“Great Hotel”
Review of Hotel Son Baulo

Hotel Son Baulo
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We spent a week at the Hotel Son Baulo in August and cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. Easily one of if not the best hotel in Can Picafort. The seafront location is excellent and traffic free but still next to the towns amenities. The beachfront rooms overlook the white sand beaches and the blue-green water of the North East coast of Mallorca, at the same time you can enjoy the beautiful and relaxing views to the Natural Park surrounding the terrace and the pool. The hotel has a charming atmosphere which avoids the corporate feel often experienced in larger hotels. We found the breakfast and reception staff extremely friendly and welcoming. The hotel is very clean and the rooms very comfortable too. We will look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank Stacy K
There are newer reviews for Hotel Son Baulo

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Me and my husband travelled to this hotel along with our 11yr old son in July 2012.
The most striking advantage to this hotel is the location. if you love a relaxing beach holiday then this is the perfect choice. You have the choice of the pool or just step of the hotel steps onto the gorgeous beach. The hotel itself is clean, the entertainment is good at night, the food is excellent - in the morning omlettes are cooked freshly on a hot plate - be warned - they are massive! Our room overlooked the pool which was perfect - the rooms overlooking the road are not such a nice view though. The area is very quiet but a few bars a short walk away with Ca'n Picafort in walking distance and much busier.
The only negative thing i would say is the volleyball tournament each day - the kids are kicked out of the pool whilst this goes on - the childrens pool is not very big and there isnt enough space when they have the volleyball.
Overall - perfect and would love to return one day :-)

Room Tip: Ask for Pool view if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank Coves_3
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Stayed at the Son Baulo in August 2012 for 2 weeks, our third year at the hotel. What a disappointment. Our two previous visits were thoroughly enjoyed, however this year there was a distinct change in atmosphere at the hotel. Son Baulo now accepts Italian guests (who we found to be fine) but I feel this has changed the atmosphere at the hotel - it used to have such a lovely friendly, family feel about it, but this was non-existent this year. The hotel is tired and in need of updating - in all areas, rooms, public areas, pool area etc. The rooms are cleaned daily apart from Wednesdays - this was new for 2012 - however we found the level of cleanliness to have declined (in all parts of the hotel). When I complained to Reception about the dirty floors in our interconnecting rooms, I was rewarded with a look of frosty amazement. Most unhelpful. The food was most definitely not as good as previous years, both quality and selection. Entertainment was poor - Gill seems to have lost some enthusiasm/motivation and on the whole it was unprofessional. Kids mini disco was a joke, with teenagers being allowed to populate the stage and then spend most of the time looking distinctly bored!!
We have just returned from a weeks visit to Hotel Margarita in Zakynthos....which is what has prompted me to write this review of Son Baulo....the Margarita is a 3* hotel with a tremendous family atmosphere, spotless bedrooms & public areas, nigh on perfect food and an excellent entertainment team. It was a very reasonable price too. Reminded me of what the Son Baulo used to be like.
Would not return to the Son Baulo again, unless a refurbishment took place and their standards improved.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Dolly010
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We have stayed here previously 4 years ago and since have had 2 more children. We picked the hotel because we couldn't find fault with it the last time around. It's location was ideal. Food for children was great etc etc. HOWEVER! Since then the hotel is no longer a family hotel. The dining was a farse with few tables catering for a family of 5. There were numerous free tables for upto 6 people in a seperate section of the dining room available but families were turned away and doors locked at various times during peak dinner service because this area had been designated adults only. We were left circling the dining room with a very aggrevated 4 and 3 year old and teenager waiting for a table to become available. The Spanish staff were very apologetic but had stated it was the managers decision! One British member of staff was extremely rude during breakfast service having waited some time for a table it was close to the end of service so we had gathered what we needed for breakfast for 5 only to be approached and told "I'm sorry you can't take that out of the dining hall"!!! We had no intention of doing so and had done this merely in order so staff could clear away whilst we ate. The same member of staff circled us like a shark taking things from under our nose the moment it hit the table to the point I had to ask her to leave and then reported it to reception.The reception staff were very apologetic and did ensure the member of staff was spoken to. Its irritating having paid in excess of £3000 for a holiday having difficulty getting seated to eat. When we did eat the food was poor, significantly different from our last visit. The children's menu seemed an afterthought with very little variety. It didn't stop there. The prices of beverages are the most expensive in the area! I strongly suggest you take your evening entertainment outside the hotel. The evening entertainment seems to be focused entirely on a mini disco followed by bingo. we booked adjoining rooms which was a double for myself and husband and an interconnecting room for our boys. The rooms were not child friendly given the fact they know the ages of the children in advance. There were free standing mirrors with little support, the wardrobe doors squeaked ( screached is probably
More appropriate) when you opened or closed them and the decor can only be compared to a low end chalet at a holiday park. This place is in serious need of some TLC and updating and the furniture was very dated and sparce for such a big interconnecting room and didn't even have a dressing table in either room. You have to Pay for the use
Of the safe and fridge in the room and again considering what was paid for the room I think this should be included. The cleaners come in daily but do the bare minimum. I asked the cleaner for a broom myself after the first couple of days as everything from floor sand crumbs etc are just swept out onto balcony rather than swept up which resulted in us having an ant infestation. I reported it and the room was sprayed and swept soon after, however 2 days later, the morning of our final day when I went to wake my son up as we had an early start I pulled the covers back to find him crawling in ants!! Fortunately he was fast asleep and I was able to rub them off before he awoke. By this point I couldn't wait for the coach to come to take us to the airport. I now realise where the little bumps had been coming from which I had initially thought was heat rash! Both my husband and son had bad eye infections which required a trip to the pharmacy and the only water either had been in contact with was that of the children's pool and showers. We had a leak in the bathroom too which rendered one of the sinks out of order until the maintenance man walked in to repair the wrong one whilst I was mid change without warning! I hate the fact I am having to write this and have waited some time to write it in order to try and find something positive to say so here are the positives.
The recpetion staff are very helpful and polite and wayne the night reception is a legend, super helpful, and a bit of a comic genius to be fair he should be on stage. The area is second to none it's beautiful, walk out of the back of the hotel and you are on the beach, the prominade is lovely with child friendly route taking you right into c'an picafort town. The views from the balcony are therefore stunning. The local pubs are great but avoid the beach bar unless you want to be fleeced completely £1.70 for a can of fanta! The best thing I can say is if you want to go to butlins but want the sun this is perfect for you ( with less entertainment) i sincerely hope this hotel look Into some of the complaints listed as until this visit I would have said it was the best holiday we had had without a doubt it's such a shame. It took us a fair while to save for this holiday and this hotel is one of the most expensive in the area but we thought having been there before and loved it soo much it was a safe bet with our 2 younger children. We were wrong.!! Scratch the surface and you will find any number of issues here particularly if you have a young family like us. The games in the arcade are decades old and wouldn't hold the attention of your average 5 yr old let alone a teenager and the wifi communal areas as advertised were none existent and possibly part of the reason the dining room was always so clogged up as I saw several families on mobiles in dining area as this must have been the wifi hotspot, we don't allow phones at the table so I was unable to assess the wifi there but it certainly didn't work anywhere else in hotel ! We went to the local pub scandals down the road which has free wifi. Good priced drinks and excellent staff as we needed to check in on business whilst away. We met some lovely people in this bar and the vast majority were from our hotel so clearly we were not the only ones who felt this way about the entertainment and drink prices.

• Stayed: July 2012
10  Thank Stephens0n
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We stayed here for the 2nd time with extended family after originally coming here 2 years ago. Nothing had changed, not even the staff, who I must add recognised us and couldn't do enough to help. They are extremely good with children. My little girl loved the waiters joking with her all the time.

This is a typical Spanish hotel which has everything you need. You have to remember that whilst abroad your room is mainly used to sleep in, not to entertain.
Regarding the fridge etc to hire, this is stated that they are not included in the room price, we took our own little travel kettle which are light enough to pack in main suitcase.
Also my mum didn't sleep too well the 1st night of being there as her pillows were extremely hard, so in the morning when the maids came around she mentioned it to them. Even though they aren't great at speaking English they asked my mum to go with them and choose her own that she liked. Something you wouldn't find happening in an English hotel very often!!!

The breakfasts are particularly nice and were always a favourite amongst us. However, even travelling with a 5 year old, there was always something to find for her to eat in the evening.
Even though the weather wasn't to be desired for the week we was there, the hotel is most enjoyable just to be in and to be part of.

My mum and dad have already booked to go again next year & we will be joining them the year after.
i would and have recommended this hotel to everyone!

Room Tip: Definitely pay extra to upgrade to a superior room that will have a sea view and ask to be on a high...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank Donna M
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Arrived on Tuesday 2 Oct 2012. My wife and I first impressions were good, the hotel was well placed by the beach and was clean and tidy. We had an upgraded room 247 on the second floor, with pleasant sea views. The room was a good size but had no seating for guests. The fridge cost 18 euro for one week - rather expensive.
During the week the evening meal deteriorated from quite good to poor. My wife had food poisoning, which was due to the hotel as we only eat at the hotel. We reported this to the hotel management and the Thomson rep. My wife was ill for nearly two days.
We noticed that there was no hygene precautions on entering the restaurant and staff were taking food from 20.30 onwards; dinner did not finish until 21.00.
I wrote to Thomsons on the 11 October to complain and still await a reply (22 oct).
The staff were very good apart from the head wine waiter.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view above 2nd floor level - 3rd or 4th floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank James s
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This is the first time to this hotel and what a pleasant surprise. Fabulous location away from the crowds (altho this time of year there weren't any). Next door to a nature reserve with lovely walks. A market on a Friday right on the doorstep and local buses to get round the Island. The hotel is clean and comfortable. The staff are lovely and provide a warm welcome and boy are they funny and entertaining. The food could in fairness do with a little help but there is plenty to choose from most of the time. The beach is on the doorstep and is cleaned everyday but the hotel terrace provides a comfortable place to stay for the day and beds are plentiful. Again October is quite quiet so cannot comment on what it would be like in winter. The beach beds are in an appalling condition and very expensive for what is effectively tat.

The rooms are a little outdated and it would have been nice if the fridges had been free and one for the management of Son Baulo - I couldn't find anywhere that said you have hairdryers in the rooms. But you doo and so I took one I didn't need !

The entertainment is interesting but the Kids club "advisers" provided some fun for the adults nevermind the kids. Gill is outstanding and could keep the place entertained by herself - she's lovely backed by the waiters who are great.

We will definitely go back as this was the best holiday we have had for a while and we take three or more a year.

Room Tip: I would say if you want sun in the afternoon then choose to overlook the pool. However many of the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family