“Almost perfect, but!”

Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Kildare, Ireland
“Almost perfect, but!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just spent a week at this hotel. The positives are:
Excellent service from staff, particularly Vicki from Thomsons, Jose Carlos and all staff in the restaurant. Definitely amongst the best I have experienced anywhere.
The evening entertainment at 9.30 is to a very high standard and varied.
the tranquility throughout the day is most relaxing and the policy of no under 16's is perfect for this.
To my mind there are only two negatives and the most glaring is the hot fare for lunch and dinner. There is virtually no local influence in the dishes served. Its chips, grills, roasts chips again etc.
However it must be stated that this seems to suit the vast majority of guests.
The other negative is sunbed grabbing. While there is a plentiful supply all the best positions are taken by 7AM.
If these two gripes are of no consequence to a prospective visitor, then I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: We were in junior suite in Block F. Basic furnishing but very good sleep quality.
1 Thank rolokildare

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned home from this fantastic hotel and already booked for next year .it was such a great place to relax and have fun at a slow pace.what can you say about the staff at this hotel but brilliant they looked after your every need the bar staff jaun and his team .the dinning room pedro and his team . Even the cleaning staff all great . And a special mention to jose maria the manager who made you feel like a friend from the moment you stepped into his hotel.two weeks that went to fast gutted about leaving such a fantastic place with its well maintained gardens and lovely people oh well just a year to wait until we will be there again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eddie h
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Good:

Food is great at breakfast and dinner, huge selection, piping hot.
Reception and restaurant staff very friendly.
Plenty of sunbeds, but unfortunately lots of them do get reserved very early. We left our room at 6am on the last day to catch the plane home, and loads of sunbeds around the pool had already been reserved!
Good variety of daytime entertainment, especially the water volleyball.
Rooms very clean and spacious.
Nice walk along the promenade to town, with lots of good restaurants, shops and cocktail bars.
Good selection of British TV channels, so always something decent to watch whilst getting ready each evening before dinner.
Read lots of reviews saying the wifi is poor, but we stayed in Block A and it worked very well most of the time.

Room for improvement:

Bar staff need to smile, so grumpy.
Rooms could do with a refurb - towel rack in the bathroom broke and the shower itself was very temperamental. Room just looked very old.
Don't mind wearing long trousers for dinner, but then surely women can't be allowed to wear shorts!
Evening entertainment is aimed at over 60s. Also means you can't have a quiet drink at the hotel in the evening, as the entertainment is in the bar area. We therefore walked into town every evening for a quiet drink - would have liked to have been able to just chill at the hotel on a few occasions in the evening, but weren't able to.
We also found it was very noisy during the night, mainly doors slamming and the grass being cut well before 8am!. Only had a couple of good nights sleep. Stayed in other Thomson Gold hotels and never had this problem.

Overall, decent hotel, but I wouldn't return - stayed at better Thomson Gold hotels.

Room Tip: If you want a good wifi connection, stay in Block A.
2 Thank gooner1993
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I just returned from 10 days at this hotel. We were in D block overlooking towards the sea. North facing but this helped keep the room cool even without the air con on!
We went all-inclusive, but do question why all was not "inclusive?" Some food at the pool bar was chargeable?! The food in the restaurant was very good but very poor on selection for vegetarians. This needs addressing!
I went without long trousers cos I go on holiday to wear shorts/t-shirts etc. Was surprised that it was a hotel rule that gentlemen wear trousers as explained in the brochure. This was not apparent to me when booking. Certainly not made obvious! Had to buy a pair which annoyed me seeing that some of opposite sex could enter the room wearing the shortest skirts and hotpants??!!
The entertainment was excellent and Tasha and James were excellent and very friendly.
I wouldn't return to this hotel again although I would consider a Gold holiday in the future.

1 Thank Mark B
lincoln
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel back in June 2013!You may ask why have I taken so long to write a review?!!
After reading some reviews I had to comment on this wonderful hotel.what is wrong with the food? Decor? Entertainment? Food is excellent,decor doesn't bother me I'm on holiday and not spending a lot of time in room.It was very clean,towels changed daily along with a quick bathroom clean.We are in our mid 40s and made friends with people of all ages.we never stayed to watch much entertainment,we did watch a Gary Barlow act that was good as was the Sundaes as always.We found scandals pub that was great,drinks good price and staff very friendly(5 mins from hotel)so if you don't like the entertainment go elsewhere there are plenty of bars in can picafort and it's a lovely walk down the prom at night!
Staff at hotel are very helpful,went out of there way to help me get my nails gelled (thanks to young lady and Lesley on reception).
We will see you again in 2 weeks for our 25 wedding anniversary.
This is certainly no Hi-De-Hi hotel!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maniLincoln
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Totally agree with the Hi de Hi review

The basics, cleaning, staff ,pool etc were good and the food more than adequate, aside from being asked to leave the dining room when they were putting the cornflakes out for breakfast the next morning..
This hotel does cater for a certain type of person not necessarily based on their age.
If you enjoy the holiday camp organised activities then this hotel will appeal but as in Sheila P's case a trip to the local bars was needed to avoid the over emphasis on bingo and amateur club acts.
So Thomson Gold should be treated with caution.

Room Tip: First floor away from the main building Block k
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank timhickman
Derby
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Returned to Picafort Park for the 3rd time. Not disappointed! Felt great from start, meeting Lesley at the desk and she said 'welcome back', she said 'I received your email and you are in block B' which is exactly what we asked. We have now been in block A,B & C. We had a lovely holiday. Thank you to all the staff as they made everything seem so relaxing. The food was great, not always what I liked but that comes down to choice. I always found something. We were all inclusive so that is easy and I am sure that works out so much cheaper! We went on the local bus one day to Alcudia which was good but a light lunch cost us about 25euros so it soon adds up!
Sadly I have one gripe not really hotels fault. I paid Thomsons before I left for a late check out in my room as I thought, only to find I had to pack the night before and move out after breakfast on the day of departure into a top floor room in H block. This was not ideal as I have asthma and my husband is diabetic and has to go for injections at meal times. This almost spoilt our last day. We could have saved our money and followed normal procedures and checked out of our room at 12 midday using the curtacy room. It might have been easier!

Room Tip: We were in room B204 it had the advantage of a walk in shower. We had one flight of stairs
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple