson represenative.To my knowledge the facility was used only the once and for German guests.In our room on arrival there was a small bottle of drinking water with a Thomson Platinum welcome card-I suppose you have to be thankful for small mercies but our holiday was not cheap and in my opinion it is almost insulting.
On one night the electricity on our floor ( I do not know about the others ) went off for an hour and there was never an explanation nor an apology. The power elsewhere in the Hotel was not affected.
Previous guests have reported " Meet the Management " welcome parties-we were never invited to one.
On the occasions we were in the Bar the Children's Club was run only in German.
On the afternoon of 16 October at 4pm I noticed Drinks and Cakes were provided from the Bar to residents sitting around the pool area. I telephoned to reception to find out why only Germans were invited and was passed on to another member of staff who tried to explain we were not with Tui but Thomsons and that the Germans had been charged for this in their holiday costs.I explained Thomsons was Tui and with that he told me he would get the Director ( Manager ) to ring me back.I am still waiting and when mentioning this to the Thomson rep on the Saturday morning she made a note suggesting she would have a word with the Director. Still no response. I consider we were being treated as second class citizens and the Hotel is responsible for creating the divide between the German guests and other nationalities.
The cleanliness in the Hotel is exemplary and the staff appear to work hard to please.It must be Group/Hotel policy to train the Staff, who seem quite fluent in German, to look after German residents and certainly very few staff members understand or are able to speak English.We have got on well with the German residents we have had contact with and indeed on previous occasions when we have stayed at Riu and Grupotel Hotels we have enjoyed our contact with them. Certainly we have no complaints at all about them and all criticism is about the Hotel itself.. As I have said this is not an International/European Hotel but a Hotel for Germans and it will be many years before it will be anything different. Our presence appears to be an embarrassment and the management appears to have the philosophy if we ignore them, as indeed they do, they will go away.I was under the impression we are all European and should be treated the same but do not expect this at this Hotel if you are not German.As I have said this in no way should be considered as a Platinum Hotel -there are far too many things wrong with it-and I consider we were misled into paying Platinum prices for a Hotel undeserving of such a prestigous rating.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Poole, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

I'll start with the good points - the hotel is great, lovely and clean. The pools, grounds etc are kept clean and tidy and there are enough sun beds and room for everyone. All the staff are great and will do anything for you. Rooms are cleaned daily. Hotel is in a great location, shops and beach are not far away, ok you have to cross a busy road but there's a crossing at the bottom of the hotel with pedestrian lights and you don't have to wait long. Getting about the island, use public transport, its cheap and easy, although it does get busy on Tuesday (market at Alcudia) and Thursday (market at Inca). Now the not so good points - the buffet layout is bad, especially for evening meals. I think the hotel has gone more for seating area than food layout, when the weather is not so good everyone comes to dinner at the same time, it then becomes a scrum, think cross between Red Arrows and New Year Sales. They also put the food out in a strange way, fish, veg, meat, pasta, meat, veg, chips, fish, veg, meat etc, the only way to see what is available is to join the ever growing queue. The food is changed on a 7 day rota, quality of the food changes each night. I've stayed at 3 star hotels whose food quality and variation would put this hotel's to shame.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Grumpy_7
watford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

On arrival we were given room101 we wallked in and went onto the balcony It overlooked
the carpark loading bay and a dirty flat roof We returned to reception and asked for another room on the garden side as shown on their website Sorry all full It then cost me
240 euros to upgrade to a suite Nice view on the top floor under the roof top bar and it's speakers The hotel is nearly all germans and this is the language that is heared in the bar, the kiddies show ,and the evening If you are english you are blanked The restaurant is vast and the serving area small You have to queue with a small plate for most dishes lotsof which run out It's a bit like euston station Sorry this is not for us

3 Thank raytheranger
#1 of 30 in Playa de Muro
Prinsotel La Dorada
Prinsotel La Dorada
#6 of 30 in Playa de Muro

Been to Grupotel Gran Vista & Spa? Share your experiences!