“Ok Hotel and Resort, a little quiet for us.” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Son Baulo
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Nottingham, England
“Ok Hotel and Resort, a little quiet for us.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

We arrived at the Son Baulo Hotel after a night flight so we were very tired and appreciated the speedy check in.

We didn't pay more for the superior room, as on holiday we are not bothered too much about having a tv, fridge etc and as we don't spend too much time in the hotel room, we thought paying more for a sea view room may be wasted on us. However, after a couple of nights we wish we did pay more as the road noise from the side of the hotel we was on was quite loud. I was often woken up by buses and cars going by, this road is constantly busy, it does get less busy during the night but cars/buses can still be heard.

The location of the hotel is ok if you are looking for a beach holiday as it is situated right on the beach and close to the nature reserve (which i recommend walking around). However for us we thought the resort was a little quiet, we are by no means party animals, but a little more to see and do at night would have been nice. We did walk down the front, but the bars there are all the same and not our kind of thing.

The hotel was clean and the towels changed regularly, all staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. The reps were also very helpful and full of advice of things to do and see.

We hired bikes and cycled into Alcudia, and we also went on a day trip to Palma with No Frills (who are much cheaper than Thomson for trips, so check them out). We would also recommend the Don Juan bar which is just over the road from the hotel as the staff in here are great and it is a nice place to spend the evening.

I do not think that we would return to this hotel or resort, but only because we feel that we did all there was to do there. For a relaxing beach holiday it is very apt, but if you want a little more to do in the day and evenings and like to explore you may find that hard without hiring a car or going on a few days trips.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank leopardprinttights

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Yeovil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

I travelled with my husband and two children (8 and 4) on 22 August for two weeks and totally recommend this hotel for location and convenience with children. We were the first drop off from Palma Aiport through Thompsons (1 hour coach journey max).

We upgraded direct with the hotel to a suite and had such a fabulous room with the best views ever along with 3 balconys. I purposely made myself get up at 7am each morning to witness and photograph the fabulous outstanding sunrises as we had a seaview, nature reserve view and pool view. The only downside to this room was not having a bedroom mirror (not sure why and didn't really need one as the bathrooms was adequate.

The hotel staff were fantastic and work extremely hard. We had such fantastic excellent service from all the waiting staff including Manual, Ziggy, Pedro, Noel, Gabriel, Antonio, Juan, Martin etc. They work so hard every day and was lovely to see the same faces throughout our two week stay. Missing my Black Russian cocktails badly!

We used to eat lunchtimes at the Terrace Restaurant and thought the prices were very reasonable and gave my family some time out from the non-stop sunshine. (Again served by same waiting staff). Lovely to be able to watch the waves whilst enjoying a beer with lunch.

The Hotel restaurant was very good with a wide variety of selections. I particularly enjoyed the Majorcan dinner. Breakfast - make sure you taste a small sample of milk first before covering your cereals. There were always two jugs of milk and one usually tasted dreadful whilst the other was totally fresh!

The kids club was enjoyed by my two children. Tots (3-5 years) from 10-12 and Team (6-8 years) 1-3 pm. They were given a t-shirt, hat and won water bottles or other prizes and especially loved the chocolate party during one evening 7-9 pm. However needed showers after so be warned if this is your last night! This gave me and my husband some free time to enjoy our dinner in peace.

We enjoyed the trip organised by Thomson to Marine World and Western Water Park even though it was extremely hot. However, felt not enough time spent at Marine World and only communal changing rooms at the water park? Bit strange in these times!

Entertainment at the hotel was okay. Kids disco at 8.30 pm which is slightly too late for my youngest. Enjoyable though for my kids and husband (who got dragged up on stage too!) Bingo followed and then entertainment started at 10 pm and sadly only saw one show (George Pena) with my 8 year old too. What a funny guy who had everyone in stitches including my son. Please keep this guy Hotel Son Baulo.

The Thomson reps - Alex and Vivienne were very approachable and available a lot of the time. So lovely to see them around for a friendly hi during the daytime. Very helpful too!

Lovely to be at such an extremely friendly hotel and can easily see why guests return year after year. Perfect for location by being on the beach with easy access to hotel and pool too.

Definitely would like to return again next year. Kids want to return too!

4 Thank LisaJane333
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

I stayed in Son Baulo from the 8th-22nd august 2010 and I really enjoyed my stay there. The rooms where spotless, the maids were in everyday fixing/changing bedding and bins. The receptionists and waiters are the most friendly, pleasant and hardworking people ever. The hotel is situated close to shops and bars. The hotel has good entertainment on everynight and for kids of young ages it has a kids club. The food was very good and something different to choose from each night. Son Baulo is situated beside the beach which has volleyball, football and pedlows to choose from as activities. The hotels swimming pool is of a very good size (it has also has a kids pool). I would recommend Scandals, the crazy horse (which are both a straight short walk up the street from Son Baulo and the red lion which is a bit of a longer walk to anyone who is looking for a good bar to go to at night. The entertainment and drink in them is both good/cheap. Overall I cant complain about anything with the Son Baulo and I would reccomend it to people of all ages! im definatley hopeing to get back to it again in the future as in my opinion it is the best hotel I have ever stayed in!, I hope this helps everyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank MarieD94
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

- nice location, on the beach, handful of bars & shops opposite, as well as bus stop, train stop & taxis
- beach isn't cleaned regularly - build up of seaweed for a few days before cleared away
- good sized rooms with satellite TV and fridge (we paid for superior seaview) - were given 2 rooms together as requested
- not a particularly high standard of cleanliness in the bedrooms - dusty bathrooms, dirty floors etc. - very much 'surface cleaning'; public areas (incl. toilets) were cleaned regularly though
- food delicious and usually good choice - desserts especially nice - in all restaurants at the hotel. Selection a little hit & miss - e.g. fresh fruit some mornings, not others and food temperature varied. Was nice to have smaller plates and cups (plastic) for children (in main restaurant). Cheese in main restaurant needs to be covered - I thought it was tasty until I witnessed a fly having a good old munch on it one evening
- noisy restaurant - constantly busy with waiting staff and their 'slop trolleys' - literally scraping & stacking plates all the time right by the tables - very much a school dining room feel, although efficient waiter service for drinks
- drinks reasonably priced....although make sure you ask for a warm bottle of red wine unless you like it straight from the fridge! Coffee from the pool bar - ask for a cappuccino and you get filter coffee with squeezy whipped cream - unusual but delicious!
- crowded pool area - quieter during our second week, no rush for sunbeds then as hotel was quieter. Nice breeze and plenty of umbrellas. Pool needs a good clean.
- friendly & polite staff although I wouldn't agree with some comments about them being the best on the island
- dreadful noise during the night - all night - starting around 11pm - people coming and going to their rooms, shouting, running, scraping of furniture, the lifts going up & down....very disturbing throughout the night
- even worse cooking smells starting around 4am each morning wafting through the vents in the bathroom - sometimes like fried bread, sometimes like bacon....nice on the first morning, not so nice 14 mornings later!
- walk along promenade into town - more like a 20 minute march not a stroll....and a bleak one too....parts of promenade poorly lit, hardly any signs of life along the way.
- town is busy busy busy and a little tacky....and very German orientated
- road train is lovely - €3 euro return per person, taxi is equally as efficient and quicker
- market opposite every Friday morning - makes a nice change to stroll along (gets hot as in the sun) however be prepared for every other stall selling the same goods....clothes or fake designer handbags...look out for the giant orange selling freshly squeezed orange juice - delicious
- kids mini-disco....would be nicer if started a little earlier (8.30pm - 9pm is a bit too late) and the songs are too old for children under 5 really. Odd choice of songs too.
Had a nice time but wouldn't return. Would possibly recommend.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Arundel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

I wish to share with you, mine and my family`s joys of staying at the Hotel Son Baulo,Ca`n Picafort, Majorca. We discovered the Son Baulo purely by chance in 1981 when my family were quite young and we were looking for somewhere suitable and safe for my daughter and son on our first holiday abroad.Little did I realise that the Son Baulo has the best beach position in Ca`n Picafort and probably one of the bast in Majorca, no road or even pavement in front of the hotel,simply walk out of the hotel on to the terrace then on to the beach and into the sea.The beach is large and the sea is monitored by lifeguards in season. The Hotel is run by a Majorcan family who are very down to earth,friendly and caring,as are all their staff who return to the hotel every season,in fact there are several staff members present who worked there on our first visit in 1981. The hotel offers all the usual things that most good hotels do,good food and drinks,exellent entertainment with clean and comfortable air conditioned rooms,but they are delivered in a way that makes you believe that anything is possible and nothing is too much trouble. We did try somewhere different in Majorca in 1982 but we were so dissapointed that we have returned to the Hotel Son Baulo every year since,including a fantastic 50th birthday holiday and a 60th birthday holiday when not only my daughter and son came along,but also my grand-daughter and grandson. We have visited many different places including France,Germany and Malta and enjoyed each one very much but we always return to the Son Baulo,our little piece of heaven in Ca`n Picafort,and my wife and I are looking forward to our 30th aniversary of visits to the hotel next year

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MikeArundel
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

On arrival we were a bit dissappointed as we booked a year in advance and wanted poolside view, but were out road side, 2 days we were changed pool side smack in the middle, well happy!!Talk about a relaxing holiday, not once did you have to queue at the bar or take empty plates away, the waiters were there straight away,they work so hard all day and night, we went out most nights,quiz and karaoke at the crazy horse.Nice walks across the promenade, a bus into alcudia 3.90 euro for 3 of us,which you can catch to go to waterpark.My daughter would have love to use a lilo in the pool but were band in majorca due to health and safety.All in all a fabulous holiday and would recommend to anyone.

2 Thank caitlin7
Charlton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

i stayed at this hotel 23 aug found the hotel realy good hotel prices good for food and drink could always find something to eat at meal times just a realy good value for money hotel right on the beach

2 Thank johnnyholiday