We stayed for two weeks at the Vell Mari from 30th July to 13th August 2013 and on the whole this was a really nice hotel. We are a family of four with two children aged 13 and 10 and were allocated a ground floor one bedroom apartment. The room was spotlessly clean if a little dated. The air-conditioning wasn't the best, but because of the way the apartment faced it didn't get the sun full on during the day so the room kept cool anyway.
There was a wide choice of food in the restaurant and there was always something to suit all of us - even the fussiest child in our family! There were the usual all inclusive staples such as a salad cart, hot buffet with different varieties of fish, chicken and red meat which changed every day, the usual kids buffet with staples of pasta, pizza etc. plus show cooking.
For snacks through the day and evening there was a chiller cabinet in the bar filled with sandwiches and cakes and a sandwich toaster next to it. The salami and cheese toasties were particularly nice. There was plenty of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks at the bar to choose from.
There were lots of things for the kids to get involved in if they so wished with the Thomas Cook kids club and the hotel's own kids club. Our children only used the clubs a couple of times as they really enjoy being by the pool but when they did use them they had lots of fun.
All the staff from maids, bar/restaurant staff to reception were very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a problem with the phone in our room and it was sorted very quickly and efficiently.
The hotel is about a 20 minute walk to the main beach in c'an picafort which is the beach we preferred to go to as it's nice and big with lots going on. We did walk a couple of times, but as it was only 5 euros in a cab after a day at the beach it's quite nice to be driven back to the hotel in 5 minutes rather than take the "ting-ting" train (3 euros per adult and 1.5 per child and a 45 minute round trip - nice experience to go on for the children). The hotel do provide a shuttle bus service to the local small beach which is free of charge.
On the whole we had a lovely holiday at the Vell Mari and would recommend it.
There are only a couple of small niggles and here they are:
The hotel doesn't close the pool each day in the evening which is in our opinion completely unacceptable as far as health and safety goes, even at 1am we saw children still swimming in the pool on the first week (the families in question must have left at the end of our first week as we didn't see this so much on our second week there). There were no parents around watching these children (probably drinking at the bar?....) In all the years we have been holidaying abroad this is the first hotel we have ever stayed in that allows late night swimming and we have been on many, many holidays.
Another niggle was the beds - they were on the hard side. We spoke to a few different people during our stay and they all seemed to say the same so it couldn't have been just us, the only person who said she was having really a good nights sleep had a bad back and said the hard bed was perfect for her. Maybe we have all been spoilt with lovely soft beds at home.
The last niggle was the evening entertainment, we can't comment on the children's early entertainment as our children are too old to want to watch it. However the evening entertainment was very, very dated. There were a couple of live groups which were ok and a couple of magician acts but on the days in-between it was dance act after dance act after dance act!!! There are only so many times you can sit and watch a group of dancers dancing around on stage to music. We broke the evenings up by going into town at least there were different things to see and do.
The pool was clean and of a good size we did have to get up to reserve sunbeds by 7am but unfortunately that comes with a holiday abroad.
Overall a nice hotel with lots of nice features and a few little niggles but nothing too major to put you off staying there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vell Mari Hotel&Resort is located in Ca'n Picafort in the north of Majorca, just 700 meters from the beach of San Baulo with protected white sand of 17 km in length and has an excellent Mediterranean weather almost all year. The Hotel offers its guests a free shuttle to the beach. Over 30,000 m2 of facilities make Vell Mari spectacular Resort for family travel or sports enthusiasts. This Hotel is recommended for fans of Cycling and Golf. Vell Mari puts at the disposal of its clients agreements with the major Golf Courses and clubs of cycling. In addition account with 4 paddle courts, 1 tennis court, 1 minifootball field, mini gym, spa and massage area. This resort consists of 211 apartments of different categories with beautiful views of the lake 2 swimming pools surrounded by full nature. Spacious apartments in small buildings of 3 floors with facilities for handicapped people and private parking for their customers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Agoda, Lastminute, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotelopia and Hotels.com so you can book your Vell Mari Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Vell Mari Hotel Ca`n Picafort
- Iberostar Sa Coma
- Iberostar Hotel Vell Mari
- Vell Mari Hotel & Resort Ca'n Picafort, Majorca